Princess 43 Build

Erik C

Visit site
Even if the OP doesn't want/need airco for me it would makes sense to fit an airco capable generator anyway thinking it would help the resale value of the boat.

Powersalt

Visit site
Traveled down to Princess Yachts in Mayfair London last week to meet with James and confirm all the order. Nice day checking through the specification, started sweating when James wheeled the Fendi brochures through for my wife to look at!

So here's what we got coming.*

Princess 43 with Volvo D6
Variable Speed Bow & Stern Thrusters
Steel Grey Hull
Walnut Interior Satin Finish
Electric Double Berth Conversion in Cabin
Flybridge Wet Bar with Electric Griddle
Leather Ice White in Saloon
Jacaranda Carpet Throughout
Guest Heads White Mossic Tiles with Black Worktop
Master Heads White Mossic Tiles with White Top
Transom Hydraulics
7KW Generator
40' 3D TV with upgraded Fusion AV700i
Raymarine E125 Chart Plotter Lower & Upper Helm
Volvo Interface to Raymarine
Eberspacher Heating
System 2 Y Valve Holding Tank

Some other techie bits discussed which I'll go into some more detail later once we get further down the line.
If you can think of anything I've missed let me know?

I saw a 43 fitted with dishwasher, washing machine and freezer, all fitted in well.
What about Radar, ais and maybe wi fi booster?

jfm

Visit site
Even if the OP doesn't want/need airco for me it would makes sense to fit an airco capable generator anyway thinking it would help the resale value of the boat.
7Kw is fine for running airco on a 45 foot boat imho. Even if you got a very high end split system you'd want say 4 Tons max, which would be 15 amps for the chiller (soft start) and 4 amps total for the pumps and air handlers. A more basic system would be happy on 15 amps all in. 7kva genset can make say 28 amps

jfm

Visit site
JFM,
If you don't mind explaining, what spec of camera did you use and where did you mount it for the AnCam. Quite fancy connecting that to the chart plotter.
If you're going to do this you must get the video lead and 12v dc supply installed in the build if Princess will agree. I used a Garmin camera but there are plenty of others you can use. https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/marine/cameras/gc-10/prod37695.html

The Garmin cam is a rebadged one made by another manufacturer whose name I forget but can look up. You can throw the camera away and fit a new one if the elements corrode it after a while, so consider it partly disposable. You need, I suggest, a dome type, not the type that is a cylinder on a stalk. There are no compatibility issues here - so long as the camera is video over coax (not IP) it will feed any modern plotter via the video in socket, and you can mix garmin and raymarine (I don't think Ray make a dome type). You can also use the IP type camera and connect to Raymarine's Ethernet, but I feel that is more complex and doesn't add anything to the proceedings

It's a really worthwhile gizmo in my opinion. I use it every time I anchor

There are 2 schools of thought on mounting - side view (my preference, see first 10 secs of video below, and easier to do if Princess leave you the 2 wires dangling in anchor locker) and top view (see JtB's refit thread, and involves threading cabling in the pulpit tubing). I prefer the side view so the fact it is easier to install is a bonus, but it is each to their own.

Last edited:

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
On our Trader 42 (about 45 feet overall) a 8Kw genset happily powers the pump and three air handling units covering three cabins and the saloon. Keeps the boat cool or hot as required although we do have Eberspacher heating also for cold north European nights.

Sounds a great boat. Hope you have many happy days aboard.

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
Each to own but I'm happy with Fusion 700. I'm no audiophile but the integration with nav screens is an incredibly useful function. You can adjust volume during dinner from your iPhone - soften it if it is hampering conversation and wind it up for the best bit of the track. I think the head unit is better than the speakers though and I would fit a sub plus maybe swap out the speakers later

Agree, the integration on the raymarine is good fun but seems a bit pointless, why not control the tracks/volume from the phone? If op is not already doing so he should get the BT dongle for the fusion.

Re the fusion, no wifi streaming from the phone, Bluetooth as an add on, no blue ray and so on....it depends what the cost is, might be worth having for the cabling and speakers with a view to replacing down the line but I wouldn't spec one for my house or apartment. It just seems a bit last gen, (I have fusion on my boat btw).

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
Just the standard shafts. No option on the 43 for IPS, which is just fine as I don't really like the IPS units. I think maintenance on those units would be high. Don't have any data of course to support that thought but just a gut feel. The reason I selected the upgrade was really to get a higher spec bow thruster and I occasionally sail on my own so having a hold function might be useful. !

We're getting a few video/audio upgrades done and nearer delivery James from BCU is going to put me in contact with his electrical guy to spec it all out so that may involve head unit upgrade. Is the fusion 700 that bad, need to check the specs.

Sorry, had forgotton this has already been covered :)
Really looking forward to hearing your opinion of the variable thrusters...
Have posted re fusion 700, no they are not that bad at all, just a little last gen. I'd get hold of a BT adaptor for at least your main unit as it's nice to be able to thrown tracks from the phone to the Fusion. (I also use mine for hands free calls when under way).
Look forward to seeing your factory visit pictures!

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
If you're going to do this you must get the video lead and 12v dc supply installed in the build if Princess will agree. I used a Garmin camera but there are plenty of others you can use. https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/marine/cameras/gc-10/prod37695.html

The Garmin cam is a rebadged one made by another manufacturer whose name I forget but can look up. You can throw the camera away and fit a new one if the elements corrode it after a while, so consider it partly disposable. You need, I suggest, a dome type, not the type that is a cylinder on a stalk. There are no compatibility issues here - so long as the camera is video over coax (not IP) it will feed any modern plotter via the video in socket, and you can mix garmin and raymarine (I don't think Ray make a dome type). You can also use the IP type camera and connect to Raymarine's Ethernet, but I feel that is more complex and doesn't add anything to the proceedings

It's a really worthwhile gizmo in my opinion. I use it every time I anchor

There are 2 schools of thought on mounting - side view (my preference, see first 10 secs of video below, and easier to do if Princess leave you the 2 wires dangling in anchor locker) and top view (see JtB's refit thread, and involves threading cabling in the pulpit tubing). I prefer the side view so the fact it is easier to install is a bonus, but it is each to their own.

By contrast, here's the view from my take on the Ancam

DSC00479_zpsonnfzb4p.jpg

I agree however that the gen I :D:D ancam is much easier to install, mainly because you don't need any custom fabrication, and also because the cable routing is much easier (I had to cut the connectors off the end of the camera pigtail so that it was small enough to mouse through the rails from the pulpit).

To the OP - that's a nice spec you've got there. What performance are Princess suggesting with the D6's and your build?

jfm

Visit site
gen I :D:D ancam ...
Oi! I'll be sending you an AnCamTM royalty invoice if you're not careful :cool:

With respect, and I hear what you say, and I'm not disagreeing with you, and very interesting, but I think yours is set up a bit skewwhiff. The white roller should be at bottom of your frame imho. As currently configured, the bottom 1/3rd of your picture conveys no information. You want to see more of what is in front of you imho

Yup, looking forward to AnCamCunPlanTM. I'm guessing it will take power from the windlass, use an IP cam, and beam wireless pictures

MapisM

Visit site
Why are we all calling it AnCam?
I can't get my tongue round the word.
I would have thought that AnchorCam was much easier to say.
I'll tell you why.
Back in 2013, AnchorCam is actually the name jfm was using for the thing, till during a querelle on its usefulness, someone more used to a language in which AnCam is fairly easy to pronounce came up with the idea of shortening the name - jfm is only guilty to have eventually endorsed it... :D
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...3-Fairline-Squadron-78)&p=4267482#post4267482

Nice thread btw, I've only just seen it now.
@ 47GC: "Transom Hydraulics", wazzat?

Cumba

Visit site
Nice boat and nice specs!! Especially the hull color will look good!

As JFM mentioned, upgrading the charger is a good idea and while your add it, maybe fit an inverter/charger. You don't have to run the genny all the time for 230v. and the inverter can handle peak loads when starting up electrical equipment. Mastervolt and Victron makes some nice combi units.

Also I would spec that both engines can charge all the batteries, usually only one engine is rigged to the house battery, but I would connect both alternators so that all batteries are charged.

I hope this helps.

Hurricane

Visit site
OK - so its AnCam then.

Yup, looking forward to AnCamCunPlanTM. I'm guessing it will take power from the windlass, use an IP cam, and beam wireless pictures

Not quite - I've had that idea for a while but I'm thinking of something wired.
I think I have sorted a route for wires.
One of my problems is that there is no extra capacity for wires to the FB so the ships PC will probably get another job.
Parts are ordered and SWMBO is bringing them out.
Now - where to place it Sideview or Birdseye view AnCam - or both perhaps!!
Actually, if possible, I would like it to see dolphins as well - would this be a DolCam or maybe a DollyCam then!!!
I'll post if the CunPlan comes to anything.

Now then - who is claiming copyright - I think that the idea may have come from me.
Some people think it was originally my idea.
In fact, it wasn't (so I won't make a full claim) - it was the delivery skipper who delivered JW - he said - cameras in the engine room are a bit of a waste of time and couldn't understand why people didn't fit them in the most useful place - viewing the anchor.
So, I do think it was me that brought the idea into the market - JFM is credited with actually installing the idea.
I'd love to catch up with you guys who have actually done it though.
Maybe........

jfm

Visit site
I'll tell you why.
Back in 2013, AnchorCam is actually the name jfm was using for the thing, till during a querelle on its usefulness, someone more used to a language in which AnCam is fairly easy to pronounce came up with the idea of shortening the name - jfm is only guilty to have eventually endorsed it... :D
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...3-Fairline-Squadron-78)&p=4267482#post4267482

Nice thread btw, I've only just seen it now.
@ 47GC: "Transom Hydraulics", wazzat?
:D :D :D Good history lesson
Still on history, IIRC you invented the AnCam concept MM didn't you? I mean you were first on here to suggest it (IIRC). Or were you - Hurricane suggests differently above - I'm not sure (?) Would have to look back at Hurricane's build and delivery threads I think
It would be ironic if you invented the concept, and never even liked the thing!
I think 47GC is referring to hi-lo platform, which is an option on princess 43

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
:D :D :D Good history lesson
Still on history, IIRC you invented the AnCam concept MM didn't you? I mean you were first on here to suggest it (IIRC). Or were you - Hurricane suggests differently above - I'm not sure (?) Would have to look back at Hurricane's build and delivery threads I think
It would be ironic if you invented the concept, and never even liked the thing!
I think 47GC is referring to hi-lo platform, which is an option on princess 43

Same thread - post number 92 explains it all :D:D:D

Also good pic in that post from JFM - might help 47GC with his decision

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Still on history, IIRC you invented the AnCam concept MM didn't you?
Nope, I believe it was indeed a Hurricane idea, well at least here in the asylum, anyway. My only contribution was the shortened nickname.
The only relevant (well, sort of) thing which I can recall to have been the first to suggest, but you actually implemented in M2, is the fresh water flushing system.

Thanks for the hint re. the hi-lo platform, I kinda thought of it, but I would have sweared that it's standard on the P43.