Princess 43 Build

47GC

Visit site
Thinking of upgrading the standard e Series raymarine chart plotter to the eS range. The upgrade cost is not significant to worry about, what I'm more worried about is the cosmetic difference between the eS which has sharp edges rather that the rounded edges on the other instrument displays. Any thoughts, I maybe just overthinking the whole thing??

AllanG

Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the eS series can be rear mounted, which would 'hide' the square edges of the casing.......worth asking Raymarine for confirmation?

jfm

Visit site
Those pdf templates for proper rear/flush mounting are ridiculous. You cannot cut an aperture like that from a printed pdf template. You need a CAD file, and you need to be able to mount the dashboard surface in a CNC machine big enough for the job. Well, CNC isn't strictly necessary for such a simple shape: you could do it in a big milling machine that you operate manually, but again the pdf template is of no use/is a joke. Either way, you cannot do it with hand tools

47GC

Visit site
Those pdf templates for proper rear/flush mounting are ridiculous. You cannot cut an aperture like that from a printed pdf template. You need a CAD file, and you need to be able to mount the dashboard surface in a CNC machine big enough for the job. Well, CNC isn't strictly necessary for such a simple shape: you could do it in a big milling machine that you operate manually, but again the pdf template is of no use/is a joke. Either way, you cannot do it with hand tools

That's what I thought, if there was a frame that went with the unit I could understand cutting out the hole with manual tools but the whole frame would just make it ugly looking. I think I'll go for the eS unit and as soon as/if raymarine release squarer looking instruments then with a bit of luck it will be plug n play to replace them. Then all the electronics will look cosmetically better on the dashes.

TwoHooter

Visit site
A big thing for me (and something I would definitely do if I spec'd anew boat) is to have a PC video (and audio) fed throughout the boat. I know that it sounds a bit OTT but it has really given me all the options for lots of little extras over the years. And it goes on giving me those extra options. One very useful extra that the PC provides is a completely parallel navigation system which then becomes very useful for planning trips etc. And as you see from my Sardinia thread, very easily provides a graphical record (log) of everywhere we go. All this without compromising the dedicated plotters etc.

This is a project I have just started thinking about for our boat. Should I start a new thread? Don't want to hijack 47GC's space. Or has the subject been done to death somewhere already?

47GC

Visit site
That's me sorted, upgraded to the eS on both helms. Cost was negligible IMO which was nice. Weve also got the Volvo Engine Interface option selected and cabling from cameras back to the unit. Fusion integration so I can control the music from the fly bridge etc and by iPhone/Pad type devices. All look good. Thanks again forum! -g

jfm

Visit site
That's what I thought, if there was a frame that went with the unit I could understand cutting out the hole with manual tools but the whole frame would just make it ugly looking. I think I'll go for the eS unit and as soon as/if raymarine release squarer looking instruments then with a bit of luck it will be plug n play to replace them. Then all the electronics will look cosmetically better on the dashes.
Yep we're thinking on same lines. I did it with my smaller garmin instruments (see pic) but they fit into a painted aluminium panel that then fits into the GRP fly dash moulding, so I only needed someone with a CNC cutter big enough for the aluminium panel rather than the whole dash moulding. Plus, the panel was painted after cutting, which is easy with a separate panel but quite a mission if you're cutting into a GRP moulding. Hence, I did this only for the small Garmin screens, not the big Garmin 15inch screens. Sadly, I think you have to abandon this idea for your big plotter screens but you could consider it (after delivery?) for the smaller instruments, depending on the exact dash design. Garmin supplied the CAD files

For inspiration/google imaging, the one mainstream builder who does a great job in rear mounting Raymarine screens is sanLorenzo. Look at some of their lower helms in their 72/82- they were doing this way back even when the raymarine e120 was a current model. Their upstairs dashboards are hideous but they do a smart job on lower helms. Again they use separate aluminium panels placed on the dashboard; they don't cut the GRP or wood dashboard panel itself

178F3C6C-6D59-412D-AF66-9A76F2729C8F.jpg

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Thinking of upgrading the standard e Series raymarine chart plotter to the eS range. The upgrade cost is not significant to worry about, what I'm more worried about is the cosmetic difference between the eS which has sharp edges rather that the rounded edges on the other instrument displays. Any thoughts, I maybe just overthinking the whole thing??

I've specified eS series on my 43. Surface rather than flush mounted. Other instruments can be ordered with black bezels in lieu of silver which IMO looks much more compatible.

halcyon

Visit site
If you mean in parallel, afaik that's rather tricky. Not just a matter of snaking an additional cable, anyway...

During the 1980's we supplied all Sealine twin engine boats with a VSR that allowed both engines to charge all three battery banks. When Sealine went to the same system as Princess ( cost saving ) we noticed a drop in recharge levels, resulting from one alternator supplying both power to run boat and recharge service battery bank at the same time. The load , nav equip, fridges, etc draws power from the alternator which can reduce top end charge voltage adding to the problem, this noticed following anchoring. The system also provided a secondary function in backing-up a faulty alternator, ensuring all batteries were charged.

Brian

Brian

MapisM

Visit site
Nah, I saw the pic yesterday night.
He must have just renamed the folder or moved the pic elsewhere without adjusting the link, here you go....
A7752C02-6124-4911-A9A9-9DB1F134D239_zpszmy1zrqh.jpg

47GC

Visit site
How long is it predicted to take to build ?

Henry
6 month build Henry, looks like mid March 2016 we will handover. Wife busy getting fabrics and all sorts. She tells me 21 scatter cushions are ordered, I did ask her if she had been talking to JFM. Just got a funny look, so left it at that! ;)

TwoHooter

Visit site
21 scatter cushions are ordered, I did ask her if she had been talking to JFM. Just got a funny look, so left it at that! ;)
Just got back from trip to the Caribbean - suitcases stuffed with scatter cushions for the new-to-us boat - the right kind of scatter cushions you understand, made in USA, not available in Europe (how would I know?). And very nice they are too. Scallops and starfish and similar maritime motifs, all very subdued and exactly the right hue (tone? colour temperature? :confused:)...
Can't possible have a boat without the right scatter cushions y'know. It might sink or something.