Princess 43 Build

jfm

Visit site
You'll be in a P65 by then....BCU will let you know when you can afford one! :)
Haha you know them too well Nigel!

47GC this forum can obviously help you map out the hotspots for loose women and night clubs right across the Med. Ask Nick Barke to fix you up with a week asap on their Targa 47 in Cala D'Or; you'll love it

47GC

Visit site
Haha you know them too well Nigel!

47GC this forum can obviously help you map out the hotspots for loose women and night clubs right across the Med. Ask Nick Barke to fix you up with a week asap on their Targa 47 in Cala D'Or; you'll love it
Funny that, was speak to a pal the other day and he's fancying a 'fishing' trip. Might just ask James for a 'deal'...

47GC

Visit site
Thinking about the battery charger on the boat. Anyone know if the standard spec will include an invertor? Is it a good idea to run a 240v TV off the house batteries and any idea how long it would run for before the battery got discharged? Also if it is running on the inverter then I assume there is an alarm or something at 50% discharge, as you don't want to suck the life out of the batteries do you? Anyone with experience with this? I've got a Generator but was thinking it would be nice without all the noise? Thoughts?

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Thinking about the battery charger on the boat. Anyone know if the standard spec will include an invertor? Is it a good idea to run a 240v TV off the house batteries and any idea how long it would run for before the battery got discharged? Also if it is running on the inverter then I assume there is an alarm or something at 50% discharge, as you don't want to suck the life out of the batteries do you? Anyone with experience with this? I've got a Generator but was thinking it would be nice without all the noise? Thoughts?

Modern LED TV's use hardly any juice. My TV is only 28", but I have it and the sound system, sky box and DVD all running off a tiny inverter. I think you could run a modern TV for days off a decent bank of house batteries.

BartW

www.amptec.be
..... Is it a good idea to run a 240v TV off the house batteries and any idea how long it would run for before the battery got discharged? Also if it is running on the inverter then I assume there is an alarm or something at 50% discharge, as you don't want to suck the life out of the batteries do you? Anyone with experience with this? I've got a Generator but was thinking it would be nice without all the noise? Thoughts?

we have two 5KW invertors onboard (ao to run the stabs during navigation from the alternators)
on anchor we run the boat on invertors almost permanently

modern invertors:
can be programmed to switch off when the battery's are hamered,
But they "read" the voltage, and that is not a accurate indicator of the state of charge of the battery's, (when you use the inv intensively as I do)
better is to add a "battery monitor" such a unit measures the current that goes in and out the battery's,
and knows (calculates/integrates) the charge condition.
such a unit can give a alarm, or switch off the invertor,
or
switch on the generator automatically (as we have it)

Hurricane

Visit site

This probably doesn't help - our Princess is 8 years old now.
But on our boat, Princess fitted a small Victron 750w inverter - just for the main TV and Bose system.
You may find that they will do the same for yours.
If it is, that small inverter is great for all the entertainment kit - on ours, it also runs all the PC/LAN equipment and a Sky box.
We have never needed a bigger inverter.

Princess are very bad (at the time ours was built) at providing any DC monitoring so it is easy to run the house/service batteries down.
They didn't even provide a DC volt meter on ours.
I fitted a digital Victron Battery Monitor which monitors the house/service bank and the engine batteries.
No alarms fitted to ours but thinking about it, an alarm would be a good idea.

Our battery charger is a big Mastervolt 24/100 (100amps at 24v) - although the battery monitor has only ever shown a max of 80 amps.
This Mastervolt charger that Princess fitted is perfectly good enough.

Our house/service bank is 6 off 120ah 12v batteries which is ok for overnight - at night we discharge at about 8 amps to 10 amps (24v) - that includes a 3 fridges, 1 freezer a PC and lighting.

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
I fitted a digital Victron Battery Monitor which monitors the house/service bank and the engine batteries.
No alarms fitted to ours but thinking about it, an alarm would be a good idea.

Mike, the Victron Battery Monitor BMV....is what we have,
the unit has a integrated buzzer, you need to do the setting, the manual is online
and it has a relay contact for a alarm or genny start...

MapisM

Visit site
But on our boat, Princess fitted a small Victron 750w inverter
M, no disrespect for JW, which is a beautiful boat indeed - and overall, much better than mine.
But she deserves a larger inverter, imho.

Last year I had my first season with a Victron 3kW inverter installed - btw, one of the two units that BartW removed from BA after upgrading to 2x5kW units, which probably make BA the most electrically powerful 70 footer on this planet! :) (thanks again B!).

As a result, my genset usage was reduced dramatically.
Particularly during day trips, in the past I had to turn it on for running the microwave oven, the coffee machine, or whatever. Not anymore.
Of course I still can't run the a/c or the full cooktop out of the inverter, but that's pointless anyway.
In my experience, a 3kW inverter is good enough to avoid turning the genset on, most of the times you normally should - hence it's well worth having.
750W is obviously better than nothing, but in a typical day trip where you want to warm up some food and make some coffee, that's not enough.

Hurricane

Visit site
M, no disrespect for JW, which is a beautiful boat indeed - and overall, much better than mine.
But she deserves a larger inverter, imho.

Last year I had my first season with a Victron 3kW inverter installed - btw, one of the two units that BartW removed from BA after upgrading to 2x5kW units, which probably make BA the most electrically powerful 70 footer on this planet! :) (thanks again B!).

As a result, my genset usage was reduced dramatically.
Particularly during day trips, in the past I had to turn it on for running the microwave oven, the coffee machine, or whatever. Not anymore.
Of course I still can't run the a/c or the full cooktop out of the inverter, but that's pointless anyway.
In my experience, a 3kW inverter is good enough to avoid turning the genset on, most of the times you normally should - hence it's well worth having.
750W is obviously better than nothing, but in a typical day trip where you want to warm up some food and make some coffee, that's not enough.

OK - I appreciate what you are saying.
But I can't think of a case where I would need a 3Kw inverter.
Maybe a kettle but with only 720ah in the batteries (remember that less than half of that is usable), I wouldn't want to be using the batteries for anything much more than running the fridges.
There are a few times - maybe twice a week when we want a pot of tea or a coffee and the genset needs to be switched on.
Other than that, the times when we need more power usually coincide with the daily battery charging (once in the morning and then again before bed).
And also remember that these cases are only at anchor - in the marina, an inverter is useless.

MapisM

Visit site
Maybe a kettle but with only 720ah in the batteries (remember that less than half of that is usable), I wouldn't want to be using the batteries for anything much more than running the fridges.
Ok, it surely depends on your needs/habits.
For us, during day trips, the only reason for turning the genset on has always been the microwave oven and the espresso machine - or possibly for recharging some mobile phone, PC, whatever, but you can handle that also with 750W of course.
I would run neither the coffee machine nor the microwave for more than a few minutes, but that's all we need.
I've seen absorptions in excess of 2kW, but just for a minute or two - something that the batteries took in their stride.
Anyway, just a thought! :)