Prices going down already me thinks

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Being a person who tends to wake up early in the morning I spend the time between 5.30 and 6.30 on my ipad looking at boats and other stuff on line and also boat prices and availability. It seems to me that some level of sense is returning and prices seem to be falling and availability seems to be getting more.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
September and October are infront of us. It always happens this time of the year so nothing new.
Still having checked some prices this morning (like every morning) I saw them like for like to those of two/three months ago. ps. I usually ignore the over price stuff with most of that currently located in UK

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Are you implying that some level of sense ever existed with pleasure boats - regardless of whether used or new?
Seriously?

well I tend to be looking at smaller boats and have 3 fletcher bow riders with lovely engines I bought for no more than £6000 Each and a Sealine S24 with KAD 32 for £18000 so yes at some point I think there were some sensible prices about

prinex

Visit site
When the next 12000 Euro for the berth in Italy, the 9000 Euro teak "that really needs to be done", and the many 1000/2000 Euro bills (upholstery, some ding damage, anchor winch makes strange noises etc) will raise their ugly heads before the first snow falls... And the engine hatch has not even been lifted yet..

That's the moment when you have to land your mighty blow.

Even more astonishing the amount of boats where the owner stubbornly wants way too much money for and are left rotting away in the marina or on dry dock in the absurd hope that they will gain value next year. In the share market we say "the sucker is always long" (meaning they keep their falling share no matter what and are left with zero value) so maybe those owners are the same individuals.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I'm banking on it. We currently have a Yamarin 59HT on which we do a lot of day boating with the odd nights away "glamping". She is a great little boat but we had hoped to buy something bigger and travel further and for longer and as luck - and bad timing - would have it we started looking early last year. The perfect storm of lockdowns and Brexit followed by the huge price hikes has meant that we have parked the idea for the short term and hope that there will be some sort of reversion to something like sensible this autumn. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Momac

Visit site
Some boats selling very quickly around here - before advertised so don't even know asking prices .
Others asking very silly money not moving.

oldgit

Visit site
Some boats selling very quickly around here - before advertised so don't even know asking prices .
Others asking very silly money not moving.

Market Slowing ..........not here in the prosperous South.
Chum rang yesrterday about P40 on the Solent, listed the previous evening..................Sorry deposit already taken.
Broom 33 dropped off at Penton Hook sales pontoon yesterday .
Broker wants all junk cleared by this morning . 2 possible buyers already lined up coming to view in the afternoon.

julians

Visit site
Interesting hearing tales of a booming second hand boat market in the uk.

Dont want to fall foul of the rules (already had my wrist slapped once by the mods) , so I wont post a link, but this is 100% relevent to this thread, I'm trying to sell my boat located in majorca and not having much success, however the same model boat but 7 years older , but advertised at £10k more than mine is advertised for went up for sale located in the UK, and appears to have sold in a week.

Meanwhile mine is not getting a shred of interest in majorca- no viewings - can only conclude its too pricey for the local market, will see how it goes.

oldgit

Visit site
..........there are several very attractively priced boats in the Med that would suit my requirements but its viewing and then getting them back to UK that negates any price advantage at the moment.
Could sell my boat tomorrow, its finding a replacement thats the problem.
Within our boat club several boats have changed hands within the club, sales of the less "nice" boats have all been via brokers.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Market Slowing ..........not here in the prosperous South.

Broker wants all junk cleared by this morning . 2 possible buyers already lined up coming to view in the afternoon.
Sounds familiar and we are the less prosperous east midlands - viewings very soon after as broker is notified and before owner has cleared personal stuff. Buyers feeling need to decide there and then as someone else will be along in an hour.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Interesting hearing tales of a booming second hand boat market in the uk.

Dont want to fall foul of the rules (already had my wrist slapped once by the mods) , so I wont post a link, but this is 100% relevent to this thread, I'm trying to sell my boat located in majorca and not having much success, however the same model boat but 7 years older , but advertised at £10k more than mine is advertised for went up for sale located in the UK, and appears to have sold in a week.

Meanwhile mine is not getting a shred of interest in majorca- no viewings - can only conclude its too pricey for the local market, will see how it goes.

Can you bring your Windy back to the UK? You’ve got till the end of the year without paying VAT… if it was VAT paid before 31/12/20 and you’re a UK tax resident….I think ??

Portofino

Visit site
I guess the staycation factor is weak or worse still negative on a big Med island .
Mainlander locals will err away from flying / airports .It’s not as if Sp has not got any Med coast is it .
If you are gonna trek , taste the staycation route why build in the future hassle of extra travel be it air or ferry when the Spector of lock downs and price ransoms loom ?

Secondly the local residents economy is tourist dependent and they have there own boats anyhow .
So a local bar owner or hotel laundry service guy is not gonna be thinking it’s time to change up from a battered , tatty rib to a nice Windy any time soon . They will be hanging on to any cash they have right now uncertain what happens next re Covid waves etc etc .

Our Marina in Liguria is now full in the 40-60 ftr , the majority of berths .It wasn’t a couple of years ago pre covid .
They all drive down from the industrial N of italy , S Switzerland, in a morning .The week ends are rammed .
My 31-12-21 pic , the guy almost opposite had sold and in Jan a replacement went in his spot .

1D466BB9-1DCB-4C85-9869-0C7E4CA98E90.jpeg F70203A1-CB92-42CF-BB0E-C5EF4B0F54DB.jpeg
Summer 2019 ( sorry guys for the rotation ) ^ My spots behind the phantom 50 with the beige Bimini .

Looking at the dealer stickers on the cars they are from Turin / Milan areas .
D3E193FF-FC90-4EB7-9561-D13DB1F4B31F.jpeg
About March this year .Full !

@ Julian’s - how full are the Marina berths for the Windy ? Kinda barometer?

julians

Visit site
Can you bring your Windy back to the UK? You’ve got till the end of the year without paying VAT… if it was VAT paid before 31/12/20 and you’re a UK tax resident….I think ??
think that only applies if you bought the boat in the uk originally.

Whilst the boat was first bought in he Uk from berthon, it wasnt bought by me , I bought it in mallorca from the original purchaser, so I dont think I could bring it back to the UK without paying VAT again.

If I could I'm still not sure it would be worth it - If I lived near the sea in the UK i might be tempted to keep it as a Uk boat though.