Prices going down already me thinks

Visit site
There are issues with worldwide shortage of raw materials like steel resulting in price increases meaning new things like cars boats and buildings will cost more to produce or at the very least production is slowed or delayed.
At the same time much increased demand and shortage of labour resources.
Not a good thing and it seems likley to continue well into next year

I agree, I’ve just ordered 3 cars for work, first one is due in March and the others in June next year, that’s the earliest I can get them and they are nothing special.
With demand like this for new, used prices won’t be dropping much any time soon.

oldgit

Visit site
I agree, I’ve just ordered 3 cars for work, first one is due in March and the others in June next year, that’s the earliest I can get them and they are nothing special.
With demand like this for new, used prices won’t be dropping much any time soon.

Club member has just ordered a couple of new Taycans for his company runarounds :) (Catering company) , he collected his new to him boat a Broom 44 about a week ago .

Fed up with buying what he could/should and decided to buy what he actually fancied.
Another boat also about to change hands on our moorings , for very similiar reasons to above.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Without entering into the ethics debate, which is a bit pretentious in a boating forum, I hope you don't mind if I wonder why you started this thread at all.
Are you looking forward to "sensible prices" because you regret not being yet able to tell that you have a dozen of the things? :oops:

I started it because I follow prices quite keenly and look what is available on a daily basis (in the smaller boat market ) and it is my view that prices are coming down again and availability is going up. I did actually say this in my first post but hey ho

ontheplane

Visit site
Used cars are mental.

I have put up most of my stock considerably. One car we did a trade in valuation in May is now worth 5k more.....

One way to benefit though if you can is to px your car early.....

We have a customer who'd gone over their miles on their PCP - they are 18 months into a 3 year deal. We have put them in the next model up, on a 15k miles per year contract (up from 10) for zero cash in..... their monthly payment is £3 a month LOWER.

Entirely due to their personal being worth about 4k more than it should be now.....

If you are in a PCP at the moment, see if you can swap early - might save you a bomb.

julians

Visit site
Used cars are mental.

I have put up most of my stock considerably. One car we did a trade in valuation in May is now worth 5k more.....

One way to benefit though if you can is to px your car early.....

We have a customer who'd gone over their miles on their PCP - they are 18 months into a 3 year deal. We have put them in the next model up, on a 15k miles per year contract (up from 10) for zero cash in..... their monthly payment is £3 a month LOWER.

Entirely due to their personal being worth about 4k more than it should be now.....

If you are in a PCP at the moment, see if you can swap early - might save you a bomb.
I presume though - that the supply of new cars is equally affected, so you cant easily swap?

Otherwise (if the supply of new cars is not constrained), why is the price of second hand cars rising so much?

prinex

Visit site
I also follow prices (in my case 50/60 foot segment) since a while and what Im seeing now is tons of boats priced around 350K - 400K (15+ years models) which failed to sell during the summer.

And rightly so as with this prices its probably better to buy a slightly smaller boat (50f) new - you still get the mid cabin, IPS, post-sale assistance, pay less berth fees, less for fuel / repairs and have a nice new boat to shine with your friends in case you care. New boats around 50 with IPS have the same inside space of a older 56 or even 60ish boat with "normal" transmission and cooked up Volvo Pentas. As many pointed out at this used prices and with 15 years usage in mind you are almost even on costs but of course a much nicer boat.

To make an example: Absolute 56 HT made in 2008, price asked in 2013 (5 years later) was 350K. Basically a new boat and on line with the usual 100K a year depreciation for this kind of segment. Now they ask 370K for a 2007 model - 15 years of age. The same model and year of my boat is now listed for 70% more - with 8 years of age added.

Buying a 15+ years 55 foot old boat for 350K will land you in 10 years in the 50K Euro "make an offer" segment. Basically the same depreciation of a new boat but you have old the hassle of a old boat. And chance are no one wants to buy it. So they are basically way overpriced. The impression is "used boats are more expensive" - what is happening is a lot of folks are trying to get rid of their 15 or 20 years old boat and are smelling blood - maybe some fool will pay 350K for a 2002 Aicon 56 for example, or 200K for a 1995 whatever-uk-brand 55 foot. Another guy wanted 350K for a Sanlorenzo 62 year 1995 which is in Turkey and God knows if VAT has been paid, just the nightmare of survey and getting proper maintenance records let alone sail the thing home 2000 miles ... forget it. And for sure someone got suckered in and swallowed line hook and sinker.

But if you follow the boat which report "sold" after a while then is a different story. Most of the 55 range around 15 years went for 180K-200K. I had a look at one of my broker down in portosole and all the "sold" where on boat priced reasonably - that is in the 150-190K for a 2005 boat, something more when mid-cabin. Which is actually a bit more of what I expected but of course covid helped.

So what will happen now is that winter will come and all the sweet dreams of getting rid of the boat for tons of cash will evaporate and the harsh reality of another year of fees etc will say hello. Lots of boats that I follow now start to show "price reduced" - to the tune of 25% less - and is not even post Cannes / Genova where the next wave of pre-loved hits the market.

To sum it all up: Around Nov / Dec will be the time (at least in the 55+ segment) where you can start looking for a used boat, now is just mad prices and you are better off investing your time in holidays or drinks.

ontheplane

Visit site
I presume though - that the supply of new cars is equally affected, so you cant easily swap?

Otherwise (if the supply of new cars is not constrained), why is the price of second hand cars rising so much?

It is, but we are guaranteeing the px price - so if a car is due Dec, we are offering that price, if we get it wrong it’s our problem... and CAP HPi is showing Dec price as pretty much identical to now...

So people will have paid off 3 more payments, but getting the same for their car as today’s, already inflated price, so for many it’s giving more deposit than they originally put in!

lynallbel

Visit site
It is, but we are guaranteeing the px price - so if a car is due Dec, we are offering that price, if we get it wrong it’s our problem... and CAP HPi is showing Dec price as pretty much identical to now...

So people will have paid off 3 more payments, but getting the same for their car as today’s, already inflated price, so for many it’s giving more deposit than they originally put in!

I read that Cap prices are not keeping up with the market?

LBRodders

Visit site

julians

Visit site
Same engine as ours. 6.2 - 350.

Obviously an attempt to claw some money back.

This engine [and the right leg [B3]] on a pallet delivered [if that is even possible atm or the near future] is circa 25k, possibly more now.

Crazy times.

edited - talking tosh*

Actually I think its the otehr way round the B1 is supposedly batter at handling high power/torque application than the B3, but I think in this case either a B1 or B3 would be fine in terms of ability to handle the power/torque.

You then get into the pro's and cons of duoprop vs single prop.

Its the alpha 1 drive that can be exposed as a bit fragile with high power/torque

LBRodders

Visit site
Why B3 leg

Part of my talking tosh that I missed in the edit. (y) :p

Think the B1 is slightly cheaper, but in the game of re-engine'in you are talking peanuts. As an advert dazzler two shiny things beat 1.

In the likely event that the throttle and steering mismatched you can throw the best part of a grands worth of parts on top. Even so, it'd be silly not to do at the same time anyway.

Throw in the costs of pulling the old one out and fitting the new, probably a bit of transom, fuel and electric husbandry and I doubt the invoice would start with a 2 :p

sailorman

Visit site
There's are 3 examples of my model of boat currently for sale (trying not to get slapped on wrist again by moderators, so no links), a year 2000 diesel model for £50k in the UK, now under offer after a week. A year 1999 petrol model located in mallorca for £30k, been for sale for a while. And mine a 2007 diesel, in mallorca for £42k.
good news for me I'm in the market for an antaries760 having found myself bottles for the first time in 50 yrs