Panic Button

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Talking of ergonomics, in the panel of the original post, having gas next to the tricolour doesn't seem a great idea.

Shouldn't gas be a tap rather than a switch anyway?

I'd be a bit miffed if someone turned off the cooker at the wrong moment when messing around with the nav lights...
It might be the gas ignition as I have never seen cooking gas turned off by 12v switch and control solenoid. On the other hand it might be the lpg gas detector in the bilges though ideally that should be unswitched and permanently direct to battery

dankilb

Visit site
It might be the gas ignition as I have never seen cooking gas turned off by 12v switch and control solenoid. On the other hand it might be the lpg gas detector in the bilges though ideally that should be unswitched and permanently direct to battery
Was thinking the same... AFAIK our gas solenoid and alarm are just to the ‘always-on’ busbar. Never thought of adding a switch/breaker.

Leighb

Visit site
On our previous boat we had the probably original and corroded gas system replaced from bottle to cooker. A solenoid valve was fitted in the gas locker controlled by a switch in the galley. There was also a tap where the flexible hose to the cooker joined. The switch meant not having to go out into the rain to turn the gas off at the bottle. The same solenoid was controlled by the alarm system.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
On our previous boat we had the probably original and corroded gas system replaced from bottle to cooker. A solenoid valve was fitted in the gas locker controlled by a switch in the galley. There was also a tap where the flexible hose to the cooker joined. The switch meant not having to go out into the rain to turn the gas off at the bottle. The same solenoid was controlled by the alarm system.
I live and learn. However if it is connected in normally-on mode it will not turn gas off if power fails - unsafe - if the other way round it will turn off the gas if the power goes down. So failure of battery means that you cant even cook as you sail home with all electrics dead. I had plenty of electric issues on boats in bad weather. The sea atmosphere is a corrosion starter and bouncing things in F7 chop causes random disconnection not always readily fixable without at least a cup of tea first

dankilb

Visit site
I live and learn. However if it is connected in normally-on mode it will not turn gas off if power fails - unsafe - if the other way round it will turn off the gas if the power goes down. So failure of battery means that you cant even cook as you sail home with all electrics dead. I had plenty of electric issues on boats in bad weather. The sea atmosphere is a corrosion starter and bouncing things in F7 chop causes random disconnection not always readily fixable without at least a cup of tea first
Basically, yes - no power = no gas! To be honest I've never really considered this, as we're so reliant on 12v that if the power was out, I'd have more to worry about than making a cuppa (...even!). You can always by-pass the solenoid in an emergency (with a bit of hose or a joiner), as per this thread: https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/if-no-power-how-do-i-bypass-the-gas-solenoid.479721/

Leighb

Visit site
It was definitely fail safe, we never had an electrical failure Per Se, but there was one embarrassing incident when SWMBO couldn’t light the gas, because yours truly had forgotten to turn on the main switch.!

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site

Blubelle

Visit site
I can remember when my late parents bought a Nicholson 30 and was being exhibited at the Earls Court London Boat Show. It was supposed to rate as a half tonner but the rating on the first boat came out too low, so they increased the mast by 2½ feet. As we raced as a family, my mother casually said it sounded a bit like the new boat was going to be a mummy scarer. Well that sorted the the name as Mumeskara. Back to the show on opening day. The B&G instruments were fixed either side of the companionway, 3 to starboard and 2 to port. Whilst perusing the chandlers up on the balcony, we spotted a self adhesive Panic Button. We rushed back down to the boat and had to argue with the staff on the stand as they did not think it was "quite" right to fix it to the boat. My father just said it was his boat and it was going under the port instruments. Later the staff did say it caused so much amusement as lots of visitors would try and secretly press the button to see what happened.
I now have the sailboat (Mumeskara) which was renamed Blubelle and sails in the clyde :)

Concerto

Visit site
I now have the sailboat (Mumeskara) which was renamed Blubelle and sails in the clyde :)
Glad to hear Mumeskara, now called Bluebell, is now on the Clyde. We raced her hard on the East Coast and had a lot of success with many high places and a few wins in big fleets. I doubt if you will ever put her on the plane, but we did this multiple times. A mishaps also occured including loosing a mast due to a manufacturing fault - the day after we won a Burnham Week race by over 5 minutes over Richard Matthews with his new UFO34 with a professional crew - he later started Oyster boats. We also had a lot of contact with the designer over the modification to remove the full depth skeg that had her too directionally stable. The first replacement rudder broke on the first outing and we made a new one in a week. So many stories I could tell. Maybe next year we could meet whilst I am doing a Round the UK trip.

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site
I kept my first Garmin 50 s/h gps in a waterproof Tupperware box with the words “ only to be opened in emergencies” written on the lid ..

just a nod to self really to do the blurry chart work rather than just pushing a button on something permanently rigged ?

Oh how we have changed , prob for the better ?

Caraway

Visit site
e8ce5c348efdc884d34ea19bb42c7d10.gif

penfold

Visit site
It deploys the Emergency Bum Wipe concealed in a hidden panel in the cabin lining.
On the first boat I worked on after qualifying the engine control room had a small red painted glass-fronted wooden box in the style of a fire alarm point; the Dymo tape legend said "break glass in emergency" and behind the pane was a roll of toilet paper.

Stemar

Visit site
One of these two certainly used their panic button.... and the other thought he had just had an engine failure!

2 planes collide mid-air near Denver, no one injured | ABC7 - YouTube
"The two planes were cleared to land on parallel runways, but one overshot the approach".

Sounds to me like an inevitability, sooner or later. OK, I'm not going to pretend to any expertise, but my risk assessment for landing aircraft on parallel runways sets of a huge alarm. Land on one, take off on the other, no problem, but simultaneous landings? Bad enough with all professional pilots, but throw amateurs of varying skill levels and beer consumption into the equation and... :eek: ? :eek:

Blubelle

Visit site
Glad to hear Mumeskara, now called Bluebell, is now on the Clyde. We raced her hard on the East Coast and had a lot of success with many high places and a few wins in big fleets. I doubt if you will ever put her on the plane, but we did this multiple times. A mishaps also occured including loosing a mast due to a manufacturing fault - the day after we won a Burnham Week race by over 5 minutes over Richard Matthews with his new UFO34 with a professional crew - he later started Oyster boats. We also had a lot of contact with the designer over the modification to remove the full depth skeg that had her too directionally stable. The first replacement rudder broke on the first outing and we made a new one in a week. So many stories I could tell. Maybe next year we could meet whilst I am doing a Round the UK trip.
Would be glad to meet up if you are on the Clyde :) im sure you have a few stories to tell.

Concerto

Visit site
Would be glad to meet up if you are on the Clyde :) im sure you have a few stories to tell.
You need to post a few more times on the forum before I can send you a private message with my contact details. I know somewhere I have some photos of Mumeskara by a professional photographer which once I have located them will scan them to send copies to you.

Blubelle

Visit site
Hi Concerto, when your family had Mumeskara can you recall ever taking the keel off ? also did you have extra ballast installed when you raised the mast height?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
On the first boat I worked on after qualifying the engine control room had a small red painted glass-fronted wooden box in the style of a fire alarm point; the Dymo tape legend said "break glass in emergency" and behind the pane was a roll of toilet paper.
Reminds me of the "invention", years ago, of special impervious underwear for the same purpose. They were called "Panickers".

Concerto

Visit site
Hi Concerto, when your family had Mumeskara can you recall ever taking the keel off ? also did you have extra ballast installed when you raised the mast height?
No, the keel was never taken off. When the mast was raised the boat still did not make the half ton rating of 21.7ft, but we decided against having the lead shoe added to keel. All of the Solent based Nich 30's did and this increased the draft by about 2" IIRC. Campers wanted us to race ours against the Solent boats to see the difference, but we were too commotted to the EAORA circuit. When she was built she also had a full depth skeg on the rudder and this made it too directionally stable. On a Harwich to Ostend race, we started with 15 knots of true wind speed from the NW and the course was exactly SE. We started with full main and spinnaker and by half was across we had passed the largest boat in the fleet, a Nich 43 that had started 15 mintes ahead of us. By this time the log was stuck on 10 knots and the the wind speed indicator was stuck on 48 knots. We were estimated to to be planing at 14 to 16 knots, but we had the kite cleated and had 3 out of the crew of 5 on the helm. The skeg was removed over the following winter.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Can't see a conflict between a manual tap and switched one. Both are taps. Both turn off the gas. Mine is a switch on the galley bulkhead, a green led when gas is on. Far less easy to miss and easier to operate than the usual arrangement. It's on the fridge circuit so if the boat is inhabited it is available but when you run your finger down the switchboard on leaving to ensure everything is off there's no little tap under the cooker to forget.
I like it.