Orca attack

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I wonder if anyone has tried Bear Spray?

I figure that many sailors are trying different and novel techniques, but not reporting the results.

Bear Spray is usually a red pepper spray, that is non-lethal.., for bears anyway.

The canisters will spray about 20-30ft.

The idea is that it gets in bear's eyes and lungs, causing a lot of pain, so they run away.

wind would be an issue - you wouldn't want it blowing back on yourself, but in an Orca situation, you would probably have time to put in goggles and some sort of mask before needing to use it.

If they are damaging your boat, they are pretty close, so hitting them with the spray is not going to be difficult, unless it's quite windy.

From the videos, it seems they are on the surface quite a bit near the boats.
Slight problem they are under the surface of the water.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Or a similar type of signal, AIS "Killer whale in rudder crunching mood".
This was a virtual AIS position sent by a shore station, with live animals they could just tag with a transmitter one of the more enthusiastic orcas

AtoNAIS1.jpg

AtoNAIS2.jpg

Roberto

Yesterday morning a Neel 43: the orcas arrive, crunch one rudder during about one hour, then seem to leave; the boat starts the engine to go away and many more orcas arrive and destroy all rudders, they keep on bumping into the hulls while it is being towed by the Salvamento rescue vessel.

Goldie

Visit site
Yesterday morning a Neel 43: the orcas arrive, crunch one rudder during about one hour, then seem to leave; the boat starts the engine to go away and many more orcas arrive and destroy all rudders, they keep on bumping into the hulls while it is being towed by the Salvamento rescue vessel.
Do you know where this happened please? Offshore? Close inshore? We are only a day’s sailing away from Barbate and heading that way!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I am not defending but just being pedantic, the Iberian orcas are piscivores, staple diet tunny. They do not attack other mammals.
Are you sure? I have seen films of them separating young whales from their mothers & killing them.
It has suddenly occured what those tapered bungs one buys from the chandlers are for. One waits for an Orca to surface & rams it in its blow hole (That is BLOW hole :rolleyes:) Which should hamper their breathing.
Another ruse would be to fit end plates to the rudder. Bit like an F1 car. But in this case more like sharp spikes. So when they bite the rudder they get a spike in the gob. Make holes in their tongue. Should hurt them enough for them to back off. May not work, but piss them off a bit:confused:

[3889]

Visit site
Do you know where this happened please? Offshore? Close inshore? We are only a day’s sailing away from Barbate and heading that way!
Assuming it's the same boat then a French vessel was attacked 8 miles SW of Barbate yesterday. If you plan on arriving from Cadiz then I have been assured by several people that passage inshore of the fishing nets off Zahara is possible. I passed outside of them last week as my chart showed a least depth of 2.5m inshore, in fact it is 4m. Still risky in any sort of swell but do-able in settled conditions. The offshore route around the nets takes you into uncomfortably deep water. Sailing between Gib and Barbate is reminiscent of an ant trail with boats clinging to the shallows.

Roberto

Assuming it's the same boat then a French vessel was attacked 8 miles SW of Barbate yesterday. If you plan on arriving from Cadiz then I have been assured by several people that passage inshore of the fishing nets off Zahara is possible. I passed outside of them last week as my chart showed a least depth of 2.5m inshore, in fact it is 4m.
It's a sailing boat from a company named Saileazy.
I have just found this, yes just off Barbate.
They write while under tow the animals tried to sink/bite the tow rope, and kept on banging against the hulls.
It goes beyond me how can people film, plus with a drone, during such an event.

[3889]

Visit site
The sad fact is that the video will generate far more revenue than the damage to the boat will cost. And it's not their boat and they have a lifeboat on hand.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Best of luck , we don’t want to hear that you been kissed ,
If I was you I wait for good weather and take shallow water route the shallower the better and be ready to go in a stern if your unlucky to see them .

Goldie

Visit site
Thanks all and yes, we’ll be staying as shallow as possible. Particularly useful info about the nets off Zahara and being able to pass inside. Plan is to cross VRSA to Rota and then stay as far inshore as possible and either go through in one trip to Gib’/Alcadeisa or maybe anchor off Barbate beach for the night. We shall be taking the inshore passage around Trafalgar too. We have the luxury of no deadlines so we’ll be waiting for good conditions. At the moment, we’re in no hurry to leave Portugal!

Roberto

Thanks all and yes, we’ll be staying as shallow as possible. Particularly useful info about the nets off Zahara and being able to pass inside. Plan is to cross VRSA to Rota and then stay as far inshore as possible and either go through in one trip to Gib’/Alcadeisa or maybe anchor off Barbate beach for the night. We shall be taking the inshore passage around Trafalgar too. We have the luxury of no deadlines so we’ll be waiting for good conditions. At the moment, we’re in no hurry to leave Portugal!
Best luck!
In particular, the last few cases all mention a first pod of animals, with a second one at a later/different time. They are probably hovering around different spots in the area and then possibly converge by inter-pod sound signals.
I think the risk of passing in deep water and meeting one group or the others is very very high at the moment.