Orca attack

capnsensible

Visit site
Thanks all and yes, we’ll be staying as shallow as possible. Particularly useful info about the nets off Zahara and being able to pass inside. Plan is to cross VRSA to Rota and then stay as far inshore as possible and either go through in one trip to Gib’/Alcadeisa or maybe anchor off Barbate beach for the night. We shall be taking the inshore passage around Trafalgar too. We have the luxury of no deadlines so we’ll be waiting for good conditions. At the moment, we’re in no hurry to leave Portugal!
Anchoring off Barbatte is very unusual. Hardly ever seen anyone do it. For what it costs, easier for a night in the marina. There is always room but a long walk into town. (y)

Visit site
Are you sure? I have seen films of them separating young whales from their mothers & killing them.
It has suddenly occured what those tapered bungs one buys from the chandlers are for. One waits for an Orca to surface & rams it in its blow hole (That is BLOW hole :rolleyes:) Which should hamper their breathing.
Another ruse would be to fit end plates to the rudder. Bit like an F1 car. But in this case more like sharp spikes. So when they bite the rudder they get a spike in the gob. Make holes in their tongue. Should hurt them enough for them to back off. May not work, but piss them off a bit:confused:
I am surprised, I follow these local affairs fairly closely and, far from seeing a single case of an Iberian orca eating a mammal yours is the only suggestion that any resident orcas are carnivores, unlike the ecotype known as transients .

Daydream believer

Visit site
I am surprised, I follow these local affairs fairly closely and, far from seeing a single case of an Iberian orca eating a mammal yours is the only suggestion that any resident orcas are carnivores, unlike the ecotype known as transients .
I do not know anything about whales & so would not dare to dispute your assertions. However, here is a link Whales attacking babies
They also attack sharks. So if they do this, what is so different from nibbling the fins off yachts, whilst confusing them with large young whales? This could be natural offshoot from attacking young whales. Butting them is a similar strategy, is it not? Just because they are currently in Portugese waters it does not mean that some have not come from other parts of the world, thus bringing habits with them. Why would an Orca in Portugal have a different digestive system to one elsewhere ? If a carnivore in the Pacific; then why not in the eastern Atlantic?

Goldie

Visit site
Anchoring off Barbatte is very unusual. Hardly ever seen anyone do it. For what it costs, easier for a night in the marina. There is always room but a long walk into town. (y)
I’ve done it a couple of times before and it’s been fine just as a passage stop. We haven’t had the best of experiences with Barbate pontoons with missing wood and exposed screws waiting to gouge the gelcoat!

Visit site
I do not know anything about whales & so would not dare to dispute your assertions. However, here is a link Whales attacking babies
They also attack sharks. So if they do this, what is so different from nibbling the fins off yachts, whilst confusing them with large young whales? This could be natural offshoot from attacking young whales. Butting them is a similar strategy, is it not? Just because they are currently in Portugese waters it does not mean that some have not come from other parts of the world, thus bringing habits with them. Why would an Orca in Portugal have a different digestive system to one elsewhere ? If a carnivore in the Pacific; then why not in the eastern Atlantic?
I see why you are called Daydream.It is well accepted that different ecotypes have different lifestyles, different habits and different diets and Iberian orcas are known as Residents because they live in Iberian waters whereas the Transients move across oceans. The Transients are also known as Bigg's killer whales and do kill other mammals but it is a simple fact - the Iberian orcas are piscivores.

capnsensible

Visit site
I’ve done it a couple of times before and it’s been fine just as a passage stop. We haven’t had the best of experiences with Barbate pontoons with missing wood and exposed screws waiting to gouge the gelcoat!
Hope the weather stays fair for you!

The marina could do with a bit of a face-lift.......

Daydream believer

Visit site
I see why you are called Daydream.It is well accepted that different ecotypes have different lifestyles, different habits and different diets and Iberian orcas are known as Residents because they live in Iberian waters whereas the Transients move across oceans. The Transients are also known as Bigg's killer whales and do kill other mammals but it is a simple fact - the Iberian orcas are piscivores.
I posed a simple honest question. Was there any animosity suggested therein? :unsure: But you replied by starting with an implied insult.:confused:
Thanks
But for all your brilliance---you still cannot explain why they attack yachts :unsure:
:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
the reason I said orcas kill seals on beaches was to point out they should be able to physically deal with getting sand in their pipes, mouth and eyes, it doesn't put them off killing there. Unless you're suggesting this variant of orca with this lifestyle is physically different I can't see how their usual diet in that area makes them more likely to be sand-phobic.

Visit site
I posed a simple honest question. Was there any animosity suggested therein? :unsure: But you replied by starting with an implied insult.:confused:
Thanks
But for all your brilliance---you still cannot explain why they attack yachts :unsure:
:D:D:D:D:D
Iam sorry that you took it that way, it was supposed to be humorous, not insulting. You are right I do not have the answer although the idea that the matriarch,Gladis, was injured by a yacht seems to me to be a possibility.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Iam sorry that you took it that way, it was supposed to be humorous, not insulting. You are right I do not have the answer although the idea that the matriarch,Gladis, was injured by a yacht seems to me to be a possibility.
Which is the thing about these posting , it so easy to take what someone says the wrong way , I lost count how many times that’s happened to me .

I do sometime now put the odd smile in to put over I’m joking or just being funny .
I guess it’s time for both you guys to move on and not dig the hole any bigger :)

Visit site
the reason I said orcas kill seals on beaches was to point out they should be able to physically deal with getting sand in their pipes, mouth and eyes, it doesn't put them off killing there. Unless you're suggesting this variant of orca with this lifestyle is physically different I can't see how their usual diet in that area makes them more likely to be sand-phobic.
I did not make such a suggestion.

nortada

Visit site
Which is the thing about these posting , it so easy to take what someone says the wrong way , I lost count how many times that’s happened to me .

I do sometime now put the odd smile in to put over I’m joking or just being funny .
I guess it’s time for both you guys to move on and not dig the hole any bigger :)
As I too have found to my cost, humour in here can be a dangerous tool. Especially with those looking to take umbrage.☹️

Visit site

We have.