Orca attack

doug748

Visit site
Good idea basically a poacher alarm on a stick. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Security-Burglars-Intruders-Galvanized/dp/B0049ACMC6 Easy to recharge and go again. I have some blanks I could try dunking but even if they don't like getting wet its easy to dip the front end in wax. I don't think a solid slug or shot would work without being constrained in a barrel, the cartridge would blow out at the sides. Trouble is if you made anything with any type of barrel you might be liable for making a firearm though if the separate parts were divided about a boat... Even a blank close up would probably be felt as well as heard so would probably be enough. You can buy 12g blanks without a license of any type.

It does look good.

Is that without a licence in the UK? For max effect underwater would be best, do you know if a cartridge would go off under the surface?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It does look good.

Is that without a licence in the UK? For max effect underwater would be best, do you know if a cartridge would go off under the surface?
A shotgun cartridge or indeed a pistol or rifle cartridge will detonate under water certainly with momentary immersion but as said a smear of wax or grease will give protection. I have my doubts as to a simple detonation metering them though, and there is always the question of should you go down my route of actually using a live cartridge to inflict damage and pain would it inflame the others and or the ones you hurt to an extent that they redoubled their attack.
Food for thought.

Adios

Visit site
A shotgun cartridge or indeed a pistol or rifle cartridge will detonate under water certainly with momentary immersion but as said a smear of wax or grease will give protection. I have my doubts as to a simple detonation metering them though, and there is always the question of should you go down my route of actually using a live cartridge to inflict damage and pain would it inflame the others and or the ones you hurt to an extent that they redoubled their attack.
Food for thought.
The don't seem so intent on the attack that I'd guess it would be hard to dissuade them. Scientists use bangers to scare orcas away so it has a track record. Its a significant shockwave underwater I should think.

I'd rather try it in a good strong steel boat first though. Doubt we can rely on the RYA to try this due to veganforce. Still, as we can't buy firework bangers in the UK and these are more robust and compact and cheap it seems a no-brainer to have some at the ready.

greeny

Visit site
The ones bought in Spain definitely go off underwater. First hand eye witness to the event. I will not comment or expand on why it was set off by someone.

greeny

Visit site

greeny

Visit site
Just wait till they start interfering with fishermen.
You'd be surprised how fast the problem, along with the orcas, disappears. :rolleyes:
They've been interfering with fishermen all the time. Its just that the fishermen have ways of dealing with them most of the time. Fishing boats have sunk off Morocco after being attacked. The ones in Spain and Portugal have methods to scare them off. The secret is to see them before the first impact and set off the deterrent before they hit you. That's easier said than done sometimes.

doug748

Visit site
They've been interfering with fishermen all the time. Its just that the fishermen have ways of dealing with them most of the time. Fishing boats have sunk off Morocco after being attacked. The ones in Spain and Portugal have methods to scare them off. The secret is to see them before the first impact and set off the deterrent before they hit you. That's easier said than done sometimes.

Who knows, perhaps their deterrent could be a sort of firecrackers mentioned? If so, good to know they are effective.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Interview on Radio 4 with a skipper attacked by Orcas, played around 7.20 this morning if you want to look it up.

He’s in port near Gibraltar waiting to get his rudders replaced, with 4 other boats brought in since he’s been there with similar.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just as an aside. "Scientists" in Spain have now tagged some of the orcas and are tracking them issuing daily updates on location and area to avoid.
Seguridad marítima y contaminación | Ministerio de Transportes, Movilidad y Agenda Urbana
Scroll down the page a bit for daily updates.
A step in the right direction finally although not sure if all the rogue orca are tagged or just a couple.
About blood time too , it should had been done a few years back .
as I kept saying

greeny

Visit site

Wansworth

Visit site
On regional news tonite director the ports of Galicia and minister of fishing talking about an app that apparently is being used by people from 40 countries .App identifies where the buggers are…….too quick to get the details,sorry