Orca attack

nortada

Visit site
They are more intelligent than us (allegedly) and smart enought to know it aint seals who are destroying the planet 🤔

- W

I am always intrigued by the assertion that orcas are more intelligent than humans. How is that assertion justified, certainly not effective intelligence❓

Atum not on the menus so off to try a breakfast of glass fibre rudder.😉

In a similar vein are dogs more intelligent than cats (or vice versa)❓Different, yes, but a measurement of intelligence❓

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I am always intrigued by the assertion that orcas are more intelligent than humans. How is that assertion justified, certainly not effective intelligence❓

Atum not on the menus so off to try a breakfast of glass fibre rudder.😉

In a similar vein are dogs more intelligent than cats (or vice versa)❓Different, yes, but a measurement of intelligence❓
I'm convinced they know exactly what they are doing and its not for food. I believe its purely a training exercise for the younger ones where they can practice their hunting skills with a relatively slow moving target that does not normally fight back. Many of the reports (not all though) mention the young ones performing the actual attack with elders looking on or even demonstrating first, only for the young ones to copy.

penfold

Visit site
that claim has been mad for some time about orcas and it might be true.

but one shouldn't rely on activist animal protectors for truth in these matters. They have a goal - often a worthy one - and the goal is always more important than the truth.

I have read publications by people advocating for the reintroduction of wolves claiming that there were no documented cases of wolves killing humans.

now, you may be for or against reintroduction of wolves, but this was clearly false.

and now, recently, there have been a few well documented cases of wolves killing people.

I probably wouldn't want to be in the water with an Orca that hadn't eaten for a while...
I'd have said the wolves propensity to eat stupid people as well as predate deer and other critters of which we have too many would be a plus point? We can only thumb our nose against Darwin for so long.

Laser310

Visit site
I'd have said the wolves propensity to eat stupid people

mostly the, relatively few, victims in North America have been just people out doing what people do - jogging, hiking etc...

I don't think there's any reason to think the were stupid..., it just a fact of life when you live in an area with animals that can kill you.

In USA and Canada, there are many animals that can kill you. It's quite a bit different than most of Europe. I understand that the recent reintroduction of wolves and/or the growth of small existing populations in Europe is changing that a bit, but it's pretty rare in Europe to encounter a wild animal that might kill you.

In North America, the list of animals that might kill you is pretty long, and encounters are common.

some of the animals on that list are surprising: moose, for example are pretty dangerous. The bulls are huge and can be very aggressive.

Yet on the whole, fatalities are quite rare - so it's more a case of being unlucky than stupid.

Mister E

Visit site
Don't go to Australia then the only thing that doesn't kill you is the nice fluffy Koala.
That give you chlamydia instead.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

dunedin

Visit site
mostly the, relatively few, victims in North America have been just people out doing what people do - jogging, hiking etc...

I don't think there's any reason to think the were stupid..., it just a fact of life when you live in an area with animals that can kill you.

In USA and Canada, there are many animals that can kill you. It's quite a bit different than most of Europe. I understand that the recent reintroduction of wolves and/or the growth of small existing populations in Europe is changing that a bit, but it's pretty rare in Europe to encounter a wild animal that might kill you.

In North America, the list of animals that might kill you is pretty long, and encounters are common.

some of the animals on that list are surprising: moose, for example are pretty dangerous. The bulls are huge and can be very aggressive.

Yet on the whole, fatalities are quite rare - so it's more a case of being unlucky than stupid.
But in the USA many/ most people meeting wild animals are carrying guns.
(Hence more die due to the guns rather than bear or wolf attacks.)
Very different from the UK and most civilised nations.

Laser310

Visit site
But in the USA many/ most people meeting wild animals are carrying guns.
(Hence more die due to the guns rather than bear or wolf attacks.)
Very different from the UK and most civilised nations.
well, I'm a dual national.., British and US citizen, and I try to maintain a balanced view...

this is not the place for a discussion of the relative merits of each place.., but I will just say that the people in Britain are, on average, as misinformed about the USA, as people in the USA are about Britain.

Did you see the reports yesterday about the guy killed by a Black bear in Arizona? The Telegraph displayed it prominently. Anyway, he was at his house, and he didn't have a gun. The bear killed him for a meal - it was a "predatory" attack.