Orca attack

sarabande

Visit site
There are several videos of whale killing dolphins interacting with humans to mutual benefit, e.g caught in netting, trapped, etc, and asking for help

If some orcas can relate voluntarily and peacefully to human beings does the behaviour of rudder eaters indicate the existence of Original Sin ?

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for this.

I think ‘pure intelligence’ is a rather intangible and without common sense (much rarer) can be dangerous.

Effective intelligence may be a better term as the results can be seen. Looking at the overall achievements of mankind, as opposed to that of whales and dolphins, I think you have the answer to who has the greater effective intelligence.

Outside the whale hunting areas, to date, humans, whales and dolphins have existed fairly amicably but damaging human’s boats could easily change all that and bring the wrath of the human race down all wales and dolphins, with but one end.

Hardly a well thought out intelligent strategy

Last edited:

Stingo

Visit site
The Cruising Association is apparently advising to throw sand in the water around the Orca 🤔
The US Navy have tested various things that disrupt sonar and discovered that common beach sand changes the propagation of sonar, which would confuse any communication between the rudder biters.

I can't be arsed trying to find the link to this info, so you're just going to have to trust me.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Thanks for this.

I think ‘pure intelligence’ is a rather intangible and without common sense (much rarer) can be dangerous.

Effective intelligence may be a better term as the results can be seen. Looking at the overall achievements of mankind, as opposed to that of whales and dolphins, I think you have the answer to who has the greater effective intelligence.

Outside the whale hunting areas, to date, humans, whales and dolphins have existed fairly amicably but damaging human’s boats could easily change all that and bring the wrath of the human race down all wales and dolphins, with but one end.

Hardly a well thought out intelligent strategy

... we are supposed to be an intelligent species, but look at who we vote for, and how many wars we start. We have flat earth and numerous other conspiracy theories, 5G masts causing covid, jewish space lasers starting forest fires in California .... and yet in spite of this, technologically we have achieved quite a lot - but it is a minority of the population who did it, and the majority of the population will eventually destroy it - as with every other civilisation in human history.

All neatly explained by Carlo Cipolla, a professor of economic history.

Cipolla’s 5 Laws of Human Stupidity – Sprouts – Learning Videos – Social Sciences

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
It's the minority that designed/invented the tools to make them rich and sold them to the majority....so who is to blame.....

Everyone. If you read Cipollas theory, stupidity bears no correlation to any other trait, intelligence, income, position in society, etc. etc... stupid people can be found in every sector of society, in every profession, and at every income level. Stupidity is simply choosing to do things that benefit no-one, utter stupidity is choosing to do things that harm yourself and others.

When stupidity is defined in terms of the actions people take, instead of being an innate component of their character, then it all makes sense - we all know intelligent people are perfectly capable of doing monumentally stupid things.

... and if intelligent humans can do stupid things, then why not intelligent animals - like orcas.

capnsensible

Visit site
It's coming your way. Mebbe time to take head from sand?

An orca repeatedly rammed a yacht in the North Sea off Shetland on Monday, in a concerning development following previous interactions between the cetaceans and vessels in the strait of Gibraltar and Portugal.

The full article is in the Guardian online.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

penfold

Visit site
A straight lift of the grauniad article and no mention of type of yacht(aluminium suggests OVNI, but there are others), was the boat motoring, sailing, bit of both? Weather conditions? I R disapoint.

Never Grumble

Visit site
It's coming your way. Mebbe time to take head from sand?

An orca repeatedly rammed a yacht in the North Sea off Shetland on Monday, in a concerning development following previous interactions between the cetaceans and vessels in the strait of Gibraltar and Portugal.

The full article is in the Guardian online.
Now made it as far as the Telegraph