Orca attack

billskip

Visit site
I take it the CA have tested this out in their offices in dock land . :)

I never been keen on any cull and read back from the begin I said they need tagging so live data can be seen where their are at any time , but hey three years down the line and the best we can hope for is they decid to stop as quickly as they started ,
but the reality is they not going to,
so what left ,sorry to say the group will need to be removed in what ever way is fit .
otherwise two things will happen ,
A ,
more and more group will start to do attack boats
and B , someone will die .
it’s just a matter of time.
let’s face it if there was a pack of dogs going around and attackping people , no matter what us dogs lovers say only one thing would happen .

as for the whale kisses who say this is their world and we should just not inter their waters , get off your high horse .

hold my hands up and say I’m happy we done with sailing tho water and thankful when we did it was a joy to see whale without the worry we may be killed .
People have been killed by cows while walking their dogs....what do you suggest? We eat more meat?

Adios

Visit site
There is a good (as always) article in National Geographic about the Orcas -
Vengeance—or playtime? Why orcas are coordinating attacks against sailboats
I think the thinking in that article is outdated. It does seem like they are not being maximally aggressive yet but it seems like the aggression is increasing. When the Moroccan fishing boat was sunk last year they were just rubbing against it, the boat was weak and it broke up.

Now they are ramming extremely hard structures with enough force to destroy it. Look at the remains of the moody's skeg, that's not playful bumping.

Adios

Visit site
I might as well add my experience to the thread

Late summer 2001 Me and my wife were on my liferaft-less yacht coming back from Holland to Harwich and half way across had an encounter with an Orca. It would surface near the starboard side of the cockpit going parallel to us and looked at us for a bit, only a few feet way, then submerged and did a big loop out to starboard before coming back towards the bow. It was giving what looked like maximum power into each stroke as it came towards us, accelerating hard, and then dived under the bow at the last second. Did a loop the other way to come back behind us, so a figure of eight overall, and rose up by the cockpit again to see our reaction presumably. Did it maybe 5 or 6 times before disappearing. I was motoring and just kept going the same having no idea if any alternative would be better. I'd not heard of Orcas attacking boats so didn't know if it was a danger but it was freaky enough, I thought if nothing else it might accidentally hit the bow. The boat was black anti-fouled with fin and spade rudder so I wondered if it was trying to elicit a response from a dead looking wale. But are they that dumb? Probably not.

billskip

Visit site
Well, even if this doesn't help, it will annoy the vegans... ;)
Well really it is in retaliation for suggesting a similarity solution re dog attacks...
I dont know what can be done, if anything should even be done, imho it's not the whales fault, any more than a elephant being at fault for doing whatever it wants in its environment.

Beneteau381

Visit site
This is not my problem, however if you fail to convince me and others to kill all the Orcas in the are (as you can't identify the actual culprits).
How are you going to convince different governments to kill them I don't know.
Maybe you should convince the Japanese that real research into the brains of all the Orcas in the area.
So now they know who the culprit is Gladis the killer whale and her gang of orcas out for revenge

stranded

Visit site
Well really it is in retaliation for suggesting a similarity solution re dog attacks...
I dont know what can be done, if anything should even be done, imho it's not the whales fault, any more than an elephant being at fault for doing whatever it wants in its environment.
Emotionally I agree with you, but… there is some suggestion this behaviour will spread when the teenage tearaways head off and interact with other pods. If this, over time, we’re to become widespread and start affecting communities where wildlife protections are not so stern or not able to be well enforced, or a choice has to be made about the continuing existence of entire fishing communities, not just a few poncy entitled yottties, then the overall impact on orca numbers could be much much much worse. Sometimes pragmatism may be the kindest way - but I think we humans would be a pretty poor bunch if we can’t find a non-lethal solution - maybe a tax on yachts to fund research.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Emotionally I agree with you, but… there is some suggestion this behaviour will spread when the teenage tearaways head off and interact with other pods. If this, over time, we’re to become widespread and start affecting communities where wildlife protections are not so stern or not able to be well enforced, or a choice has to be made about the continuing existence of entire fishing communities, not just a few poncy entitled yottties, then the overall impact on orca numbers could be much much much worse. Sometimes pragmatism may be the kindest way - but I think we humans would be a pretty poor bunch if we can’t find a non-lethal solution - maybe a tax on yachts to fund research.
If this 'phenomenon' were indeed to spread, I too fear the worst for all orcas at large.

IMHO, a far better option would be to regard this as a virus and stop it from spreading.
This would, again IMHO, mean culling specimens attacking yachts.
If this is indeed learned behaviour (as seems to be the scientific concensus) it can also be un-learned.
The orca population as a whole would benefit from avoinding contact with humans altogether.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Humans would be a pretty poor bunch if they let rogue killer animals kill....humans.

Burst them. The oversized over hyped assasins of the deep.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You can always tell the posting from them who sail miles away from the problem.
as always , I’m ok jack .
you just wait till the problem arrive around the UK , I bet there soon be changing their minds .

im now sailing closer to home but I’m still concerned about the way it’s all going and more importantly someone die in.