Orca attack

Laser310

Visit site

i like this quote:

"Co-author of the study and biologist at the University of Aveiro in Portugal Alfredo López Fernandez told Live Science: 'The orcas are doing this on purpose, of course, we don't know the origin or the motivation, but defensive behaviour based on trauma, as the origin of all this, gains more strength for us every day.'"

it's defensive behaviour?

sailboats are causing trauma?

Laser310

Visit site
Interesting article in The Telegraph today about how one a female orca is teaching younger orcas to attack yachts.

Killer whales learn to sink yachts off Gibraltar

yes - the teaching part might be true.., but the part about the mother seeking revenge for trauma is pure speculation on the part of the whale "experts"

they can't even say what the trauma was: collision? caught in a net? both are suggested.

They have no idea why these whales are doing what they are doing.

penfold

Visit site
yes - the teaching part might be true.., but the part about the mother seeking revenge for trauma is pure speculation on the part of the whale "experts"

they can't even say what the trauma was: collision? caught in a net? both are suggested.

They have no idea why these whales are doing what they are doing.
I think it is revenge for the travesty of "Free Willy". The thesis backing this up will appear as soon as I can work out how to use ChatGPT.

vas

Visit site
considering all were sailing yachts, maybe you could ask in PBO ;)
looks like orca's mix sailing yacht rudders with lollipops and mess with them. Then they taste the antifoul, get annoyed and the whole thing gets out of hand. That's my scientific explanation :rolleyes:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have recently seen a video about sperm whales chasing killer whales away. Seems that they are a match for them & they do not like sperm whales. The video was centred on the clicking sperm whales make to communicate & showed one eating a giant squid.
It occurred to me that if one could transmit the clicking of sperm whales into the water around the yacht that may warn the Orcas off. I could not see the video above, so that may be the purpose of the content.
I suggest that one should take one of those clicking frogs they used in the D day landings & hang over the side & give it them a good clicking.