Orca attack

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Several cases these days, one 50' had its rudder destroyed, also a Moody 70 (?) had the rudder destroyed, but as it has a long skeg the orcas insisted until they destroyed the skeg too, which they eventually did, opening a large fracture area in the underbody.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I have recently seen a video about sperm whales chasing killer whales away. Seems that they are a match for them & they do not like sperm whales. The video was centred on the clicking sperm whales make to communicate & showed one eating a giant squid.
It occurred to me that if one could transmit the clicking of sperm whales into the water around the yacht that may warn the Orcas off. I could not see the video above, so that may be the purpose of the content.
I suggest that one should take one of those clicking frogs they used in the D day landings & hang over the side & give it them a good clicking.
I have recently seen a video about sperm whales chasing killer whales away. Seems that they are a match for them & they do not like sperm whales. The video was centred on the clicking sperm whales make to communicate & showed one eating a giant squid.
It occurred to me that if one could transmit the clicking of sperm whales into the water around the yacht that may warn the Orcas off. I could not see the video above, so that may be the purpose of the content.
I suggest that one should take one of those clicking frogs they used in the D day landings & hang over the side & give it them a good clicking.

Attachments

• 4B11654D-BD55-4FBC-9741-16FB9865B296.jpeg
    4B11654D-BD55-4FBC-9741-16FB9865B296.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
yep that's the big Moody; really frightening
A few more details (from French forum Heo): they tried to stop the water ingress by putting a sail over the broken area ("fothering" the proper term maybe ?) and it sort of worked, though when the Salvamento boat began the tow the sail became useless, so the MRCC sent an helicopter with a motor pump; they could manage with the motor pump + the bilge pump + the engine raw water pump (diverted to the bilge). The orcas kept on banging against the hull even when under tow.

stranded

Visit site
toys, they are playing...imho
Except my wife read the other day an eyewitness report that they had formed an echelon(?) and swum at the boat creating a substantial wave, like they do to dislodge seals from ice blocks - that sounds like hunting behaviour (though I believe with orcas the boundary between playing and hunting can be blurred). Still, we are sitting in Concarneau atm looking across the marina aisle at a couple of sporty totally open transom numbers and not much fancying being there when the orcas come to “play”. And adding orcas to the (very long) list of pros for a centre cockpit!

billskip

Visit site
Except my wife read the other day an eyewitness report that they had formed an echelon(?) and swum at the boat creating a substantial wave, like they do to dislodge seals from ice blocks - that sounds like hunting behaviour (though I believe with orcas the boundary between playing and hunting can be blurred). Still, we are sitting in Concarneau atm looking across the marina aisle at a couple of sporty totally open transom numbers and not much fancying being there when the orcas come to “play”. And adding orcas to the (very long) list of pros for a centre cockpit!
Well there doesn't seem to be evidence they would attack a human in the water.
The water is their territory as is the areas of land that one would have to take serious precautions to avoid dangerous killer animals.
We just have to adjust to the situation.

stranded

Visit site
Well there doesn't seem to be evidence they would attack a human in the water.
The water is their territory as is the areas of land that one would have to take serious precautions to avoid dangerous killer animals.
We just have to adjust to the situation.
Oh I agree - hopefully a non-harmful solution can be found soon or cries for a cull will only increase.

Gadget257

Visit site
The Telegraph has a story this evening The trick, according to the Cruising Association, is to hide the rudder behind a screen of sand, while preparing to reverse. Mr Burbeck said the deterrent worked best, if combined with the crew banging pots and pans on deck to encourage the pod to break off their attacks, which can last over an hour.

Sailors have a new way to stop killer whale attacks.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Telegraph has a story this evening The trick, according to the Cruising Association, is to hide the rudder behind a screen of sand, while preparing to reverse. Mr Burbeck said the deterrent worked best, if combined with the crew banging pots and pans on deck to encourage the pod to break off their attacks, which can last over an hour.

Sailors have a new way to stop killer whale attacks.
I take it the CA have tested this out in their offices in dock land . :)

I never been keen on any cull and read back from the begin I said they need tagging so live data can be seen where their are at any time , but hey three years down the line and the best we can hope for is they decid to stop as quickly as they started ,
but the reality is they not going to,
so what left ,sorry to say the group will need to be removed in what ever way is fit .
otherwise two things will happen ,
A ,
more and more group will start to do attack boats
and B , someone will die .
it’s just a matter of time.
let’s face it if there was a pack of dogs going around and attackping people , no matter what us dogs lovers say only one thing would happen .

as for the whale kisses who say this is their world and we should just not inter their waters , get off your high horse .

hold my hands up and say I’m happy we done with sailing tho water and thankful when we did it was a joy to see whale without the worry we may be killed .

Rappey

Visit site
I did a fair bit of reading about the orca to educate myself a little more. As a result I'm getting bombarded by any and everything to do with orca on my Google feed.
What stands out at the moment is the latest "theory" that Gladys
sorry to say the group will need to be removed in what ever way is fit .
Can't happen. They are an endangered and protected species.