Orca attack

Laser310

Visit site
right; hikers are not calling for all the bears in bear country to be culled

but bears that regularly cause trouble, or even once cause trouble, - even short of death - for humans are regularly killed or moved.

I live in the USA - a commuter town close to NYC - and a black bear was killed last week in the town next to me for a non-fatal "interaction" with a human. Black Bears are generally considered to be considerably less dangerous than Brown (Grizzly) bears.

nobody is calling for all the Orcas in this area to be culled.

just those that cause trouble - apparently a few young males.., and maybe it wouldn't even be necessary to cull all of the trouble makers.

Some people who hike in Grizzly territory carry guns to protect themselves; the further into the backcountry, the more likely they are to have a gun.., or two...

I sailed through this area just a few weeks ago on a delivery to Las Palmas - we had pimgers, but not much else. It was a little scary...

One other thing: we are regularly asked to believe that Orcas are highly intelligent.., maybe as intelligent as humans, and are therefore deserving of the protection that we might accord to humans.., yet on the other hand, we are also told (by the same people), that they are incapable of forming the intent necessary to call the interactions "attacks".., that these might somehow be accidental interactions.., and that they might not even know they are "interacting" with humans.

Which is it; are they intelligent, or not?

billskip

Visit site
rudder needs to be made to shear off before damage to hull.
Carry a few spare mockup rudders and toss them over to play with....

phanakapan

Visit site
Mostly day hops south from Povoa, Leixoes, Sao Jacinto anchorage near Aveiro, Figuera da Foz, Nazare, Peniche, Cascais. Sines. Longest leg will be from Sines but once around the corner, you can anchor in Sagres bay.
Now in Porto….. looking at the Sao Jacinto anchorage, we had written off Aveiro as too difficult but we’ll look again, thank you

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Now in Porto….. looking at the Sao Jacinto anchorage, we had written off Aveiro as too difficult but we’ll look again, thank you

Plan to arrive in daylight and watch your depth, some shallow areas. Don't anchor too close to the airfield, it's the special forces base and they can chase boats away as we found out :)

Stingo

Visit site
A Google search for "how does sand affect sonar" brings up some interesting results, with suspicions that there might be a link with sonar and beached whales, whom have obviously had their sense of direction scrambled somehow.

I wonder if we could persuade one of the whale watching tour boats to toss a cup of beach sand into the briny when they spot an Orca?

sailingmartin

Visit site

I was in Sao Jacinto earlier this year and is fine. Enter with the tide and anchor close to the abandoned trimaran - easily seen on satellite photos. Great bakery on shore. You may find other boats going south to buddy up with - a sensible tactic as the crew of the sunken boat were rescued by another yacht nearby. Good luck.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I am on 2 FB groups that are constantly pestered by orca-huggers saying we should leave them alone, stay out of their domain etc.

I have had one guy saying he is reporting me to the GNR for incitement to commit a crime because I have supported the use of pingers and firecrackers, and another guy saying he was going to set up a vigilante army to hunt down the orca haters.

Meanwhile sailing on fhis coast has utterly changed. No-one knows how many pods are involved now, or where the next attack is likely to be, and it is only a matter of time before someone dies.

- W
Now I have my Irish passport and I can’t return to summers in Galicia LOL