Orca attack

cherod

Visit site
How many rogue humans will have to die before they realise they are not the only creatures on the planet , “ the answere my friend is blowing in the wind “ etc

greeny

Visit site
You assume that culling would have sorted the problem out, it may have made no difference. If (and I realise it's only one of several possibilities) the attacks are happening because orcas have made the connection between boats = less tuna, then other animals would probably have taken up the gauntlet. I think we underestimate their intelligence at our peril.

I've managed to source two pingers. If that does the trick then surely that's far better than culling any 'rogue' animals.

If the 3 orcas that were exhibiting the rogue behaviour had been culled promptly, then their behaviour could not have spread. How would that have not worked?

blampied

Visit site
With fish finder /depth sounders becoming more powerful and in recent years switching from single frequency to chirp which scans up and down the frequency range, one would expect the underwater sonar noise to be annoying to all underwater mammals.
Orcas being one of the only ones big enough to make their frustrations known.. In much the same way a downstairs flat owner might start banging on the ceiling with a broom handle in frustration to get back at the upstairs flat owners who plays rock and roll at high volume 24/7 without stop.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
How can any sea creature, mammal or fish give any sign by body language that they are laughing? I mean having fun chewing rudders for instance. Humans give vocal signals, cats purr, a dog wags its tail for any number of fun things.

If a Fish or Orca wagged its tail in happiness it would hurtle off somewhere,

Kelpie

Visit site
It wont work they will just bend the rudder post
A boat who was attacked recently lost the bottom two thirds of his rudder, which was just foam below the shaft. No damage to bearings or hull, and he was left with a usable stump of rudder and managed to avoid any towing fees and continued under motor.
Definitely something to be said for having a rudder like that. He was even able to have it rebuilt without a liftout, by dropping it whilst afloat.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Orcas can do 30 knots.

I dont doubt it but i bet they would struggle to take a well aimed playful bite out of the trailing edge at 30 knots, with Whales they tend to just ram them at that speed after trying to tire out their victim.

A boat who was attacked recently lost the bottom two thirds of his rudder, which was just foam below the shaft. No damage to bearings or hull, and he was left with a usable stump of rudder and managed to avoid any towing fees and continued under motor.
Definitely something to be said for having a rudder like that. He was even able to have it rebuilt without a liftout, by dropping it whilst afloat.

He is clearly very lucky and hopefully soon back on his travels, the pictures i was shown were of a rudder and its stock bent like a bannana

Kelpie

Visit site
I dont doubt it but i bet they would struggle to take a well aimed playful bite out of the trailing edge at 30 knots, with Whales they tend to just ram them at that speed after trying to tire out their victim.

He is clearly very lucky and hopefully soon back on his travels, the pictures i was shown were of a rudder and its stock bent like a bannana

AFAIK this rudder only ever had a partial length stock. I wonder if it was designed with a sacrifical lower section?
I wouldn't call him lucky... attacked twice within 24hrs...