Orca attack

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
There is more than one pod engaging in this behaviour as there have been attacks on 2 boats in different locations at the same time far enough apart that it is definitely 2 pods.

It is sadly a matter of time before this results in the sinking of a boat and loss of crew.

I am a tree hugger but if I am skippering a boat and it is attacked I am responsible for the boat and crew I am not going to sit there and twiddle my thumbs AND I have spoken first hand to a skipper who delivering a boat was attacked and had to be towed in and lifted out.
That makes perfect sense. But what you're suggesting is very different to carrying out a cull.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
That makes perfect sense. But what you're suggesting is very different to carrying out a cull.

A cull would be the extreme end of any action but first the true scale and nature needs to be defined and that means tagging which is going to require organisation at a national level which doesn't seem about to happen and probably only will after a few sinking and possibly crew loss. There is only anecdotal information about what is effective in repelling them with going astern under engine seemingly the most effective. Pingers from all I have read don't have anything to substantiate their use. As both of these are deemed illegal by the Spanish it will be a short step and short time before someone harpoons one of them which may increase the ferocity of any subsequent attack or the blood in the water may distract the rest of the pod into feeding on one of its members. It's going to happen.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Going astern seems to deter them, and I believe it is now the tactic recommended by the Portuguese coastguard. Reports are that the animals quickly lose interest.

Having a couple of pingers ready on short, weighted lines as well seems like a good belt and braces option.

Neither of these actions is going to harm the creatures...

- W

Beneteau381

Visit site
I fly out to Faro on Monday to collect a boat and will be trying to source a pinger before leaving.

It upsets me to think any of my fellow yotties would call for a cull. I'm very far from being a tree-hugger, and I don't pretend to know the answer to the problem, but anyone who thinks it is to kill the animals has no place on the water IMO.
What about the animals they kill? We have all seen the vids of them tossing seals in the air before munching them

Visit site
The answer is tagging them and trying to marry up the ones that are doing the damage and then 'removing' them from the situation.
There must be ways that yachties can protect themselves without harming the dolphins. Perhaps a pinger mounted permanently - perhaps on the boarding ladder and techniques such as motoring astern. We have all gone through a lengthy learning process especially to deal with natural phenomena and we are now faced with another. Culling is the easy way out for selfish people and will never be tolerated. Many of you have the possiblity to change your sailing areas - my boat lives in Olhao and I live overlooking the orcas main route but I am totally against people who want to take the easy way out. We must learn.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I must exit the Mediterranean through the Strait of Gibraltar on my way to Caribbean via Canaries. Is there an off season for these attacks perhaps when Tuna are not running. It would appear from the post by Clancy Moped that late May June is high season. There are not many yachts transiting the strait in Winter so no significant data can be gleaned from that season. Perhaps an October attempt could be safe keeping South.

Further, has anyone considered a flottilla of maybe three or four yachts pinging away.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I must exit the Mediterranean through the Strait of Gibraltar on my way to Caribbean via Canaries. Is there an off season for these attacks perhaps when Tuna are not running. It would appear from the post by Clancy Moped that late May June is high season. There are not many yachts transiting the strait in Winter so no significant data can be gleaned from that season. Perhaps an October attempt could be safe keeping South.

Further, has anyone considered a flottilla of maybe three or four yachts pinging away.
Perhaps they might be more ‘playful’ when the Tuna aren’t available.

RobbieW

Visit site

A couple of years ago, as these 'attacks' were building up, it was reported that there are two distinct groups of Orca preying on tuna in the approaches to the Gib Strait. A local group and a migratory group; the local group are there year round, the migratory group follow the tuna around the coast of Iberia. 'Attacks' have been recorded in Biscay, south of Lisbon as well as in the Barbate area. The assumption was that the individuals taking part were from the migratory group. Its not now clear how many individuals are involved nor which groups they belong to.

The tuna fishing season in Gibraltar runs from mid June to mid October, roughly. The start is a big day for Spanish boats, I left La Linea on that day a few years ago. Clearly the tuna are already running and the Orca are involved with those.

If I were faced with a passage between the Med to or from the Atlantic I'd be staying in shallow water as much as possible, trying to have pinger onboard and being prepared to go astern if possible. I'd also want to avoid May to October if I could.