Orca attack

Kelpie

Visit site
It has been confirmed today that the attacks, at least around Barbate, are carried out by three individuals: Grey Gadis, White Gadis, and Black Gadis.

Facebook

Visit site
Take them out. This is not normal behaviour, but can be learnt. I haven't followed the thread, but dangerous animals should be avoided and if that's not possible, humanely destroy.
This is were the orcas live. It appears that they only attack pleasure boats. How many of these pleasure sailors are obliged to go there ?
Dolphins are protected by Spanish law whether you like it or not.

Kelpie

Visit site
Take them out. This is not normal behaviour, but can be learnt. I haven't followed the thread, but dangerous animals should be avoided and if that's not possible, humanely destroy.
Tag them, track them, avoid them.
It needs somebody with the will and the money to make it happen.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It would be a shame not to after you've gone to the trouble of changing your gear. You could try clubbing but I think they might have different ideas, especially where seals are concerned

Call me Ishmael, I have a friend that can sort them out.

greeny

Visit site
"Taking out" the three orcas is no longer an option. The behaviour has spread in the population to other groups now. Just look at the historic data from last year and you will see that attacks occurred within a day of each other in vastly different locations varying from North Spain down to Barbate area. The time for culling was 2 yrs ago when the attacks started and became established and the behaviour was limited to the three gladys. But no, the animal welfare groups and individuals on here poo hooed it. Now the problem is too big to solve this way. It should have been nipped in the bud back then.

chrishscorp

Visit site
This is were the orcas live. It appears that they only attack pleasure boats. How many of these pleasure sailors are obliged to go there ?
Dolphins are protected by Spanish law whether you like it or not.

If the local fishermen are anything like the ones over here attacks wont get reported, I knew 2 fisherman sailing out of a north sea port and both had shotguns onboard and this was down to the cod wars, I believe they are more likely to shoot at seals today rather than our Icelandic neighbours, its a bit like the Seahorses that are only ever found at Studland never seen anywhere else as it could disrupt the fishing

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
"Taking out" the three orcas is no longer an option. The behaviour has spread in the population to other groups now. Just look at the historic data from last year and you will see that attacks occurred within a day of each other in vastly different locations varying from North Spain down to Barbate area. The time for culling was 2 yrs ago when the attacks started and became established and the behaviour was limited to the three gladys. But no, the animal welfare groups and individuals on here poo hooed it. Now the problem is too big to solve this way. It should have been nipped in the bud back then.
You assume that culling would have sorted the problem out, it may have made no difference. If (and I realise it's only one of several possibilities) the attacks are happening because orcas have made the connection between boats = less tuna, then other animals would probably have taken up the gauntlet. I think we underestimate their intelligence at our peril.

I've managed to source two pingers. If that does the trick then surely that's far better than culling any 'rogue' animals.

Visit site
You assume that culling would have sorted the problem out, it may have made no difference. If (and I realise it's only one of several possibilities) the attacks are happening because orcas have made the connection between boats = less tuna, then other animals would probably have taken up the gauntlet. I think we underestimate their intelligence at our peril.

I've managed to source two pingers. If that does the trick then surely that's far better than culling any 'rogue' animals.
There is a lack of logic in the less tunny theory and the idea that dolphins are intelligent. why do they attack aweful white boats and not fishing boats ?

KevinV

Visit site
I'm wondering how long it will take them to work out that pingers on yachts do not warn of danger and use them for locating new toys?

Thinking of that sort of thing, does anyone know if they are able to detect the frequency that depth sounders use? Just wondering if they "just happen upon" the yachts, or actively seek them out? If the latter, how?

RAI

Visit site
According to one source, orcas use frequencies up to 25kHz.
Fish finders use 15 to 200kHz. I think most yacht depth sounders use 200 kHz. Harbour porpoises use a greater range than other mammals.

KevinV

Visit site
According to one source, orcas use frequencies up to 25kHz.
Fish finders use 15 to 200kHz. I think most yacht depth sounders use 200 kHz. Harbour porpoises use a greater range than other mammals.
Interesting, thanks.