Orca attack

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
To my mind that seems a very sensible and reasonable reply from the RYA, and he shows interest in following up the points you raised.

As others have noted, with this happening outside the UK one would not expect the RYA to be playing a lead role in the response - indeed under the rules of World Sailing, it probably is required to defer/refer to the Spanish and Portuguese equivalents (would you expect the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation to play a lead role in Studland Bay, for example?). But seems a reasonable reply.

PS. I note you are happy to quote in full on this forum Mr Hill’s letter and contact details yet redact your own details. Seems a bit inconsistent

Mr Hill spends as lot of time on the Orca Attack Reporting (+ other Orca encounters) FB page harassing yachties who discuss defending their vessels in any way.

I suggest you tell Mr (Dick) Hill that he is not expected to play a leading role, he obviously feels he should be.

I am delighted to say that while there is a group ban on any suggestion of violence towards orcas, operating reverse gear or using acoustic deterrents is not considered violence by the eminently sensible group admin.

- W

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I can't help feeling that if serious boat damage was being caused by UK native marine life the responses of some of the posters here would be seriously different.

Let us hope that this behaviour is not passed on to orca populations worldwide, or to other large cetacean populations.

- W

RAI

Visit site
I can't help feeling that if serious boat damage was being caused by UK native marine life the responses of some of the posters here would be seriously different.

Let us hope that this behaviour is not passed on to orca populations worldwide, or to other large cetacean populations.

- W
Once the south coast orcas are trained and enjoy their games during the rudder rich round the island race, the RYA attitudes will change.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Further up the Peninsular, one can again stay quite close inshore along the Portugese coast.....but be prepared for a billion pot markers.

Unfortunately for those of us based in the area, they've attacked boats quite close inshore as that's the tuna migration route, one of the guys in the yard at the moment had his windvane damaged just off Tavira where one of the largest nets is. As the migration increases, the attacks will no doubt be right up the west coast to Galicia.

capnsensible

Visit site
Unfortunately for those of us based in the area, they've attacked boats quite close inshore as that's the tuna migration route, one of the guys in the yard at the moment had his windvane damaged just off Tavira where one of the largest nets is. As the migration increases, the attacks will no doubt be right up the west coast to Galicia.
Was the yacht inboard or outboard of the traps?

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
The only solution is to cull this small pod before the behaviour is spread to other pods.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you were either drunk or temporarily deranged when you made this suggestion.

That an answer needs to be found isn't in question, but that answer is not to cull members of an already critically endangered group. Those in the know number the entire pod at no more than sixty animals.

nortada

Visit site
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you were either drunk or temporarily deranged when you made this suggestion.

That an answer needs to be found isn't in question, but that answer is not to cull members of an already critically endangered group. Those in the know number the entire pod at no more than sixty animals.

Agree, but I am not sure that the numbers involved have been established as attacks have occurred in different areas at the same time.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
An excellent report, showing that damaging encounters can be avoided with the right actions.

Was wondering the best way to deploy pingers. Weighted line off the bow cleat sounds eminently sensible.

- W

RAI

Visit site
An excellent report, showing that damaging encounters can be avoided with the right actions.

Was wondering the best way to deploy pingers. Weighted line off the bow cleat sounds eminently sensible.

- W
It seems from the report that, if a pinger was being used, it did not deter the orcas from approaching maybe even summoned them. Maybe that's why he was offering to supply it to someone else. Reverse gear still seems to be effective.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Still no even fanciful ideas about how anyone could actually tag an “ offending “ animal with ais or any other tracking device , prob just as well as prob only a matter of time before some well wishing , or worse , vigilante type would be out there hunting them down .
You do realise that whale tagging is a thing right? It's been use for years to track and research whale behaviour. Rather than asking sailors why not ask the marine biologists that have been doing it for years how to do it?

chrishscorp

Visit site
Tagging the Orca pods in that area is probably the way forward it would improve the scientific knowledge on these creatures and if the GPS data was made live which would not be a difficult thing to do then sailors transiting that area would have a chance to be able to avoid encountering them, that would seem to be a pragmatic way ahead, otherwise we are likely to see people taking other measures to stop boats being attacked.

cherod

Visit site
You do realise that whale tagging is a thing right? It's been use for years to track and research whale behaviour. Rather than asking sailors why not ask the marine biologists that have been doing it for years how to do it?
Well of course i do , , but do you seriously think that identifying , locating and then tagging the rogue orcas is a simple operation , or even comparable to tagging other more docile , habitual and wholly predictable species , right ? , perhaps instead of pontificating with fancyfull / farcical ideas and suggesting culls etc on here others should look ( as suggested ) to the marine biologists forums . And / or addressing the potential of vigilantie / heroes tracking down and killing any “ rogue “ individuals .

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Well of course i do , , but do you seriously think that identifying , locating and then tagging the rogue orcas is a simple operation , or even comparable to tagging other more docile , habitual and wholly predictable species , right ? , perhaps instead of pontificating with fancyfull / farcical ideas and suggesting culls etc on here others should look ( as suggested ) to the marine biologists forums . And / or addressing the potential of vigilantie / heroes tracking down and killing any “ rogue “ individuals .
It’s a piece of cake. I used to track Russia subs across the Atlantic for a living. A few angry dolphins off the Iberian coast is child’s play.