Noss on the Dart

Seastoke

Visit site
Had a tootle up to Noss today it looks like it will be fantastic when done , but how do people berthed there put up with the dust and noise and it’s going on fo years , imo .

Martxer

Visit site
No issues with dust or noise so far. The steam train is probably the big dust polluter and the naval collage the biggest noise polluter.
Both make being berthed at noss more interesting imo.

ashtead

Visit site
I was just enquiring as Noss seems to have not attracted you- should say last time we were in Dartmouth that Noss wasn’t taking visitors so purpose of question really was why others are attracted to Noss? I’ve had a quote from them and if fully retired it did seem to be a useful base even with development which I’m sure must have led to improved facilities from what was I believe a quaint family marina?

Seastoke

Visit site
I was just enquiring as Noss seems to have not attracted you- should say last time we were in Dartmouth that Noss wasn’t taking visitors so purpose of question really was why others are attracted to Noss? I’ve had a quote from them and if fully retired it did seem to be a useful base even with development which I’m sure must have led to improved facilities from what was I believe a quaint family marina?
Well when all finished maybe best in uk, silting up may be a problem. The yard services look really good, and on-site companies, a cafe is opening,I like to be able to walk ashore to pubs restaurants etc . You can walk to Dartmouth but muddy path ,no good for buggies also part of the walk is on road no pavement. So you have to go by water taxi or your own dingy. When we were there it was windy blowing all the building dust about also they are pilling the ground so noise is very irritating but I suppose they only do it in the week. Now I don’t know how long it takes to build a 50 bed hotel 40 apartments and two residential areas , I would say years . So not for me at this time but will want to visit when finished.

Seastoke

Visit site
used to only be a couple of pontoons with most boats rafting up. has it changed ?

Steveeasy
Yes new pontoons ,I think they have over 200 berths. Back in the eighties I forget who owned it then ,they did work on my engine just over a grand , I made the mistake by paying cash never got a receipt . They went bump not long after I ended up on their money owed ,it stopped me taking out loans .

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
My home marina so thought worth a few comments.

Have never had any noise disturbance or dust from the building site whatsoever, so nothing to put up with, although we are a long way down the marina, it might be different for the big boats that are closer to it. I'd say the only real issue (for what it's worth) is the rather bumpy road down, which will no doubt be improved upon in due course. I do agree though, it's not an easy stroll to get something to eat, especially at night as the path is through the woods and unlit (nice walk though). I use the tender, plenty of places to moor it at Dartmouth.

Never heard of any silting problems ever, I'm not sure why that would even be considered as a concern?

The cafe has been about to open since I've been there (about two years now I think). Hopefully it finally does this year as it would be a useful facility.

Talking of facilities, the toilet and shower facilities are about the best I've ever seen on a marina. Brand new and lovely with proper seperate spacious rooms that have loos and showers.

You can, in fact, walk to the car ferry to Dartmouth without going on the road (which I agree is not ideal for walking on, no pavements and a lot of blind corners). When you pop out onto the road from the path, cross over and there's another path on the other side that will take you to the ferry slipway (you do walk along a quiet residential road for a short way, which is not a problem or danger). Definitely not suitable for buggies though, and quite a few steps by the ferry.

The boatyard facilities (the yard itself, the lifting equipment and the guys that operate it) are superb.

I don't know how long the hotel will take but they alway seem busy on the site whenever I'm down there. If I had to guess, with my zero knowledge of commercial construction, I'd say at least a couple of years, nothing is out of the ground yet.

When it's finished, I think it will be arguably the best marina in the UK, it's already really excellent and to have the facilities that the hotel will no doubt offer (plus no longer have a building site on site) will just add an extra dimension.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hugely! Hopefully the mods will forgive my posting a video, but this is what it looks like now.

I seam to remember some nice looking buildings there where the brokers offices were. Have they been demolished?. where is the Hotel being built ?. Nice location, I do like Kingswear marina.

Steveeasy

Seastoke

Visit site
I seam to remember some nice looking buildings there where the brokers offices were. Have they been demolished?. where is the Hotel being built ?. Nice location, I do like Kingswear marina.

Steveeasy
When did you last go , the new buildings a nice ,the hotel is right on the marina front so will be over looked, only time will tell, not good at the moment biglorries up and down but only in the week .