No RTI thread yet?

flaming

Visit site
Met Office forecast for Saturday is for SW, 13-15knts, gusting 20-23. Just the job for the Nic 32 I'll be on
Some models showing a bit more, some a bit less and more of a westerly. All showing breeze though. So not looking like a drift around, which is nice!

jaminb

Visit site
I am in. Still don't understand why my boat is in a different class to some of the same type and model of other boats. The tide looks like the most neapy of neaps so shouldnt be too much of a factor and following plenty of spinnaker practice on friday I can see an improvement on last year. Top 2000 here we come!

dimdav

Visit site
By chance I'll be in the area. Was thinking of taking the family to Hurst Castle for a view, sound plan or bad idea cause it'll be mobbed?

flaming

Visit site
By chance I'll be in the area. Was thinking of taking the family to Hurst Castle for a view, sound plan or bad idea cause it'll be mobbed?
Great plan! There's normally quite a good crowd but there's plenty of space. Take a decent camera!

Stemar

Visit site
For watching from my boat, I've gone to Seaview a few times. There's usually a marker buoy there to keep the unwary off Ryde Sands, and I've anchored a few yards inside it to watch the fun. There's always a few who push their luck and struggle to find space to get by, which can be entertaining.

dimdav

Visit site
For watching from my boat, I've gone to Seaview a few times. There's usually a marker buoy there to keep the unwary off Ryde Sands, and I've anchored a few yards inside it to watch the fun. There's always a few who push their luck and struggle to find space to get by, which can be entertaining.
That would be lovely, personally I'd love to be on the boat to see it but unfortunately my own is 500 miles away on the Clyde and I dont have a crew place on a competing boat so me and my boys will take a land spot and enjoy. I've never experienced it but have grown up with photos of all sails. I'm really excited at the prospect of seeing it in real life! Totally chance that it has fallen on when I'm down on the south coast for the 1st time!

jaminb

Visit site
Well done Stemar.

We came 350 ish overall. An improvement of 100 places on last year so we were well please.

We messed up the start as we couldnt see the starboard end and got pinned to the north coast of the island by the starboard tack boats, I consoled myself with we we’re getting a favourable eddy from 09.00 till 10.00 but as we were 5th from last in our class by the needles so that was clearly rubbish! I didn’t enjoy the rolly run round St Katherines but a Little touch of the bottom at Ryde proved we were still pushing after 10 hrs

Great fun day out, everyone should try it once. I do wonder what the coastguards, lifeboat and helicopter crews make of it but it certainly instills confidence in what they are capable of when things go wrong.

seumask

Visit site
Pleased with our first RTI, 4 teenagers in a crew of 7 and we were 132nd overall in our Jeanneau SO 37, 6th in class. Extremely busy radio during the race, lots of broaches round the back of the Island, several ourselves! leading to taking the kite down early! Several dismasting's and some capsized Multi hulls. Close tacking all the way up the shore from Bembridge was scary at times and not for the faint hearted!
Most impressed by the small boats that kept up with us, or were ahead such as Folk boats, Conteassa 26's and in particular the Sonata's were particularly fun to watch with much surfing, gybing and broaching all round the south side of the Island.

Stemar

Visit site
Some of the little boats really did well - the conditions were pretty good (if hard work!) for a Nic 32, but there was a Contessa 26 that was matching us tack for tack for a while off Bembridge.

On a different scale, there was a big cat with two people on board tramping up past Ryde at almost the same speed as us but, with a self tacking jib, no flappy sails and frantic winching, just turn the wheel - and no spilling of the tea. Racing is fun once in a while, but that's my kind of sailing! Jazzcat would have been seriously hard work tacking on Saturday, with her enormous genny to wind in each time.