New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
We have a friend (beneteau-500) who uses the cruisers forum and lives as such in Naxos (he's the unfortunate one who lost his yacht off Northern Cyprus earlier this year). He has just posted this:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/greek-tax-115410-6.html#post1398630

If this is correct they are not treating it as a tax; it's a cruising fee which then has VAT added to it. Unless they are applying a tax (VAT) to a tax. So 100 Euro becomes 100+VAT (he's quoting 17%, personally I thought it was 23%).

Then as he states there will be further Port Charges.

The saving grace being that it will not be implemented until the budget for 2014/2015 is accepted. That may give a few the opportunity to get out before being hit with this additional burden.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Much of what he says seems to have been passed on by fishermen, so not exactly from the horse's mouth! Quite a bit of it is incorrect in our experience. So maybe slightly better than rumour, but not a lot.

VAT in Greece is charged differently on the mainland and the islands. 23% may be the mainland figure, 17% has been the figure elsewhere.

Many of the ports we visited this season were charging a little more than the standard rate but there were improvements that justified the increase to some extent. Lazy lines, convenient rubbish bins, sometimes 230 volts included, collected by a harbourmaster who was very helpful, and still mostly around €10 per night. Seems very reasonable compared with other countries.

charles_reed

Visit site
Vyv,

Glad you're still philhellene - even with the added circulation tax (which will have VAT @ 23% added) - I'd consider Greece a cheap and lovely place to cruise.

I've made lots of friends with locals, can live considerably cheaper than in the UK and if I only have to pay €246 for the privilege of enjoying the 3rd? best cruising grounds in Europe I'll be happy.

Islands charge more in port taxes (in Aegean) but lower VAT - unlike poor old Steve, when the VAT reduction came in on taverna bills everyone gave me the benefit of the reduction. Aegean or Ionian I find them great folk to be with, almost as enheartening as Geordies and Scots.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Vyv,

Glad you're still philhellene - even with the added circulation tax (which will have VAT @ 23% added) - I'd consider Greece a cheap and lovely place to cruise.

I've made lots of friends with locals, can live considerably cheaper than in the UK and if I only have to pay €246 for the privilege of enjoying the 3rd? best cruising grounds in Europe I'll be happy.

Islands charge more in port taxes (in Aegean) but lower VAT - unlike poor old Steve, when the VAT reduction came in on taverna bills everyone gave me the benefit of the reduction. Aegean or Ionian I find them great folk to be with, almost as enheartening as Geordies and Scots.

Charles,

Yes, even with the added taxation we will continue to sail in Greece. I suspect that it will continue to be the cheapest Mediterranean cruising ground for us, always offering perhaps the greatest variety of destination and, as you say, some of the friendliest people you will meet anywhere.

Vyv

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
We didn't even see our boat last year due to changed circumstances, if I'm lucky I 'might' get a month on her next. At 11m a one off flat fee of £400 euros does not represent good value for short term use of Greek waters.

If they get it up and running before I can get out there next year I guess I'll have to pay but I'll definately leave before it's due again. The UK is becoming more of an option with each passing year. Least I'sd get some sailin' in!

Seems very sneaky rushing this through at a time when they know many boats are laid up or have signed marina contracts for the year.
C.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
If you are really feeling deprived you can pay for some of mine

Thank you but no thanks! My 5 weeks will already cost me 400( plus vat ) You can pay monthly just for the time you are in the water an option not open to me. It appears that my 4500 euro per annum payment in to the local economy is not considered worth making it easier on my pocket.

Yup even the UK is looking attractive. Bring the boat back here and just charter for a bit of sun in the Caribbean or Belize.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Vyv,

Charles, it will be interesting to see if they do add VAT on. Where does this idea come from?. I also think that there is no chance of interpreting "in Greek Water" as being in the water and not sitting on dry land in Greece. If so this will be an exceeding expensive addition to us and any one over 12 meters, as we only cruise for 6 to 8 weeks a year. I really don't want to leave Greece - we only just (in relative terms) got there.

Bloody shame - but I don't have to make decision for a couple of months - so will wait and see what actually transpires

PS When VAT went down we saw no change in prices in the Dodecs......

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Depression and red wine are established bed fellows, but sometimes take your thoughts in odd directions. This time the thought occurred to me that if Scotland goes off into their wide blue yonder, why don't we offer to incorporate Greece into the union to replace it. In relative terms the national debt that will be off loaded onto Scotland would be roughly the same size as the Greek debt we would take on. So we lose a cold wet miserable country and gain a warm dry normally happy one. Once our civil service especially HMRC take control of the Greek economy it would be sorted in no time. All we have to do is refuse passports to any Greek with assets of more than £1 million. Come to think of it we should do that anyway.

Glyka

Visit site
Depression and red wine are established bed fellows, but sometimes take your thoughts in odd directions. This time the thought occurred to me that if Scotland goes off into their wide blue yonder, why don't we offer to incorporate Greece into the union to replace it. In relative terms the national debt that will be off loaded onto Scotland would be roughly the same size as the Greek debt we would take on. So we lose a cold wet miserable country and gain a warm dry normally happy one. Once our civil service especially HMRC take control of the Greek economy it would be sorted in no time. All we have to do is refuse passports to any Greek with assets of more than £1 million. Come to think of it we should do that anyway.
Come to think of it, just be guaranteeing Greece's borders, the 4,3% of GDP saved could help repaying the debt much sooner. And we can use Germany's loan payback to buy lots of (cold please) beer :)

PS. The only problem is that we are not very fond of Kings...

Last edited:
Visit site
Charles, it will be interesting to see if they do add VAT on. Where does this idea come from?. I also think that there is no chance of interpreting "in Greek Water" as being in the water and not sitting on dry land in Greece. If so this will be an exceeding expensive addition to us and any one over 12 meters, as we only cruise for 6 to 8 weeks a year. I really don't want to leave Greece - we only just (in relative terms) got there.

Bloody shame - but I don't have to make decision for a couple of months - so will wait and see what actually transpires

PS When VAT went down we saw no change in prices in the Dodecs......

Chris, we will always have the "Greece right or wrong" faction and I have a little list. If what that country is telling me by this tax is, that all they want is my exit, then why don't they just tell me to GO instead of imposing this punitive tax -unless all they REALLY want to do is rob their friends for easy money? Ah!

My boat is out of the water, in Gouvia, paid up to mid May and I don't intend to physically return until March or April and launch in April, sometime. I wonder what the CA would give me as advice, in my situation? Are they worth the fees for a dusty library full of out of date material in Limehouse and a few Old F. A. R. T.s pretending that they have a handle on the situation. (Despite the efforts of the dear lady steward, the beer in the bar is usually flat too, her coffee and bar food being excellent!)

Little secret:- Their "man on the spot" once offered me the opportunity to take over his job! I declined. I still have his email.

Last edited: