New rules for boating from EU to UK

The Professional

Visit site
Let me summarize my understanding of the new rules in force now post-Brexit transition for sailing pleasure craft from the EU to the UK, and if I get anything wrong or miss anything out then please correct me;

If you and everyone on board is British and you don't have any goods to declare then you need to fly the Q flag on entry to UK waters and that's it.

If you or anyone on board is not British and/or you have goods on board to declare then you need to fly the Q flag on entry to UK waters, AND you need to phone the National Yacht Line to obtain clearance AND you need to complete form C1331 Part 2 (even if you don't have any goods to declare).

I have a couple of other questions:
*Do you have to list British passengers on form C1331 or only foreigners? The guidance says you only need to complete it if there are people on board who require immigration clearance, but it's unclear whether you need to list the people on there who don't require clearance
*If I have a RIB and I'm not able to fly the Q flag on entry to UK waters, what should I do and what are the penalties for failing to fly the Q flag when required?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
1. Since the southern portion of Ireland seceded from the UK in 1921, travel, in both directions between the former and the latter has been unrestricted. In light of this , do the skippers of Irish yachts have to comply with this bureaucracy when entering ports in Britain?
2. Regarding the goods of agricultural origin, such as milk and meat, mentioned; are they considered to be imported into the UK if they remain on the boat as part of its victuals, or does this only apply if they leave the vessel?

ithet

Visit site
The rules for coming to UK from EU by private yacht post Brexit seem to be the same as the existing rules for returning from the Channel Isles.

Last time I returned from CI's I called the National Yacht Line who took all the details and told me I therefore did not need to send in form C1331/2.

ithet

Visit site
I have a couple of other questions:
*Do you have to list British passengers on form C1331 or only foreigners? The guidance says you only need to complete it if there are people on board who require immigration clearance, but it's unclear whether you need to list the people on there who don't require clearance
*If I have a RIB and I'm not able to fly the Q flag on entry to UK waters, what should I do and what are the penalties for failing to fly the Q flag when required?

The CT1331 has a section "Persons on board". So you do just that and list all persons. There is a column for their nationality and another for signature.

The guidance regarding 'immigration clearance' refers to what you tell the National Yacht Line operator.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s/attachment_data/file/947760/C1331-12-20.pdf

peter gibbs

Visit site
I suspect we are entering unknown waters, whatever the ever-changing protocols indicate, with different officers leaning in different directions at first. So, full declarations of all persons on board is required and readiness to declare any likely restricted goods. Clearly dairy products are not in the same category as spirits and ciggies. Flying a yellow duster is neither here nor there, but early radio advice of approach clearly is.

There may be some issues over which ports are entry points, especially on the continent. There may be a need to be deliberate in choosing a landing port where officials are available, especially out of hours. Boats heading for Cherbourg for example, will want to be sure of procedure. A call to Chantereyne is advance will be advisable - they are always helpful.

I expect an apparently genuine and uncompromised declaration here or on the continent will receive the same easy clearance. But thinking back to earlier days I am sure customs cutters will be on the prowl on both sides of the channel, boarding and asking questions - as of yore. Be ready and hold copies of all declarations.

For UK citizens thinking of staying longer in one country, the 90 day rule may require some manoeuvring. I can see that being of greater interest to officials.

Leaving the vessel temporarily in a EU port for, say, part of the season is not likely to be a problem for most. However disposal of a UK registered vessel in the EU will attract tax questions, as I believe many are now aware.

I have always found local HM's really useful in these matters in the past and if they are not sure, I'm confident they will pick up the phone and make enquiries for you. After all they want you to stay and spend money - that hasn't changed one bit.

PWG

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Point of pointless pedantry: the north left as well but rejoined after one day as part of the Irish Free State.

Intriguing can you point me in the direction of a fuller explanation, particularly wrt 'as part of the Irish Free State'. Presumably this was in much the same way that Belfast Lough was a Treaty Port?

pandos

Visit site
Intriguing can you point me in the direction of a fuller explanation, particularly wrt 'as part of the Irish Free State'. Presumably this was in much the same way that Belfast Lough was a Treaty Port?
Yes please, that reference to the North ever being part of the Irish Free State does not align with commonly understood history.

laika

Visit site

Read it again. You may be being confused by this line:
When arriving direct from outside the UK you must phone the National Yachtline. You will need to inform the Yachtline if any of the following apply:

You need to tell them if any of those things apply but even if they don't you still need to phone them (and fill in c1331). It's the same procedure as it Already was for the Channel Islands (apart from the Northern Ireland bit).

easton

Visit site
@The Professional. I suspect it's this line that you're referring to and that could be made much clearer "When arriving direct from outside the UK you must phone the National Yachtline. You will need to inform the Yachtline if any of the following apply: ..."

I take that to mean that you must call them (it's a standalone sentence, "you must phone the national yachtline"), but if one of the things on the list applies, you must inform them of the case. They will then likely ask you to complete a C1331 or whatever. Pretty much as Ithet advises has been the case from the channel islands.

I'm pretty sure I've clean forgotten to call the Yachtline several times after returning from the Channel islands.

(cross posted and broadly in concurrence with laika...)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The Wikipedia article on the Government of Ireland Act is a reasonable start. Basically, Ireland was first split into two parts and then after independence either part had a window in which its parliament could ask to rejoin the UK. Dublin, of course, had no desire to do so but Stormont did, which is why things were set up that way in the first place.

One oddity of relevance to sailing was that only listed parliamentary constituencies rejoined the UK - the drafters forgot to say anything about the sea. As a result there was a suggestion for many years that the south also had the sea around the north. As I recall, further legislation tidied that up.

The Professional

Visit site
Read it again. You may be being confused by this line:

You need to tell them if any of those things apply but even if they don't you still need to phone them (and fill in c1331). It's the same procedure as it Already was for the Channel Islands (apart from the Northern Ireland bit).

You are quite right, I had misread that. It appears you do need to phone the National Yachtline in any case.

It seems to me when things return to normal, the National Yachtline is going to be inundated with calls and C1331 forms given all the cross channel traffic in pleasure craft.

So I have only 2 questions:
1. By when is it necessary to call the Yachtline? Do you have to do it as soon as you pass the12 mile limit and before you reach your berth, or can you get off the boat and ask to use the phone at the Harbour Master's office (a mobile phone with a flat battery after 12+ hours at sea is not uncommon)?

2. If I have a RIB and no ability to fly the Q flag then is simply calling the Yachtline to inform of this sufficient or are there any penalties for no Q flag?