New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Is it a family run boat or do ou have paid crew
You need paid crew on this - would be an insane amount of work for the owning family otherwise. It's normally built with 4 crew beds but a crew of 4 including captain isn't enough on this boat, imho, and I think you need 5, at least in the 5 cabin/10 guests version that I have.

About half the builds of this and similar boats are 4 cabins/8 guests and maybe then 4 crew including captain works fine. I run it as me = captain then employ 4 ppl being a chef, chief stewardess, stewardess, and mate/deckhand guy. That seems about right to me but YMMV

Wansworth

Visit site
T
You need paid crew on this - would be an insane amount of work for the owning family otherwise. It's normally built with 4 crew beds but a crew of 4 including captain isn't enough on this boat, imho, and I think you need 5, at least in the 5 cabin/10 guests version that I have.

About half the builds of this and similar boats are 4 cabins/8 guests and maybe then 4 crew including captain works fine. I run it as me = captain then employ 4 ppl being a chef, chief stewardess, stewardess, and mate/deckhand guy. That seems about right to me but YMMV
Thanks,worked on a coast a good while back and the skipper was the owner/engineer,I was mate/2nd engineer and the crew was mainly friends of the skipper with occasional third hand,it really only worked as everyone got on like a family……I guess choice of your crew is paramount

jfm

Visit site
Was just watching a bit of Aquaholic's video on the SD96, that too was quite impressive, it has accommodation for 4 crew + Captain in the crew quarters.
Yup. That boat has more interior volume and outside surface area, and will be better imho with 5 than 4 crew.
Must say, I didn't think that was one of the best interiors on an SD96 :)
(Aquaholic is lined up to video my boat in September, at the Cannes show. If anyone here is going to the Cannes show let me know nearer the time and I can help you get on board and on the Sanlorenzo stand.)

jfm

Visit site
T

Thanks,worked on a coast a good while back and the skipper was the owner/engineer,I was mate/2nd engineer and the crew was mainly friends of the skipper with occasional third hand,it really only worked as everyone got on like a family……I guess choice of your crew is paramount
Yup choice of crew is very important, esp in such a small space. I've been very lucky on that score - one guy was let go and replaced a couple of weeks ago, and the current 4 crew (3 women, one guy) are fantastic. Really nice people, really competent.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yup. That boat has more interior volume and outside surface area, and will be better imho with 5 than 4 crew.
Must say, I didn't think that was one of the best interiors on an SD96 :)
(Aquaholic is lined up to video my boat in September, at the Cannes show. If anyone here is going to the Cannes show let me know nearer the time and I can help you get on board and on the Sanlorenzo stand.)
Coincidentally I had an email a few days ago from SL saying that they would have an SL96 at Cannes, I wondered if it might be yours!

Reactions: jfm

Bajansailor

Visit site
I run it as me = captain then employ 4 ppl being a chef, chief stewardess, stewardess, and mate/deckhand guy
If you are not doing commercial work, is the Mate (still) required to have at least a Yachtmaster Offshore ticket?
And would the four crew need to have STCW tickets?
I remember you had mentioned doing an overnight passage - re watch keeping, would you and your guests share the watches, in similar fashion to a smaller yacht? Or would it just be you and the Mate effectively in charge of the watches?
Re how you don't have a full time engineer, you mentioned that you can easily do oil changes when required, but would tasks like engine room cleaning and other basic maintenance be contracted out to a shore based company when you are at your home port?
Re your chase boat shared with your brother, does this have a full time crew member? Or do the crew come from the two yachts as required?

The manning and operation of Match is in stark contrast to some of the 'bigger' (ie all of 50' - 60') motor yachts that live in the two marinas here - the owners of some of these vessels rely on a shore based company to supply a skipper for the times when they want to take the boat out, and the shore based company also does all the maintenance and cleaning.
And especially so if the owners want to go on a cruise to the Grenadines which are 100 miles west of us. The Owner's party might then go on the overnight delivery passage, but they will often fly back at the end of their holiday, as the alternative is a long slog to windward against the easterly tradewinds (typically around 20 - 25 knots in our 'winter' time).

jfm

Visit site
If you are not doing commercial work, is the Mate (still) required to have at least a Yachtmaster Offshore ticket?
And would the four crew need to have STCW tickets?
I remember you had mentioned doing an overnight passage - re watch keeping, would you and your guests share the watches, in similar fashion to a smaller yacht? Or would it just be you and the Mate effectively in charge of the watches?
Re how you don't have a full time engineer, you mentioned that you can easily do oil changes when required, but would tasks like engine room cleaning and other basic maintenance be contracted out to a shore based company when you are at your home port?
Re your chase boat shared with your brother, does this have a full time crew member? Or do the crew come from the two yachts as required?

The manning and operation of Match is in stark contrast to some of the 'bigger' (ie all of 50' - 60') motor yachts that live in the two marinas here - the owners of some of these vessels rely on a shore based company to supply a skipper for the times when they want to take the boat out, and the shore based company also does all the maintenance and cleaning.
And especially so if the owners want to go on a cruise to the Grenadines which are 100 miles west of us. The Owner's party might then go on the overnight delivery passage, but they will often fly back at the end of their holiday, as the alternative is a long slog to windward against the easterly tradewinds (typically around 20 - 25 knots in our 'winter' time).
It's a red ensign (Jersey) flagged privately owned <24m boat used only privately, so all answers are the same as for a 40foot Fairline/Sunseeker, ie no-one needs any ticket for anything. I have YM offshore+ICC and the crew have STCW95 plus the deckhand/mate has much more, but there is no "need" or "required" .

Overnight passages will be done case by case but the one to Sardinia next week (260nm to one waypoint straight line), will have me and 2 x crew folks sharing watches. Darkness is about 10pm till 5 or 6am. We will delay the trip if sea state isn't nice.

I do basic maintenance. There is no engine room cleaning because there is no source of dirt - it just stays spotless automatically. Nothing leaks. Chase boat is crewed by someone borrowed from one of the yachts, or by me/my brother. On anything other than 5nm trips it is towed. Also it is crewed by guests if they are competent and if they want to. Plenty of friends are boatie people - a guest (friend) on board tomorrow/this weekend drove Miss Geico for years with Steve Curtis (Steve is a throttles guy) and has won cowes-torquay-cowes, so he will be ok in the chase boat (understatement - and he will probably tell me it sucks and needs a Mercury Racing500 :) )

Bouba

Visit site
It's a red ensign (Jersey) flagged privately owned <24m boat used only privately, so all answers are the same as for a 40foot Fairline/Sunseeker, ie no-one needs any ticket for anything. I have YM offshore+ICC and the crew have STCW95 plus the deckhand/mate has much more, but there is no "need" or "required" .

Overnight passages will be done case by case but the one to Sardinia next week (260nm to one waypoint straight line), will have me and 2 x crew folks sharing watches. Darkness is about 10pm till 5 or 6am. We will delay the trip if sea state isn't nice.

I do basic maintenance. There is no engine room cleaning because there is no source of dirt - it just stays spotless automatically. Nothing leaks. Chase boat is crewed by someone borrowed from one of the yachts, or by me/my brother. On anything other than 5nm trips it is towed. Also it is crewed by guests if they are competent and if they want to. Plenty of friends are boatie people - a guest (friend) on board tomorrow/this weekend drove Miss Geico for years with Steve Curtis (Steve is a throttles guy) and has won cowes-torquay-cowes, so he will be ok in the chase boat (understatement - and he will probably tell me it sucks and needs a Mercury Racing500 :) )
Is the boat rated Category A ?
And….I know that people with superyachts have lots of friends…but your social circle is amazing if you need 100 towels just to cater for them…just saying….we keep eight swimming size towels onboard…and five are for the dog 🤔😳

jfm

Visit site
Cat A yes.
Quantities depend on cabin numbers not social circle. Do the math: 8 bathrooms each used/usable by two people = 32 towels. x 2 for changeovers = 64. Dayhead and swim towels (also x2 for changeovers) gets you to about 100. Washing machines don't stop :)

Seastoke

Visit site
Jon I was reading one of your comment today, I picked a MBM up from marina reception , when finished I realised it was from 2014 with no mention of a SL96 , it did mention Bouba’s diesel leak was going to be in next months edition.

jfm

Visit site
Not to mention her propulsion, which is a toy in comparison to yours.
That alone tells a lot about the clients the two lines of boats are targeting!
Just to clear any confusion, my "machined components" comment was a slight in-joke (sorry) and not a negative comment aimed at sx88's or at Hard8. The backstory is that Colhel (Colin, known to many on here) is a wizard of a machinist and he has kindly made me several machined (turned, CNC milled) stainless steel components for the boat :)