New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

roa312

Visit site
Thanks for posting all those pictures—looks very nice! I just noticed that the caulking on the bathing platform is black. I'm not aware if that's standard and if it's because white caulking doesn't hold up well under the harsher conditions there?

Given the size of the boat, do you need to book marina berths well in advance and plan your waypoints accordingly, or how do you manage that?

Hurricane

Visit site
It looks like it because it is! (y)
The islet at the horizon in the 2nd pic is much harder to identify, but I won't spill the beans for a while because I'm curious to check if anyone by now familiar with southern Sardinia can spot it and win a virtual Mars bar... :cool:
My guess would be Corno but I only went there a couple of times (once with you)

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for posting all those pictures—looks very nice! I just noticed that the caulking on the bathing platform is black. I'm not aware if that's standard and if it's because white caulking doesn't hold up well under the harsher conditions there?

Given the size of the boat, do you need to book marina berths well in advance and plan your waypoints accordingly, or how do you manage that?
The caulking throughout the boat is light grey. The bathing platform is made of slats, with drain gaps between them, and no caulking at all. The gaps just look like black in the pictures. I don't love this part of the design and I think a traditional caulked platform would have been better, but it's been a sanlorenzo thing for years.

jfm

Visit site
My guess would be Corno but I only went there a couple of times (once with you)
Nope!
It's Isola del Toro. The southern most bit of Sardinia I think.
The photo is taken running southwards down the west coast of Sant'Antioco island, the island just south east of San Pietro island.

Dogone

Visit site
Nope!
The photo is taken running southwards down the west coast of Sant'Antioco island, the island just south east of San Pietro island.
Looks really nice. I’m currently near the toe of Italy and looking for a cruising ground for next year. It will be probably either Carloforte and so near you now or Capo d’Orlando or similar in N. Sicily. What do you reckon? My preference is quiet, not chaos.

MapisM

Visit site
Wow, that qualifies as a connoisseur comment! (y)
Even most locals, if asked what's the southernmost tip of Sardinia, would answer Cape Teulada.
But that's indeed the Toro island instead, albeit barely.
I guess that's understandable, when you consider that it's a small, completely uninhabited islet right in the middle of nowhere, and not along any route.
Though it's good for fishing, as I'm told! 😋

MapisM

Visit site
I think this is looking from the other direction.
That's an interesting pic, M.
In fact, the Toro island at the horizon is definitely south of where it was taken - i.e., by and large from the same perspective as jfm pic.
That's easy to tell because, if you look at the (rather typical) profile of the islet, it's the same as in jfm pic.
If you were looking in the opposite direction (i.e. pointing N), that profile would be reversed.

BUT, while I can be positive about this, I struggle to understand in which bay you were anchored in this pic.
In fact, the Toro position at the horizon suggests that the pic was taken somewhere along the E side of San Pietro island, but that's a stretch of coast that I literally know like the back of my hand, and I can't for the life of me think of a place like it, in that area.
Any chance that the pic is flipped horizontally, maybe? :unsure:

Hurricane

Visit site
That's an interesting pic, M.
In fact, the Toro island at the horizon is definitely south of where it was taken - i.e., by and large from the same perspective as jfm pic.
That's easy to tell because, if you look at the (rather typical) profile of the islet, it's the same as in jfm pic.
If you were looking in the opposite direction (i.e. pointing N), that profile would be reversed.

BUT, while I can be positive about this, I struggle to understand in which bay you were anchored in this pic.
In fact, the Toro position at the horizon suggests that the pic was taken somewhere along the E side of San Pietro island, but that's a stretch of coast that I literally know like the back of my hand, and I can't for the life of me think of a place like it, in that area.
Any chance that the pic is flipped horizontally, maybe? :unsure:
My mistake, P
This chart extract will explain

SanAntioco.png

So, the island in my photo is Isola la Vacca
And the one in JFM's photo is (as he said) Isola del Toro
I don't speak the local language but it looks to me that the names have similar meanings.
We were in Torre Cannai - I think you suggested it would be a good place to anchor.
In fact, it was lovely.

MapisM

Visit site
We were in Torre Cannai - I think you suggested it would be a good place to anchor.
In fact, it was lovely.
Doh! Yes I did, and yes, now I recognize it.
But I believe it's actually the Toro island also in your photo, at first glance it just appeared to me as more distant (hence my inference that you might have been around S.Pietro).
The Vacca island is a bit larger, has a different profile, a tower on top, and a small islet called Vitello very close to it.
Just as a folkloristic note, Toro, Vacca and Vitello are the Italian for bull, cow and calf respectively! :cool:

Bouba

Visit site
Doh! Yes I did, and yes, now I recognize it.
But I believe it's actually the Toro island also in your photo, at first glance it just appeared to me as more distant (hence my inference that you might have been around S.Pietro).
The Vacca island is a bit larger, has a different profile, a tower on top, and a small islet called Vitello very close to it.
Just as a folkloristic note, Toro, Vacca and Vitello are the Italian for bull, cow and calf respectively! :cool:
Thanks - that now makes sense.
It’s the origin of the word vaccine....from cowpox