New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Evening all. I hope to document here highlights from this new project for anyone who likes to see under the skin of how boats like this are put together. This might go on for a while because as of today (March 2023) the hull is being moulded and the scheduled launch date is April 2024.
The basic boat spec is:
Sanlorenzo SL96A
Made in Ameglia, just south of La Spezia, in that prime yacht building territory of Tuscany Italy.
LOA 96 feet/29 metres
Displacement about 100 tonnes light, 110 heavy
Machinery: 2 x V16 MTU main engines, 2400hp each, and
2x 45kva Kohler Gensets with the John Deere 4045 4.5 litre diesel engines
Fuel 10,350 litres
Stabilisation = Sleipner 2nd generation curved vector fins, hydraulic, 1.65m sq fin size
Airco 145,000 btu/hr from triple Condaria chillers with inverter driven variable speed compressors
Cabins: 5 guest cabins, 3 crew cabins but one crew cabin can be borrowed for kids of guests, so it can function like a 6 cabin boat. All 8 cabins have ensuite shower rooms, and there's a day head too.

Here are some basic pictures (sistership brochure shots, obvs). The layout is slightly unusual – asymmetric. Side deck starboard side, widebody port side, but styled so it does not look widebody at first glance. Took me a while to digest, but having spent time on it I love it and think it will work really well. Also you can get from flybridge straight to foredeck without going down either fly staircase. And it has an internal staircase, via a beautiful raised pilothouse, which I need to write about later because the electronics/nav spec is interesting.

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-port.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-stern-qtr-stbd.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-stern-qtr-port.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow-stbd.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow-port.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
In some later posts I try to find time if folks wish to explain the choice of boat (there are plenty of 90-95 footers on the market), a bunch more detailed technical stuff, and build photos as the thing gets built over the next year or so. The spec list runs to 500 lines+ so there is a lot of detail if you want it.

I’m also building a chase boat (shared 50/50 with my brother who posts on here as SilverDee) and I’ll post some info on that. It’s a new build Ribeye Prime 8-21 with Yamaha SBW300, and lots of tricks like hard top, loo, joystick, variable speed bowthruster, floating dock, etc

I signed the contract for the Sanlorenzo summer 2022 so I have already spent quite a lot of time with the UK dealer, Nick Hatfield of SL UK (part of Ancasta) and the Sanlorenzo team in Italy, and I have to say they are all great and they are turning out to be fantastic to work with. Sanlorenzo are of course much more of a proper custom builder than most others and all the UK builders. The others start with a standard design and you negotiate modifications, and you choose (say) your wood veneer from their choice of three, in “matt” or “gloss”. Sanlorenzo on the other hand build you any boat you want within the hull shape and really live up to their word when they say “No other boat will be like your Sanlorenzo, not even another Sanlorenzo”. Just on, say, wood veneer there is no menu – you pick any wood veneer available anywhere in the world and any degree of gloss from 0% to 100% in 5% increments. There is an immense amount of “choosing stuff” to do, for a customer who wants to. Certainly far more than any other 29m production boat from any builder. Customers can of just make basic choices then ask for the default build spec, which would take a few hours, but none (or hardly any) of these boats are built like that.

Ribeye are fantastic too – we have made one trip to their Dartmouth factory and they build beautiful boats with an incredibly enthusiastic team – more on that project (with renders and build pictures) in a while. That boat will be delivered June 2023.

Next, here are GAs of my particular project.

It’s the standard 5 cabin layout but has some mods such as:

VIP cabin shower rooms made “part of cabins” with sliding doors and internal glass doors to WC and shower, so sliding doors can mostly be left open
3rd crew cabin and shower room right in the bow, instead of crew mess
Inner hallway to owner’s cabin
Custom dining table on fly with wrap around sofa
Plenty of salon furniture mods

GA-profile.jpg

GA-fly.jpg

GA-fly-mode-B.jpg

GA-main.jpg

GA-lower.jpg

GA-wheelhouse.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Next some pictures from the factory, all taken this month (March 2023). Hull in the mould obvs. It won’t come out of the mould till end April, partly because there is plenty more to do (stringers and frames) and partly because they like a long cure time. This mould is only making a few boats a year so the next boat isn’t rushing mine along.

build-001-20230224-hull-in-mould-early.jpg

Build-004-230307-mould-hull.jpg

Build-006-230307-mould-hull.jpg

Build-007-230307-mould-hull.jpg

Build-010-230307-mould-hull.jpg

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Great stuff!!

I've been down that way a fair bit in the last couple of years (my boss just sold a 118 after 3 years)

I didn't follow the build, it was purchased when 2 years old but is there a shore power frequency converter going in? They didn't install one on the 118 and it caused a few problems

Other than that, it was a fantastic boat and sold to the first viewer. They seem to hold value extremely well too.

jfm

Visit site
Great stuff!!

I've been down that way a fair bit in the last couple of years (my boss just sold a 118 after 3 years)

I didn't follow the build, it was purchased when 2 years old but is there a shore power frequency converter going in? They didn't install one on the 118 and it caused a few problems

Other than that, it was a fantastic boat and sold to the first viewer. They seem to hold value extremely well too.
Thanks JV. At the moment there is no frequency converter on the spec. Reasons are (a) engine room space, (b) you should only fit one if you need one because they are power hungry monsters! (c) I'm only cruising the Med.

But if you're Genoa based and missed having one, I'm very interested to hear please. What were the problems you hit?