New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Actually, by MTU, you mean Rolls Royce :)

I've just dug out my photos from my visit to the MTU Friedrichshafen factory.
This is a 12 cylinder CR2000 - I can't imagine the size of the ones you are having fitted

View attachment 153058

View attachment 153059

Yes, only the V8 (mine) has the twin turbo - all the others have triple turbos.

Anything bigger than yours, would have to be the CR4000 range.
I was told that CR2000 means 2 litres per cylinder (actually, I believe they are 2.2 litres per cylinder) - CR4000 means 4 litres per cylinder
CR stands for Common Rail, of course.
MTU also make an 8000!!!
Thanks Hurricane for those great pictures.
Looking back, are you glad you did the Friedrichshafen factory course? How does it work - did they invite you? After you took delivery of the boat?

PEJ

www.sealinesc38forsale.co.uk
Finally some interior renders. This is all work in progress and there are plenty of changes in hand, but this gives a basic idea.

Interior-salon-lkg-forward.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-stbd-fwd.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-stbd-aft.jpg

Interior-owner-cab-1.jpg

Interior-owner-cab-2.jpg

Interior-owner-cab-hallway.jpg

Interior-owner-cab-bathroom.jpg

Interior-VIP-cab-2.jpg
I noticed on some new boats that they have wood flooring around the outside and carpet in the middle but the carpet is set down in a recess so it is level with the wood. Are you going for this or are going for wooden floors wall to wall with rugs on top it?

Elessar

Visit site
I noticed on some new boats that they have wood flooring around the outside and carpet in the middle but the carpet is set down in a recess so it is level with the wood. Are you going for this or are going for wooden floors wall to wall with rugs on top it?
worse - look! Bet it won't be that sloppy on the real thing.
Capture.JPG

jfm

Visit site
I'm doing wooden floors wall to wall with rugs on top. I don't like the thing where carpet is set into a recess. No particular reason, but I just don't like it. Sanlorenzo would do it if I asked of course.

The wood floor is Cadorin, made in Italy, btw.

jfm

Visit site
View attachment 153067
Haha - hope not! Those gaps must be in Cadorin's 3D model for their floor, I guess.

These interior renders are not final by the way - lots of details are being worked on. The saloon mood lighting has got a lot of attention and is going to be amazing at night - the pictures don't show that. There's also a decent AV system that I'll explain in a later post.

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Thanks JV. At the moment there is no frequency converter on the spec. Reasons are (a) engine room space, (b) you should only fit one if you need one because they are power hungry monsters! (c) I'm only cruising the Med.

But if you're Genoa based and missed having one, I'm very interested to hear please. What were the problems you hit?

It's just for the times when you find yourself on a very poor shore supply (for us it was always southern end of Italy, Sicily, parts of Sardinia, Greece all over). I remember seeing some crazy numbers (190 volts instead of 220!) between the phases, making nothing like a full 3 phase voltage, the ASEA we had in the Sunseeker 92 could deal with everything. We had problems with it and changed to a much more basic line voltage regulator (was about €5k), it can do much less but at least it stopped the power cutting out all the time. I think they'll be installing a UPS as standard for the AV stuff, to keep that alive when you lose power even momentarily.

Also, you're at the size of boat where they'll often put you in a berth that has e.g. only 1 3-phase plug available for more than 1 boat but more single phase supplies, so sometimes if you're on berth, it means running a generator during the day but then being able to switch down to a single phase supply overnight, just with 1 chiller running etc.

A full blown shorepower frequency converter is probably not worth the money or hassle but a simple LVR definately.

MapisM

Visit site
(y)Italy is becoming more and more attractive by the day...
Plan to do Sardinia properly in first season = 2024 so please put some beers on ice :)
No worries, there's always some!
Together with bubbles (Franciacorta, mostly - French stuff is banned on our boat... 😇) and also several other whites and reds - pick your poison!

Life is short, you know.
I thought I'd better get decent quantities of all that stuff before they will be obliged to print health warnings on the labels.
Since so far there has never been any, it's safe to assume that the content is good for us, I reckon! :cool:

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
A full blown shorepower frequency converter is probably not worth the money or hassle but a simple LVR definately.
Do you mean a low voltage release device, for disconnecting automatically the shorepower whenever voltage drops (having, I guess, one genset started automatically)?
If so, I can see why that thing could come in handy, in the situations you describe. But I struggle to get how a freq. converter could fix the problem of a line where the voltage (not only 3ph btw, but also single) drops because it's overloaded... :unsure:

In fact, I believe that is always the problem, when you see 200V or even less on dockside connection.
The grid voltage is usually very stable at 230/400V anywhere in IT, S included.
But you only get some of that when many boats are drawing a lot or current from one (often somewhat undersized) line...

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Thanks Hurricane for those great pictures.
Looking back, are you glad you did the Friedrichshafen factory course? How does it work - did they invite you? After you took delivery of the boat?
My MTU factory course was arranged by Princess (might have been PMYS though).
The course was designed as a "Skippers" course but ended up with a qualification.
From memory, and this may have changed, there are three grades of qualification.
The first level (The Skippers one) "qualifies" you to do maintenance (oil changes etc - up to valve clearances)
The second one approves you to strip down the major components.
And the final level you would be expected to be able to strip and rebuild.

The course, though, was really interesting - visited the production line etc.
Lasted about 5 days.
I only paid for my hotel and travel - I don't know if Princess were charged or not.
On our course, there were PMYS sales staff/managers as well as a Skipper - I was the only Owner Operator.

Well worth it though.
I picked up loads if tips.

Portofino

Visit site
View attachment 153067
That’s in layman’s terms double click .It clicks on a long side ( all done correct) AND a short side ……not done correctly.There’s a knack , it’s to do with the angulation when you present the new piece to the layered floor .Get it wrong and ……..well you can see the gaps .

Don't ask me how I found this out :) .All fixable , you just have to be careful not to bust any tongue when you unclip it ….to redo it all .Lock down woes . :)

sap_2000

Visit site
Finally :)
Thank you for making the time to post details of your build in progress. Having followed the build of Match I and II on this forum, I have really been looking forward to this one. I suspect the attention to details and level of customisations will reach another level with SL then what was possible with Fairline.

Looking forward to lots of nerdy details and considerations made along the way :)

Machinery: 2 x V16 MTU main engines, 2400hp each, and
Fuel 10,350 litres

What kind of performance and fuel figures are you expecting at various speeds? I remember you had an extra fuel tank fitted to MII. Is this the standard fuel capacity on this SL96, or is it already upgraded to "extended range"?

With a bigger boat, do you see yourself spending more time at displacements speeds? maybe more overnight passages and "enjoy the ride", or will you use it more or less like the SQ 78?
With 10.000 liters, you got many hours at D-speeds, but I'm guessing 12/13 hours + reserve at high cruise.
Was there an option for even bigger tanks?

ebbanflo

Visit site
Evening all. I hope to document here highlights from this new project for anyone who likes to see under the skin of how boats like this are put together. This might go on for a while because as of today (March 2023) the hull is being moulded and the scheduled launch date is April 2024.
The basic boat spec is:
Sanlorenzo SL96A
Made in Ameglia, just south of La Spezia, in that prime yacht building territory of Tuscany Italy.
LOA 96 feet/29 metres
Displacement about 100 tonnes light, 110 heavy
Machinery: 2 x V16 MTU main engines, 2400hp each, and
2x 45kva Kohler Gensets with the John Deere 4045 4.5 litre diesel engines
Fuel 10,350 litres
Stabilisation = Sleipner 2nd generation curved vector fins, hydraulic, 1.65m sq fin size
Airco 145,000 btu/hr from triple Condaria chillers with inverter driven variable speed compressors
Cabins: 5 guest cabins, 3 crew cabins but one crew cabin can be borrowed for kids of guests, so it can function like a 6 cabin boat. All 8 cabins have ensuite shower rooms, and there's a day head too.

Here are some basic pictures (sistership brochure shots, obvs). The layout is slightly unusual – asymmetric. Side deck starboard side, widebody port side, but styled so it does not look widebody at first glance. Took me a while to digest, but having spent time on it I love it and think it will work really well. Also you can get from flybridge straight to foredeck without going down either fly staircase. And it has an internal staircase, via a beautiful raised pilothouse, which I need to write about later because the electronics/nav spec is interesting.

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-port.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-stern-qtr-stbd.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-stern-qtr-port.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow-stbd.jpg

Brochure-Reine-D-Azur-bow-port.jpg
It was your last build thread that got me interested in this forum. Thank you! A new build will rekindle interest and get me looking at the site every day again. Your enthusiasm and knowledge shown in the detailed updates have always been enjoyed.
PS Congratulation on your new vessel!!

jfm

Visit site
That’s in layman’s terms double click .It clicks on a long side ( all done correct) AND a short side ……not done correctly.There’s a knack , it’s to do with the angulation when you present the new piece to the layered floor .Get it wrong and ……..well you can see the gaps .

Don't ask me how I found this out :) .All fixable , you just have to be careful not to bust any tongue when you unclip it ….to redo it all .Lock down woes . :)
That’s not correct. This is cadorin, the best you can get, with absolutely no clicking.
That picture is just a 3D render, not a real floor. The gaps are fault of a code writer not a floor fitter.

Portofino

Visit site
That’s not correct. This is cadorin, the best you can get, with absolutely no clicking.
That picture is just a 3D render, not a real floor. The gaps are fault of a code writer not a floor fitter.
I should have said “ appears to be “You get the same gaps as I said . The small side clicks with a gap but not quite flush as it can be deceiving the fitter to thinking it’s correct .It also clicks if know how with zero gap .It’s like it’s got two positions .
I don’t understand your “ fault code reader “ meaning .Let’s leave this tiny side show here .
I was offering up a plausible explanation from experience that’s all .
Mine was a lockdown spare room DIY effort .Got it right in the end .

jfm

Visit site
I should have said “ appears to be “You get the same gaps as I said . The small side clicks with a gap but not quite flush as it can be deceiving the fitter to thinking it’s correct .It also clicks if know how with zero gap .It’s like it’s got two positions .
I don’t understand your “ fault code reader “ meaning .Let’s leave this tiny side show here .
I was offering up a plausible explanation from experience that’s all .
Mine was a lockdown spare room DIY effort .Got it right in the end .
You seem not to be getting that it’s a 3D render, not a real floor. Like a CGI movie. Your experience of real floors is therefore irrelevant. The gaps are the fault of a code writer- whoever put together the 3D code, not the fault of any actual floor fitter who fits real floors. There won’t be any such gaps in the actual boat they’re going to build.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
You seem not to be getting that it’s a 3D render, not a real floor. Your experience of real floors is therefore irrelevant. The gaps are the fault of a code writer- whoever put together the 3D code. Not the fault of any actual floor fitter who fits real floors.
Yes I do the “ 3 D render fault code “ thingy is by pure coincidence giving the impression of a fitting very easy to fall into fitting error I have described.
Coincidences happen .

While we are on floors and you say yours is bespoke like the other SL s ( a nice feature btw) have you actually seen this Laying and useful suggestions stuff on a boat ?

The reason I ask I also have experienced of speccing new build properties with wood floors , liaising with builders , wood ( solid oak planks ) manufacturers etc etc .
Its fraught with rabbit holes and gotchas …..principally they move .Yes move dimensionally depending on water content .
Shrink ,or expand in which case lift .

Thats why there’s merit in click on two sides locking on a boat imho .
Your manufacture ( skimming the site ) seems to be just regular tongue + groove .They do suggest light glue of the T+G though.

Presume SL have used this before ? Thus its free from all these potential issues going Fwds ?

The best boat floor material I have seen is used by Pershing ( poss other Ferretti G boats ? ) .
Its totally synthetic but Uber natural looking and does not move .JV had it on his Pershing .It’s like corian , stain proof can be sanded easily repaired etc .Cool under foot even in sunlight .Dog wee proof as well . ;)

I don’t know what it’s called maybe JV can chime in .I know it’s very expensive.Very .
Way more than wood .I think from memory a few hundred / sq meter .An owner of a P115 was so chuffed with it he enquired having it in his Malibou beach house ( multi million $ real estate ); …balked at the price .Stayed with wood .
Just saying ,

Edit = seen the “ yacht “ pages on the site should be ok 👍

Last edited: