New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

MapisM

Visit site
Just to clear any confusion, my "machined components" comment was a slight in-joke (sorry) and not a negative comment aimed at sx88's or at Hard8. The backstory is that Colhel (Colin, known to many on here) is a wizard of a machinist and he has kindly made me several machined (turned, CNC milled) stainless steel components for the boat :)
Aha, I see. I didn't get it, in fact. (y)
OTOH, my comment about IPS vs. MTUs on shafts being in completely different leagues wasn't a joke at all! :p

jfm

Visit site
Yes indeed - same name and based in Sardinia too!
The SL120A is rather nice but that particular one has been for sale a year and is sticking because it has (by first owner choice) no owner cabin on main deck forward. Instead it has an inside dining room there, perhaps the most useless thing imaginable in the Mediterranean. They are gonna have to work hard to sell it.

I think David Seal has the fuel consumption understated by a factor of 2 at 3:12 in the video. There is no way on earth that boat does 8 litres a mile at 12 knots. 16lpm yes, 8 no. I think he meant 100 litres/hr PER ENGINE.

Mr Googler

Visit site
The SL120A is rather nice but that particular one has been for sale a year and is sticking because it has (by first owner choice) no owner cabin on main deck forward. Instead it has an inside dining room there, perhaps the most useless thing imaginable in the Mediterranean. They are gonna have to work hard to sell it.

I think David Seal has the fuel consumption understated by a factor of 2 at 3:12 in the video. There is no way on earth that boat does 8 litres a mile at 12 knots. 16lpm yes, 8 no. I think he meant 100 litres/hr PER ENGINE.
Perhaps he’d done an Itama review just before and got his figures mixed up

roa312

Visit site
It's surprising to me when these very large yachts come up for sale so soon after being delivered. In this case, I guess the owner had 2-3 seasons before putting the boat on the market in 2023. I imagine this isn't much longer compared to the full build time.

I mainly keep an eye on boats for sale in the Nordics and I've noticed several 2022-2023 privately owned boats listed this year. However, these have all been a lot smaller than the above - lots of Princesses etc. I wonder if it's because people decide to go for other boats or why it is. Maybe this trend was always there and I just didn't notice it before.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
It's surprising to me when these very large yachts come up for sale so soon after being delivered. In this case, I guess the owner had 2-3 seasons before putting the boat on the market in 2023. I imagine this isn't much longer compared to the full build time.

I mainly keep an eye on boats for sale in the Nordics and I've noticed several 2022-2023 privately owned boats listed this year. However, these have all been a lot smaller than the above - lots of Princesses etc. I wonder if it's because people decide to go for other boats or why it is. Maybe this trend was always there and I just didn't notice it before.
It used to happen in the past but before Covid, it was mostly with the first hulls (0-5 above 24 mtrs) and like they would be in the first two years, because they are sold to friends of the builder or one of the big agents or the builder himself takes it.

Since - After Covid its happening like x10 more.

Parabolica

Visit site
Stunningly beautiful boat by SL, beautifully specified by yourself and fantastically executed by all involved.

You are a very lucky man, said with total respect for the fact that you have made this happen in your life.

Very well done Sir. I doth my cap.

alt

Visit site
I think JFM has answered this already? He has 4 full time crew, and JFM skippers the boat.
Cheers. In 50+ pages, I missed it.

I'm guessing 4 crew is for comfort ie. cook / stew etc... I was more referring to 'bare minimum' ie. "I want to go out for a spin, what is the skeleton crew required" .... I'm going to guess 2, but not putting money on it!

jrudge

Visit site
It is under 24m so you are free to single hand it if you like !

Practically I would suggest skipper plus 1. Bow lines / stern lines. It is a long jog from one end to the other so skipper plus 2 will be much easier all round.

MapisM

Visit site
Back in pre-CE/RCD days, when in Italy all boats above 25hp were certified by RINA, they used to specify in the boat license the minimum crew requirement.
My old timber lady was one of them, and her license required captain +1 even if she was only a 53 footer.
I suspect that if it were for RINA, they would specify a minimum requirement of captain + 2 for the SL.
Anyway, formal rules aside, it would be foolish to singlehand a 30m boat, IMHO!

jfm

Visit site
J - Question for you.... what is the bare minimum you'd have as crew to take her out?
Minimum would usually be 2, the second person being needed to help with lines when coming back into the berth. If it weren't for the practicalities of coming back into a med berth, or if I knew my brother was on board his boat next to mine and could jump on as I came back into my berth, I would happily take her out single handed un ultra calm conditions.

I'm running with 4 crew plus me as captain but that is not the minimum. The 4/5 crew is to provide the hotel service side of things as well as run the boat.

Boat is in Sardinia at the moment on a long vacation. Glorious weather, and it's great to be outside of the French "no-anchoring" rules. A few random pics below.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
IMG-8005.jpg

IMG-7533.jpg

IMG-7531.jpg

IMG-8064.jpg

05825568-1-AC2-4-F58-8-C08-834-C2-BA95-F5-A.jpg

IMG-7208.jpg

IMG-7248.jpg

IMG-7317.jpg

619dd3c5-bbf0-4061-adca-97ca1e710597.jpg

7fc98d95-5b89-4031-9491-3ae4fb92e4a5.jpg

56c3ba01-30dc-45b5-ba03-80040d99dea4.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

a731c732-b4d5-4e51-bcbd-21a17bfea4e0.jpg

IMG-7625.jpg

0775945b-9949-4294-9c36-fb17213df2d3.jpg

IMG-7825.jpg

IMG-7831.jpg

IMG-8016.jpg

IMG-8018.jpg

IMG-8017.jpg

MapisM

Visit site
It looks like it because it is! (y)
The islet at the horizon in the 2nd pic is much harder to identify, but I won't spill the beans for a while because I'm curious to check if anyone by now familiar with southern Sardinia can spot it and win a virtual Mars bar... :cool: