New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

crazy4557

Visit site
Thats exactly the boat I would love to own, but only if I won the lottery, perfect size, stunning looking with a beautifully thought out interior. You must be so pleased to have such a fine machine, congratulations.

jfm

Visit site
The new Match looks amazing, John. Thanks for completing the thread. Hope the snagging will now be quickly resolved.

In this pic - view looking forward is stunning - are the two unlit lamps immediately above the wheel red or separately switchable white lights?

View attachment 180039
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
@benjenbav, those lights are the red night lights. Only 2 of them, deliberately, but you could have all 6 in red if you wanted. Actually the slab of flat black dashboard also glows red around the edge (red LEDs under that 20mm black overhang) but the photographer was a bit quick and didn't know how to turn that on so it didn't get in the pic

jfm

Visit site
Thats exactly the boat I would love to own, but only if I won the lottery, perfect size, stunning looking with a beautifully thought out interior. You must be so pleased to have such a fine machine, congratulations.
Thanks and yes I'm incredibly pleased with the boat as a piece of design and with how this particular one has tuned out :) "Perfect size" is an interesting thing. I would prefer it to be a bit bigger, partly for storage, but it's ok. The size is of course fixed by regulations: if you want to drive yourself and not be subject to a load of maritime rules, you must stay under 24m LLL/LH which means 29m LOA in practice, and that's what decides everything really. If you're happy to become a passenger and let a captain do everything (I'm not) then you might as well shoot up to 40-50m. The no man's land of say 32-36m seems a bit pointless to me.

One thing I can say for sure is that the size isn't at all intimidating as a self driver. When I moved from 40 ft to 58. then 58 to 78, and now 78ft to 96ft, each time the new boat felt challenging to drive/park, but only for about 20mins :) After that you realise it's a piece of cake - parking 100ft in a 100 ft space is no different from parking 60ft in a 60 ft space. If anything it is easier, because the motion of bigger boats feels more damped/subdued, and things happen in slower and slower motion as boats get bigger.

Wave crunching ability improves dramatically with size and weight. You almost can't feel moderate waves that would make a smaller boat* bounce and crash, even when the waves are on the nose.
*Itamas excluded of course :)

jfm

Visit site
Hope you have a great time Mark. Weather/temperature got lots better as of last weekend - the dial got turned up a few clicks'. I'm there this weekend Saturday-Tuesday, then back in UK, then heading to Sardinia/Corse for about a month starting Saturday week 27th July

roa312

Visit site
Congratulations on this amazing boat! I hope you have a fantastic time on your trips this summer. I chuckled when I saw your comment in #1.065 about needing more storage space—it seems like all boat owners truly can never have enough storage space :LOL:

I have a few questions if that's okay:
  1. Did you customize the sundeck space in front of the flybridge? It looks great compared to some other boats where it's more uniform. I also noticed you opted out of the triangular sunpad on the foredeck that covers the ground tackle. What led you to make that choice?
  2. I'm not familiar with the new Garmin equipment. Could you tell me what is displayed on the 2nd and 3rd screens from the left in the pilothouse?
  3. In the picture of the salon-looking-aft, I noticed a column of buttons or possibly small screens next to the salon door handle. Are these for door controls, A/C, or something else?
  4. Is all the furniture on the back of the flybridge (including the exercise bike) completely free-standing, or do you secure it somehow when underway?
  5. If you don't mind, I would love to see a picture of the garage some time and how you store all the toys, etc. A picture of the bathing platform when it's lowered would also be very interesting (it's impossible to find online). Do you have stairs or some other arrangement to walk down onto the platform when it's lowered?
  6. I also noticed a black pole installed on the port side of the bathing platform. Is that for a sun awning or something else?
Also, don't forget to replace your avatar now - the satellite domes are showing :)

Seastoke

Visit site
JMF The Stoke Crew will be in Antibes first week in august , so looking forward to seeing the the SL in the flesh your attention to detail is astonishing. My next challenge for you is to place a spirit level on the saloon table whilst doing 24 k
In a beam sea, to show of your giro .SS
Yes I promised I would not bring Bouba,or fag packet.

jfm

Visit site
Congratulations on this amazing boat! I hope you have a fantastic time on your trips this summer. I chuckled when I saw your comment in #1.065 about needing more storage space—it seems like all boat owners truly can never have enough storage space :LOL:

I have a few questions if that's okay:
  1. Did you customize the sundeck space in front of the flybridge? It looks great compared to some other boats where it's more uniform. I also noticed you opted out of the triangular sunpad on the foredeck that covers the ground tackle. What led you to make that choice?
  2. I'm not familiar with the new Garmin equipment. Could you tell me what is displayed on the 2nd and 3rd screens from the left in the pilothouse?
  3. In the picture of the salon-looking-aft, I noticed a column of buttons or possibly small screens next to the salon door handle. Are these for door controls, A/C, or something else?
  4. Is all the furniture on the back of the flybridge (including the exercise bike) completely free-standing, or do you secure it somehow when underway?
  5. If you don't mind, I would love to see a picture of the garage some time and how you store all the toys, etc. A picture of the bathing platform when it's lowered would also be very interesting (it's impossible to find online). Do you have stairs or some other arrangement to walk down onto the platform when it's lowered?
  6. I also noticed a black pole installed on the port side of the bathing platform. Is that for a sun awning or something else?
Also, don't forget to replace your avatar now - the satellite domes are showing

1. A bit. The specification mods in the below picture are as follows,
  • tilting backrests instead of the standard flat cushion slabs
  • diamond stitching in the centre cushion
  • Silvertex not cloth fabric (for practical reasons eg rain showers!). Colour = ice (I'm moving away from greys and used this ice colour also on the fly helm chairs).
  • diamond stitching also further forward, in the centre of the seating near the anchors.
  • Upper side deck hand rails are rigid all the way (power coated black) instead of stanchions-with-wire sailboat style as in the standard spec. This mod is not unique - 2 previous SL96A builds have this. too)
  • HiLo electric table in the bow, cushion fits on to make a sunbed in Lo mode
  • Extra gunwhale handrails in the bow area - front pair are standard, aft-er pair are custom
  • Extra mooring capstans (4 total in the bow)
  • Stainless anchor chain
  • Delete the triangle sunpads over the ground tackle - I hate them and hate having to electric motor them up just to work with the ground tackle. Most SL96A builds have these works of the devil
  • Four carbon poles and a sunshade/sail over the bow seating (not in the picture)
  • extra pair of 30cm long cleats (port cleat is right next to the red bottles of suncream). These are folding cleats, sailboat style. I like cleats in this position, sort of 20% back from the bow rather than at the bow itself, for eg tying up alongside at a fuel berth.
JP-03-foredeck.jpg

2. I'm familiar with Garmin though still playing around with set up choices. #2 is a 3D isometric chart view, with white flags showing AIS data on surrounding boats. #3 is massive autopilot heading screen with a big compass rose view. I don't use that one much. I plan to split some screens into 6 windows to show more data more densely - they are 22 inch screens so lots of display area

3. There are for lighting (about 6-8 circuits in the saloon, and 4 on the aft deck) plus electric roman blinds in the saloon (5 off). All these things are controlled by ipads or any of the 14 Garmin touch screen MFDs, but I included this stack of traditional switches as back up. Rather a lot of them and perhaps not the prettiest outcome. The top screen is saloon airco, again a back up because default control is via iPads/Garmin screens. The red box is fire alarm - I have an optional commercial grade fire detection and alarm system. The red things are ugly but the system is important and on a GRP boat this size you want the best fire gear you can get.

4. Aft fly furniture is completely free standing. Left as is when underway in good weather, or lashed to side railings in a storm or delivery trip. Cocowolf.co.uk

5. I'll post some pics soon. The garage is filled by williams 435sj and would have more spare space with a 395. You have to put seabobs etc stuffed in around or on the tender. For our big summer trip, the Williams will live on chocks on the platform, leaving the garage free for junk - that's much easier on a big holiday even if the whole thing doesn't look as sleek with the tender left outside. When garage door is open the port side steps remain as is and the starboard steps lift up with the garage door (even though they can be opened independently when the garage door is shut)

6. Black pole is a shower. Beautiful Italian carbon fibre thing made by InoxStyle. It's connected to boat's hot and cold water, with really neat plug n use fittings so no tools needed. Really liking this, even though the pricing is insane.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
JMF The Stoke Crew will be in Antibes first week in august , so looking forward to seeing the the SL in the flesh your attention to detail is astonishing. My next challenge for you is to place a spirit level on the saloon table whilst doing 24 k
In a beam sea, to show of your giro .SS
Yes I promised I would not bring Bouba,or fag packet.
Alas I'll miss you Stokesea because I'm in Sardinia and Corsica nearly all of August. I cross to Sardinia (Carlo Forte) 27th July, steaming through the night, arriving 28th.
I don't have a gyro (or a giro :)) and a gyro wouldn't work at 24 knots in a decent beam sea. I have fins for stabilisation.
Hope you have a great time in Antibes :)

Seastoke

Visit site
Alas I'll miss you Stokesea because I'm in Sardinia and Corsica nearly all of August. I cross to Sardinia (Carlo Forte) 27th July, steaming through the night, arriving 28th.
I don't have a gyro (or a giro :)) and a gyro wouldn't work at 24 knots in a decent beam sea. I have fins for stabilisation.
Hope you have a great time in Antibes :)
No ,jmf, he has got a SL21 ft.

crazy4557

Visit site
By " perfect size" I should have clarified because with anything bigger then someone else like the captain end's up having all the fun. For me, and much like you probably, the enjoyment of running your own boat comes from your ability, experience and skills to captain it yourself. Anything bigger and it's not a passion because you're not in charge and you loose that connection.

Reactions: jfm

EricJ

Visit site
Thanks and yes I'm incredibly pleased with the boat as a piece of design and with how this particular one has tuned out :) "Perfect size" is an interesting thing. I would prefer it to be a bit bigger, partly for storage, but it's ok. The size is of course fixed by regulations: if you want to drive yourself and not be subject to a load of maritime rules, you must stay under 24m LLL/LH which means 29m LOA in practice, and that's what decides everything really. If you're happy to become a passenger and let a captain do everything (I'm not) then you might as well shoot up to 40-50m. The no man's land of say 32-36m seems a bit pointless to me.

One thing I can say for sure is that the size isn't at all intimidating as a self driver. When I moved from 40 ft to 58. then 58 to 78, and now 78ft to 96ft, each time the new boat felt challenging to drive/park, but only for about 20mins :) After that you realise it's a piece of cake - parking 100ft in a 100 ft space is no different from parking 60ft in a 60 ft space. If anything it is easier, because the motion of bigger boats feels more damped/subdued, and things happen in slower and slower motion as boats get bigger.

Wave crunching ability improves dramatically with size and weight. You almost can't feel moderate waves that would make a smaller boat* bounce and crash, even when the waves are on the nose.
*Itamas excluded of course :)
Hi JFM, what an amazing boat, really beautiful. Nice colour choices, modern, up to date and warm at the same time. Congratulations on completing this 2.5 year project. Interesting that you mention that you could do with more storage. Is that specifically for toys that you can carry with such boat? I guess there must be plenty storage for provisions and parts for extended cruising.
Thanks for sharing the photos and I am also keenly interested in some engine room pics 😊

roa312

Visit site
Thank you for the detailed write-up! I really liked the diamond stitching on the center cushions of the sun pad and forward bow seating. After comparing it to some other boats, I can see that it really enhances the look.

I also checked out the showers from InoxStyle, and wow they are cool!

Reactions: jfm

jfm

Visit site
Hi JFM, what an amazing boat, really beautiful. Nice colour choices, modern, up to date and warm at the same time. Congratulations on completing this 2.5 year project. Interesting that you mention that you could do with more storage. Is that specifically for toys that you can carry with such boat? I guess there must be plenty storage for provisions and parts for extended cruising.
Thanks for sharing the photos and I am also keenly interested in some engine room pics 😊
Hi Eric. I think it's a human condition - this boat has tons of storage but one always seems to need more. It sleeps 10 or 11 and can handle more day guests, so it has 20 place settings of crockery and perhaps 120 or so drinking glasses. Then some big serving plates, jugs, decanters, etc. The chef has mixers, Thermomix, air fryers and all sorts of things. Then with more people and crew you need massive stocks of soft drinks and water, and wine. Then you have maybe nearly 100 towels by the time you allow for backups, and so it goes on. I have some new toys (Awake Vinga 3 for example) and these are all bigger than they seemed in the brochure. Then there are tons of spare parts and my tools. Also the covers for all the exterior furniture, and the two sun awning "sails" all need half a garage to be stored in. There's a full on disco (from BartW of this parish) with amplifier, Pioneer DJ deck, 4 speakers, a massive subwoofer, and all that needs to be stored. Plus 20 lifejackets.
You see my point :) :)

Last edited: