New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Alicatt

Visit site
AFAIK, on top of building in Turkey, the yard is also owned and managed by Russians.
Which makes them as far from my cup of tea as a boatyard can possibly be!
BTW, having seen one of their boats in flesh, I'd steer clear of them regardless of who builds them and where! (n)
And that's from someone who really loves steel trawlers, to the point of almost buying one, many years ago.

Oh, and thanks to both you and alt for the language clarification.
Good to know that my EN is still OK, if possibly not enough to grasp immediately all subtleties... :giggle:
Yes I was just pulling your leg or as they say here playing with your feet :)

I've not been too keen on the Nauti Guys/Styles, I did, however, sub to their channel just to see the build of this boat, it does remind me a bit of the design of the newer fishing boats and makes me wonder how they are on a beam sea with so much area to catch the wind/waves

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
BTW, having seen one of their boats in flesh, I'd steer clear of them regardless of who builds them and where! (n)
And that's from someone who really loves steel trawlers, to the point of almost buying one, many years ago.
OT warning PMapis speaking of NautiStyles did you see the mess they did with this review.

They called the VZ18 the 56, some research is hard nowadays, it is not that a VZ18 is similar to the 16/56....

jfm

Visit site
Yes weird. That's a VZ18, so 64-65 feet. Nice boat but these guys were going on about how spacious it is for 56 feet.
This channel is well off the boil these days imho.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Here are a few more pics taken in the factory in Italy this morning. It's coming on!:

First some overall exterior shots. The lower aft cockpit deck and sofa are now installed. The big square holes in the deck - both flybridge and saloon - are the engine install/remove soft patches. The third pic below shows one of the upper deck side walkways, that take you from flybridge to sunbathing on starboard side, and from flybridge to foredeck on port side, without having to go via aft cockpit or or via the boat's interior.
Build-064-230906-flybridge-looking-fwd.jpg

Build-062-230906-aft-deck-and-garage.jpg

Build-052-230906-flybridge-from-stb-upper-walkway.jpg

Build-050-230906-stb-under-hull-and-teak-units.jpg

Build-058-230906-stbd-salon-glazing.jpg

Build-065-230906-stbd-side-deck.jpg

The last pic above, of the starboard side deck, needs some scaling - that deck has loads of head clearance and two people can easily pass along the deck in opposite directions, though its not clear in that picture. Below is a picture I took of the same side deck on the SL96A at last year's Cannes show with two people in it - the guy is 6 foot and he isn't going to fall overboard standing there :)
SL96-A-794-stbd-side-deck.jpg

Below is the transom showing flaps, hi-lo mechanism (by H+B Technics) and u/water lights (by Lumishore) . The hilo mechanism looks like it drags in the water, but it doesn't - the unit slides up/down on a jack plate style mechanism as part of the tender launch system, and the picture is in the down position, but when the boat is running it will slide up and not be dragging in the water
Build-055-230906-transom-flap-and-hilo-mechanism.jpg

Here are the topsides, now ripple-less and shiny :)
Build-063-230906-stbd-topside-shine.jpg

Finally some random interiors shots. As you'll see, there is foil-faced insulation everywhere, including internal partition walls and ceilings. First, below, is galley entrance lobby area, looking aft. The lower opening is where subszero fridge draws will go (close to the camera) and also a pair of doors (further away from camera) to storage under the mezzanine floor of the RPH (raised pilot house). The upper slot opening is a serving hatch twixt pilothouse and galley
Build-051-230906-galley-aft-part.jpg

continued...

jfm

Visit site
Next main saloon...
Build-060-230906-salon-looking-fwd.jpg

Next below is port VIP followed by starboard VIP, then port guest cabin...
Build-053-230906-port-VIP-bathroom.jpg

Build-054-230906-stbd-VIP.jpg

Build-061-230906-port-guest-cabin.jpg

Next below is crew staircase. This is on centreline of boat and leads down from galley to 3x twin crew cabins and laundry/storage...
Build-057-230906-crew-stairs.jpg

Below are two shots of the RPH
Build-066-230906-pilothouse-from-galley.jpg

Build-067-230906-pilothouse.jpg

And finally owners cabin looking forward...
Build-068-230906-owner-cabin.jpg

Hope those are interesting and I'll get more pics in a couple of weeks when I next visit factory.

Martxer

Visit site
Following this build with interest. I can’t believe there is so much scaffolding and acro props not just surrounding your new toy but on it and in it.

jfm

Visit site
I mentioned above a serving hatch between the kitchen and the RPH. This post is only for boat nerds who want to look at detailed design, and if that's not you please look away now :)

The function of this hatch is to get food served quickly and dirty plates removed quickly, to/from galley and flybridge. We will mostly dine on flybridge. There are only 5 steps between fly and RPH, so a crew person can collect food "posted" through this hatch from galley to RPH , and only have to walk 5 steps to get it to the dining table. When clearing, the flybridge crew person only has to take the dirty plates 5 steps down to the RPH, and "post" them through the hatch. The person in the galley will do the other half of the job, without any stairs to walk up/down. Human chain.

The hatch has butterfly opening doors on soft open damped hinges, and when in the down position it forms a continuous Dekton flat surface 70 x 90cm. That means when things are "posted" through the hatch, they are actually just placed on this surface, so there is no need to synch the the two people, because this surfaces is a buffer. On the galley side, its only a couple of step from this surface to the dishwashers (2 dishwashers side by side).

Also this allows the galley crew to pass tea and biscuits to the driver, - important on passage. This can be done by leaving the hatch open, or by having the galley person put the tea and biscuits in, then close their door, then the driver opens their door to get the goodies, like a prison door :)

And as a final trick, if a user doesn't want to use this system at all, the hatch on the RPH side can just be be left permanently closed, creating a 90cm wide shallow cupboard in the galley

A drawing is below with this butterfly hatch in red. though I'm not sure the resolution will be good enough.

serving-hatch-galley-RPH.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Following this build with interest. I can’t believe there is so much scaffolding and acro props not just surrounding your new toy but on it and in it.
The thing is pretty high, in terms of reaching and also not falling. Pic below shows a finished SL96A at the factory, with a white van for reference, in a normal blocked position with props close to the tarmac. You can't even reach the waterline when standing on the tarmac.

SL96-A-801-with-panel-van.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Is a fully w/tight hatch going to close the fin actuator box?
And if yes, transparent?
Yes - a flange will bonded to the top of the box, then there is a w/tight hatch with a zillion bolts. I asked for transparent but they don't want to. I might change it myself after delivery (if get round to it...). There is a 24v power supply in the spec so that if I do put a transparent lid on, I can have LED lights inside the box to allow easy/quick inspection.

jfm

Visit site
Also what’s going to be above that hatch ? Presume something easy to gain access for maintenance?

Are those stabs quiet in operation?
Yes, a bed goes above it. See GA snip below. Access is therefore very easy - remove mattress and plywood panels, and you have access.

Noise is a thing here: the sleipner actuators are the closest to silent you can get but are not absolutely silent. There's no bearing noise = SKF spherical bearings with clamp devices that you clamp up to eliminate backlash. You're left with the oil flow noise, but the box in the picture will itself be lagged in sound deadening material to help with that.

There is no absolute-zero noise solution with fins on a boat this small, but this is as close as anyone will get and that will do/will have to do :)

Anyone needing total silence for overnight stabilisation while they're trying to sleep needs a gyro in the e/room. Even then, there is airco noise and slight generator hum (from 4.5litres diesel engine) in the cabin. I'm firm about wanting fins rather than gyros, at least based on the products you can buy today.

Stabiliser-in-VIP-cabin.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Aren't they using transparent lids on sea water intake strainers?
I appreciate they are smaller, but the principle is the same!
Yes for sure, but when you're trying to get a builder (who knows what they are doing so has "strong views") to accept 300 line items of customisation requests, you need to pick your battles and not bother with item #301 :) Pretty sure I can do this retrofit if I feel the need, either a whole panel in 25mm plastic (polycarbonate maybe) or a catalogue marine glazed hatch within SL's solid hatch/lid.

colhel

Visit site
The thing is pretty high, in terms of reaching and also not falling. Pic below shows a finished SL96A at the factory, with a white van for reference, in a normal blocked position with props close to the tarmac. You can't even reach the waterline when standing on the tarmac.

SL96-A-801-with-panel-van.jpg

There's a picture you won't find in any sales brochure!

julians

Visit site
this maybe an odd question, but I'm interested in what kind of warranty you get on a boat like this? I guess I mean all the stuff that sanlorenzo manufacture themselves (hull, super structure, interior ,plumbing , wiring etc ) rather than the stuff they buy from other manufacturer and fit as whole components...

jfm

Visit site
Warranty from Sanlorenzo is 2 years from delivery, and 5 yrs for osmosis. Installed equipment that they fit as whole components comes with its own manufacturer warranty (so if an engine breaks internally then the MTU warranty applies, whereas if an engine is incorrectly fitted the Sanlorenzo warranty applies).

There is a 2 year support promise whereby a technician will get to the boat within 72 hours if it's in a major Mediterranean harbour, for any warranty item that impairs use of the boat.

There is an unwritten understanding that small items should be put onto a list and then the boat will go back to Sanlorenzo's shipyard for a few weeks in its first winter for these repairs (and second winter if required). My home port is only c. 130nm from the shipyard so that's pretty convenient for me.

julians

Visit site
Warranty from Sanlorenzo is 2 years from delivery, and 5 yrs for osmosis. Installed equipment that they fit as whole components comes with its own manufacturer warranty (so if an engine breaks internally then the MTU warranty applies, whereas if an engine is incorrectly fitted the Sanlorenzo warranty applies).

There is a 2 year support promise whereby a technician will get to the boat within 72 hours if it's in a major Mediterranean harbour, for any warranty item that impairs use of the boat.

There is an unwritten understanding that small items should be put onto a list and then the boat will go back to Sanlorenzo's shipyard for a few weeks in its first winter for these repairs (and second winter if required). My home port is only c. 130nm from the shipyard so that's pretty convenient for me.
And I guess that's pretty typical when compared to other manufacturers of similar boats?

Sounds like a pretty typical boat warranty(sounds similar to the warranty on my axopar) except I guess not many give a 72hrs promise to fly someone out and fix.

Bouba

Visit site
And I guess that's pretty typical when compared to other manufacturers of similar boats?

Sounds like a pretty typical boat warranty(sounds similar to the warranty on my axopar) except I guess not many give a 72hrs promise to fly someone out and fix.
Beneteau do....wait no...that’s 72 days to reply and say no...

Portofino

Visit site

Depends on there technical back up .Eg S / Skr at La Napoule have on site teams in a unit nearby with spares etc .
So can via vans get to you within a day .They also prioritise jobs eg toilets that day .
They turned up at 11 pm once to fix ours , although didn’t have to travel far 1 mile .2 hrs of full service done .

Similarly Ferretti vans litter every major CdA marina and beyond sign written with the various brands they support .

It doesn’t just end when the warranty ends , the difference is they invoice you .But the point is it’s easy to access them later .

Another method that seems popular if it’s long range is the dealer allows local authorisation of minor stuff by local marina techs .Obviously under a certain amount and with prior approval. Saves sending some one , both in terms of delay and the dealer s expense.

I used S/Skr again with the Itama as the charger seemingly went .A sub contractor arrived that day with spares on the van .Diagnosed it’s was knackered fitted a spare 100 A and returned a week later to fit the definitive new one , removing the “ spare “ .Told me and i guess this is pretty much the same with SL charter boats , captains expect instant fixes there and then so he carries loadsa stuff , generic parts like chargers etc on the van .
This guy was Italian based in Italy but he was more reliable to CdA Sunseeker than any local Fr boat sparkies .
Runs up and down the whole strip Cannes - Genoa .

Would imagine SL have a pretty good network of fixers .

Having said all this you do hear about long warranty delays and pass the parcel stories with new boats ( neighbours ) .Stuck in port .