New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Evening. Finally found some time to write some updates. I'll make a few posts that all run together, which reduces risk of losing everything if it crashes. First, in this post, I'm posting some picture of Sanlorenzo's Massa facility where they mould the SL96A hull and many others. It's maybe 10km from the main Ameglia factory where all the machinery installation and fit out is done, and superstructure is fitted. This is the same location where the photos above of the hull in the mould were taken.

As reminder both Massa and Ameglia are in Tuscany on Italy's north west coast, just south of La Spezia and about 30 miles north of Pisa. All these pics were taken when I visited in May 2023. The hull travels by road from Massa to Ameglia, in middle of night.

First, below is the factory from the outside,. Massive, and they have a couple of buildings this size here:
Build-012-230508-Massa-lamination-second-stage-shed.jpg

Build-011-230508-Massa-lamination-second-stage-shed-2.jpg

Below are some general shots of the hull, very early in its life with main deck fitted but no superstructure. No engines or machinery yet.
Build-020-230508-Massa-hull-and-deck.jpg

Build-019a-230508-Massa-bow.jpg

Build-019-230508-Massa-bow.jpg

Build-018-230508-Massa-stbd-side-deck-looking-fwd.jpg

You can see in the above shots how Sanlorenzo join the hull and deck invisibly. Along the top of the gunwhale, where many builders make a bonded joint and cover it with a wooden capping rail, Sanlorenzo bond the two parts and later will hand-apply gelcoat and polish it so the joint is invisible and the whole thing looks like it is one moulding. No capping rail, and no stainless steel joining strip that most of the Fair/Prin/Seek type builders use to hide their screwed/bolted joints. I really like this build method, and no-one else does it at this size. Here's a quick video (that also shows this)...

Below shows a bulkhead with part number marked during the CNC cut:
Build-019b-230508-Massa-plywood-marking.jpg

These next few pictures are
(1) the crew staircase void in the galley area (picture should be rotated sorry) showing use of foam sandwich marine play panels, and one of the access panels to the keel tanks (I think that's the grey tank)
(2) the space that will be the garage but for now showing the rudder bay
(3) Starboard VIP cabins showing the stabiliser fin actuator box. You can see the cut/shut lines because this box has been made bigger - the spec is 1.65 sqm curved hydraulic fins, instead of the 1 sqm electric flat fins that are on all other SL96A, because I want a lot of zero speed stabilisation. You can also see in this pic a hole prepped for an underwater light, and the use of divynicell core (vacuum bagged) on the hull sides down to the waterline.
(4) The space that will eventually be the sunken dressing area in the owner's cabin in the bow of the boat. The black "doorway" opening is where a washer/drier combo unit will be installed for owner cabin use only, and the sort of "double window" cutout in the background is a storage locker in the starboard side deck bulwark, near the bow, in which there will also be an engine remote control. The guy's black shoe is roughly under the starboard side pillow of the owner's bed, and the doorway/opening extreme left of picture leads to a storage void under the port side staircase down to the foredeck, which they suggest is good for suitcases.
(5) Transom view

Build-016a-230508-Massa-crew-staircase-void.jpg

Build-017-230508-Massa-garage-and-rudder-bay.jpg

Build-015-230508-Massa-vip-cabin-and-fins-box.jpg

Build-014-230508-Massa-bow-dressing-room.jpg

Build-013-230508-Massa-transom.jpg

This next pic is of the bow thruster. This is an upgraded monster. Sleipner hydraulic, 40cm tunnel (compare tunnel with guy's head), 550kg thrust, 53 horsepower, variable speed. Also I have upgraded PTO pumps on the engines because at full pelt this thruster needs 90 litres/minute at 260 bar. The stern thruster is also upgraded, and is about 2/3 the power/thrust of the bowthruster. There's no sensible way to have an AC electric thrusters on a boat this size, at these power levels.
Build-016-230508-Massa-bowthruster.jpg

I'll break there and continue in another post.

jfm

Visit site
Next, some picture taken not much later, when the boat had been moved to the main Ameglia factory and the engines and gear boxes were craned in. I wasn't there - the factory guys kindly sent me these. The engines are MTU 2000 series in the 2434hp version, V16, and the gearboxes are ZF 3:1 Vee drive. You can also see that the shafts and P brackets are in. This was end of May 2023.

In order the pics below are of:
stbd-shaft-and-P-bracket​
port-gbox​
port-engine​
port-engine again​
port-engine​

Build-029-230520-stbd-shaft-and-P-bracket.jpg

Build-025-230520-Engines-port-gbox.jpg

Build-024-230520-Engines-port-engine-2.jpg

Build-023-230520-Engines-port-engine.jpg

Build-022-230520-Engines-port-engine.jpg

Below is the engine room viewed from the garage - the garage floor and aft deck (= roof of garage) are not fitted yet. Aft of the engines, under the garage floor, is a well accessible space but without full standing headroom (a price paid to have a flat garage floor rather than ski-slope), where they will install the rudders actuators, watermaker, hydraulic packs for thrusters, passerelle and hilo (which I want kept separate), and zillions of pumps.

Build-026-230520-engines-seen-thru-garage.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Moving a bit onto general design, there have been lots of tweaks. In the saloon I have got rid of the two chairs at the port side dining table and specced just two small ottomans, to keep a minimalist look and try not to make it look like a Furniture Village outlet. For the rare times I will dine at this table, the aft deck exterior Cocowolf chairs will be brought inside. The default status for this table on the port side will be lowered to a sort of coffee table height, with flowers or something on it. I also changed the two blue Frag Riviera chairs for Porada chairs (rotating, but with memory of the centre position). And I asked Sanlorenzo to make a custom pair of circular coffee tables, in marble, slatted walnut and bronze, with a storage drawer, which they agreed to do - I went off the rectangular coffee table that is shown in earlier renders - it looked a bit slabby and I think the circular shapes look better. Finally, I added a custom cabinet with marble top at the forward end of the big sofa.

Interior-salon-lkg-stbd-fwd-v6.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-stbd-aft-v6.jpg

Interior-salon-lkg-port-v6.jpg

Not much change in the owner's cabin except I deleted the glazing in the shower (because the framework will get greeby on the wet side, so there is now just a solid wall to your left (aft) as you sit at the desk. Can hang a picture here
Interior-owner-cab-2-v6.jpg

I have made many detailed changes in the kitchen (more storage) but no pictures atm

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Here are updated GAs. They show new saloon furniture detail, plenty of diamond stitching outside on the seating/sunbathing forward, and the helm and co pilot seats, all of which will be in Silvertex "Ice" colour (very slightly off white). The rest of the external upholstery will be cloth. The exact dimensions of the fly dining tables and the way it all converts to a coffee/cocktail table are a bit different. The sink detail and icemaker positions have been changed, and so on. The port side "bed" in the wheelhouse will now be diamond stitched to match the helm chair, in quite a light colour (I'm not doing black in the whole of the pilothouse, even though I get the reasons for black when you're on night passages).

GA-profile-v25.jpg

GA-fly-v25.jpg

GA-main-v25.jpg

GA-lower-v25.jpg

GA-wheelhouse-etc-v25.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Now moving forward a couple of months: the pictures below were taken late July 2023. Again in thr (nicely bright) Ameglia factory. Not much to say about these pics - it's coming on. Superstructure is fitted and internal fit out is progressing.

In the first picture, taken from the patio door entrance to the saloon, you can see the "box" hanging from the ceiling that will be the raised pilothouse. On all boats of this size, the pilothouse is full width at the glazing level but at floor level it needs to be kept narrow/small, as this pic shows.

The aft cockpit deck, the forms the garage roof, is not fitted yet.

Build-041-230725-Salon-looking-fwd.jpg

Build-040-230725-port-hull-side-outside-looking-in.jpg

Build-038-230725-main-staircase-to-lower-deck.jpg

Build-036-230725-transom-and-prop-tunnels.jpg

Build-033-230725-garage-and-aft-deck-looking-fwd.jpg

These next two pictures below show aspects of Sanlorenzo quality, that you don't get with any mainstream builder at this size. First pic is starboard VIP, and second is port guest cabin. Everything is insulated, the floors are removeable panels on an aluminium joist system, and plumbing is perfect. This is uber quality and a joy to see. It explains in part the price premium.
Build-039-230725-starboard-VIP-cabin.jpg

Build-035-230725-Port-guest-cabin.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Be fun to add something to this project 🙂
Would you be so kind as to PM me your current email address Colin? There is a job I wanted to commission from you please, if that's ok. Mostly turning, 4 base/mounting pieces for a piece of art that I've commissioned in Italy, to be mounted on a bulkhead. I need to send you a drawing. No rush.

MapisM

Visit site
Great update J, many thanks. (y)

Just curious, what type of shaft seals did they eventually install?
I half recall that you said you were going for Tides, but I wouldn't have said they are, from the pic.
And what's the shaft dia?

Chris H

Visit site
What an in-site to boat building !

I assumed the boat would come out of the moulds with a finished gel coat, is this applied later, like spraying a car ?

FirstMate II

Visit site
JFM Amazing stuff absolutely and fabulous to see and read . I remember when we bought our last boat you answered some questions that i had that we really appreciated . I think thats why i still keep popping back here to keep up to date with whats happening . For us the boat had to go 2 kids and a house to renovate but with the kids growing we keep thinking its time to dip our toes in again . Booked a trip to port crouesty for lemillesabords at the end of october just for a look at the second hand market . Keep up the good work and posts :) JK