New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
Great update J, many thanks. (y)

Just curious, what type of shaft seals did they eventually install?
I half recall that you said you were going for Tides, but I wouldn't have said they are, from the pic.
And what's the shaft dia?
I don't know MapisM. I think they are Tides, but I'll check when I'm there (in 2 weeks). I'm 100% happy with Tides - they work well in the clean Med. On my last boat, 10 years and 1000 hours, only Tides seal ever wept, in year 8, so I just slid another seal on = 10 minute job. I dont know the shaft dia either - will find out. It will be in the 80-90mm ballpark I guess. Engines develop 6,000 lbft (8,000Nm) torque, 3:1 reduction, = 18,000 lbft/24000 Nm through the shaft.

jfm

Visit site
What an in-site to boat building !

I assumed the boat would come out of the moulds with a finished gel coat, is this applied later, like spraying a car ?
It has always seemed to me Chris that IT builders of semi custom boats have a different attitude to gelcoat, compared with production builders like Fair/Prin/seek. I remember this from visiting the Arno (Leopard) and Arno (Mangusta ) factories years ago with TCM.

The production builders take the gelcoat as it comes out of the mould, shiny, near perfect but with a few ripples, but the IT custom builders seem indifferent about applying gelcoat as a finish coat. So on my hull they have long-board sanded it in many places, and will apply gelcoat to the capping rail top surface after bonding the grp, and ditto in many places. They seem incredibly relaxed about adding gelcoat afterwards, and quickly getting it flat then sanded then polished to a gloss. Obviously the mouldings do have a gelcoat finish, but in the pictures above you can see there is a lot of reworking of it to get the final finish.

jfm

Visit site
Zoomed in to the 50” screen but couldn’t see Match III written anywhere? 😂😂😂
:) It's there if I had scrolled down. Will be called just Match. The "3" thing is just colloquial, to tell the three Matches apart.

Need to work out which registry. Have previously used UK, but think will do Jersey or Cayman this time. I have the name reserved. It's a complicated (very nerdy) choice :/

MapisM

Visit site
It will be in the 80-90mm ballpark I guess. Engines develop 6,000 lbft (8,000Nm) torque, 3:1 reduction, = 18,000 lbft/24000 Nm through the shaft.
My money is on 90 rather than 80, if not even more - unless they are using some ultra-high performance steel.
BTW, I once debated shafts sizing with a technical manager of Radice, and he told me that all they ask a boatbuilder for determining the minimum recommended shaft diameter is the installed engine power, regardless of torque and rotation speed.
Don't ask me why, also because a ZF engineer told me exactly the opposite for the sizing of their gearboxes...! :unsure:

EricJ

Visit site
It looks amazing, thanks for sharing the pics and the progress on the build. Also the interior looks very very nice. 👍👍
Question on the hull shape aft; are these tunnels specific to V-drives to compensate for perhaps the angle of the shaft in this configuration Vs straight shafts?

SC35

Visit site
:) It's there if I had scrolled down. Will be called just Match. The "3" thing is just colloquial, to tell the three Matches apart.

Need to work out which registry. Have previously used UK, but think will do Jersey or Cayman this time. I have the name reserved. It's a complicated (very nerdy) choice :/

Apologies if this has been covered before, but will you be getting the qualifications to helm such a beast, or will it be a professional skipper all the time?

jfm

Visit site
Apologies if this has been covered before, but will you be getting the qualifications to helm such a beast, or will it be a professional skipper all the time?
No special qualifications needed. If you can drive a 50 footer you can legally drive this. It’s 29m / 96ft which according to the odd rules of measurement comes out at under 24m LLL and Lh, so no special licence is required. . There are several boats serving this exact market ie as big as possible but under 24m: Sunseeker 96&100, Princess x/y95, pearl 95, Riva Argo, ferretti 920 & 1000 , etc.

So while I will have crew, I won’t have a hired captain.

And I agree wholeheartedly with hurricane :)

SC35

Visit site
No special qualifications needed. If you can drive a 50 footer you can legally drive this. It’s 29m / 96ft which according to the odd rules of measurement comes out at under 24m LLL and Lh, so no special licence is required. . There are several boats serving this exact market ie as big as possible but under 24m: Sunseeker 96&100, Princess x/y95, pearl 95, Riva Argo, ferretti 920 & 1000 , etc.
so while I will have crew, I won’t have a hired captain.

Thanks for confirming, it sounds like it's on the upper limit for "what you can helm yourself without STCW etc".

jfm

Visit site
It looks amazing, thanks for sharing the pics and the progress on the build. Also the interior looks very very nice. 👍👍
Question on the hull shape aft; are these tunnels specific to V-drives to compensate for perhaps the angle of the shaft in this configuration Vs straight shafts?
The tunnels seem similar to what you’d have on a non vee gearbox. The vee boxes mostly keep the engines aft but probably also contribute to a slightly lower shaft angle, which might demand deeper tunnels. Not sure, but no bad thing if true.

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for confirming, it sounds like it's on the upper limit for "what you can helm yourself without STCW etc".
It’s deliberately right on that limit. Next one up is sanlorenzo 106, which I’d love to have bought, but it’s over 24m so needs a 200ton licence and minimum crew regulations apply. They have designed the 106 to be exactly 200t, and any bigger needs I think a 500t licence which is a non starter. Most of us here could get 200t or 500t - a walk in the park compared to our day jobs - but few of us including me would have the time.
Tons here is gross tons, ie enclosed volume not weight by the way.

MrB

Visit site
Well that write-up didn't disappoint, the boat's feckin huge lol. Thanks for taking the time with the update, fascinating stuff. :cool:(y)

Alicatt

Visit site
In jfm boots, I'd see it exactly the other way round.
I wouldn't want anyone else to drive it unless under my supervision!
So you think jfm would let you supervise his new Sanlorenzo? (y)

Great thread on the building of a new boat, the other one I'm following is the youtube channel Nauti Guys having a Bering 75 built for them, it's not my cup of tea, I find the style of it very jarring to my eyes, it is a completely different type of boat/ explorer yacht and built in steel and aluminium.

alt

Visit site
If that's how my previous sentence comes across, my English is worse than I thought.
Since the premise was "In jfm boots...", I assumed it's clear that by "my supervision" I actually meant jfm supervision... :unsure:
Don't worry about the loss in translation, i'm guessing Alicatt was just pulling your leg ie. bit of humor :)

jfm

Visit site
Don't worry about the loss in translation, i'm guessing Alicatt was just pulling your leg ie. bit of humor :)
Yep, your EN was perfect in that situation MapisM. Alicatt was pulling your leg, by using the comedy device of "over literalising" your sentence :)

jfm

Visit site
So you think jfm would let you supervise his new Sanlorenzo? (y)

Great thread on the building of a new boat, the other one I'm following is the youtube channel Nauti Guys having a Bering 75 built for them, it's not my cup of tea, I find the style of it very jarring to my eyes, it is a completely different type of boat/ explorer yacht and built in steel and aluminium.
I've been following that one a bit as well Alicatt. I find it getting a bit tedious now as they make more and more episodes about rather little progress. Not my personal cup of tea as a boat design, but that's an individual choice obvs. However, that builder (Turkish, low price) is very much not my cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see it take shape perhaps by watch every 3rd episode. What I can't get my head around is that they want to offer it as a charter boat, while they keep a premium cabin. How is that going to work? Who will pay the going rate for chartering a $6m 75 foot boat but be denied access to 3/4 of the upper deck? Not me for sure, unless they charge a 60 footer charter fee :)

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
that builder (Turkish, low price) is very much not my cup of tea.
AFAIK, on top of building in Turkey, the yard is also owned and managed by Russians.
Which makes them as far from my cup of tea as a boatyard can possibly be!
BTW, having seen one of their boats in flesh, I'd steer clear of them regardless of who builds them and where! (n)
And that's from someone who really loves steel trawlers, to the point of almost buying one, many years ago.

Oh, and thanks to both you and alt for the language clarification.
Good to know that my EN is still OK, if possibly not enough to grasp immediately all subtleties... :giggle: