New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Bouba

Visit site
Plinth under the winch 😁
Thank you...
Just to add to the confusion...the pictures in #290 and #299 don’t match (according to my eyes)...in #290 there is a teak plinth under all three items of deck hardware

Portofino

Visit site

Is that real teak or a sheet of plastic curved at the corner ? What ever it is it looks naff inho .Whole thing looks wrong compared to the pic JFM posted .

There is a visible gap between the cleat base nearest the transom and the surface .That’s what a teak plinth like the winch is mounted should mask , any fitting disparity = which it does .

Portofino

Visit site
BTW while on cleat mountings does anyone else do this …….on a hot day use auto car parts “ seek n seal “ squirted carefully around the bases ? Wiped up neat .
Reason thermal expansion + other obvious stress movements opens potentially a gap .Tiny as it is it a source of water ingress into the topsides or what ever .

I won’t bother posting a pic as it attracts derision ….use your imagination.

Bouba

Visit site
Another possibility is that there isn’t enough depth to the molding that the winch sits on...so in order for it to have some clearance for the motor below it has to be raided by an inch or so

jfm

Visit site
Surprising on an SL when JFM says their fit and finish is normally up to a standard that gets him to break out a superlative.
Indeed Elessar. As you'll see in due course no doubt, the fit/finish on SL96A is drop dead amazingly perfect (I've been on board 4 of the 20 they have built). A noticeable step up from the mass producers like Fair/Prin/Seek et al . The Dusseldorf boat was not good imho and not up to standard.

jfm

Visit site
As Greg says the wood pad will absorb and pressure differences from the flat ness or un flat ness of the two fitting surfaces .Particularly the teak top of the plinth .There’s an extra 10 mm of kinda compressible base circumference structurally every bit helps I guess .
Makes perfect sense to me to do it this way .
I don't buy any of that engineeringly. The last thing I want in a joint like that is a spongy component whose properties change over time. I expect the tension in the bolts will reduce over time, as the teak settles, urgh. You absolutely want lots of tension in those bolts - they should be loaded only in tension not in shear. The shear loads from tight mooring lines should be taken by friction between the cleat and the boat, not shear in the bolt, and the bolt tension is what creates that friction.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Is that real teak or a sheet of plastic curved at the corner ? What ever it is it looks naff inho .Whole thing looks wrong compared to the pic JFM posted .

There is a visible gap between the cleat base nearest the transom and the surface .That’s what a teak plinth like the winch is mounted should mask , any fitting disparity = which it does .
Real teak. Easy to bend like that in a good woodworking shop. I agree with you that it doesn't look great.
Ref your 2nd para, there is no gap. There's perhaps a radius on bottom edge of cleat but there's no gap.

Portofino

Visit site
I don't buy any of that engineeringly. The last thing I want in a joint like that is a spongy component whose properties change over time. I expect the tension in the bolts will reduce over time, as the teak settles, urgh. you absolutely want lots of tension in those bolts - they should be loaded only in tension not in shear. The shear loads should be dealt with by friction between the cleat and the boat, and the bolt tension is what creates that friction.
Simply request SL delete those pads if if bothers you .You will see them every time you walk past now they are in the psychi :) .

Personally I like them looks extra quality over fair / prin / Skr + FG stuff .

billskip

Visit site
Nah, I don't buy that :)
I'm guessing it's for cleaning and polishing of the winch and cleats, to prevent/make easy cleaning the bottom areas, preventing the cleaning chemicals staining the area. Sacrificial pads....maybe...

roa312

Visit site
Lots to say, so i need to summarise heavily...

Basic spec was "right on the limit for an owner driver", so about 95-98 feet.
Max LOA ~29m, to fit on the berth I want in Antibes. I don't want to be berthed in the location where the next size up (34m) berths are located.

Thank you very much for the detailed write-up on your thought process! It's very interesting to read about your considerations on all those matters that us internet-observers would never know about. You mention that the RPH was a key requirement and I wanted to ask why that is. I understand from the layouts that it provides a lot more room for an owners/VIP cabin on the main deck, but it seems like it comes at a price of less flybridge space - and maybe less bow seating too? I'm curious since I would have thought that you wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the wheelhouse as an owner operator (if not to get away from the many guests!) but of course I understand that the extra main deck space is also valuable.

From looking at videos online, I notice that the 4 forward facing seats on the flybridge seems to be raised from the main floor level. This is a pet peeve of mine in sports cruisers because it limits the forward facing view out from the seating further aft. I notice from the layouts of your boat that there's a seating area just behind the helm seats on the flybridge but do you think the view out from here is significantly reduced because of the raised floor? I have never been onboard anything close to this type of boat so I may be entirely wrong about the significance of that. Off-topic rant: I was so disappointed to see that the new Sunseeker Superhawk 55 had taken the raised helm-seating floor level to the extreme where only the 3 forward facing helm seats have a good view forward and to the sides. All other seats are separated from the helm and essentially only have a view aft of the rooster tail. I laughed when I saw the official sea trial footage where everyone except those seated at the helm were all standing up besides the helm seats to see forward.

You mentioned that your plan is to have a Williams/Novurania + Seadoo + (potentially) the laser, but can you store all of that in the garage + bathing platform or do you intend to install a crane on the flybridge? Also, are you having a video made to follow the build process similar to the Chrisco video below (surely this must be worth it come resale time :LOL:)?. I realise this is probably enough questions for now so I will save the rest for when you are further along in the build!

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Chrisco is a stunningly beautiful boat (built by CNB) - I have been on board her and given a thorough tour, a couple of years after she was launched, Fantastic spec - those stanchions in the still picture above are made from titanium to save weight.

RPH is just something I like. No great logic, just a nice "guy's toy feature". It frees up main deck space nicely and I don't think it eats up a ton of flybridge space, or at least there is plenty left. It doesn't have to eat up foredeck seating (eg see Pearl 95) but to get that outcome you must make other compromises, so yes I'll have only a U shape bow seating area not full surround sound seating, plus a big sunbed. I'm ok with that. I will hardly use the interior helm but it will be a technical office for controlling some boat systems and on long delivery trips I quite like the idea of chilling in there away from crowds. By the way you might spot in the GA that it has a custom butterfly-wing "serving hatch" to the galley, starboard side, so I can keep in touch with crew there and have cups of tea/biscuits passed up :)

Actually that's not the main reason for that hatch: it is really there to allow food/dirty plates to be passed between crew person in galley and crew person serving the flybridge dining table, to make the whole process fast because the table server only has to walk up/down half a flight of steps. One of the problems when serving 10 lunches outside in a breeze, 2 plates at a time as you must do on a boat, is that diners 1+2 have cold food by the time 9+10 have got their food, unless you make things fast. The long tortuous route from galley to table in Sunseeker 95, for example, is a big fail and the designers/salesmen sitting in Poole have no clue what mistake they have made because they haven't lived on these boats. I think my galley-table time will be the fasts of any boat in this class.

Flybridge helm zone - yes 4x forward facing seats, raised on plinths, and on my boat the starboard pair will be electric up/down individual seats. I hear what you say but it really doesn't work like that on this size boat: invariably people don't much care about the view forward in a tub like this plodding at say 19 knots not hurtling like a sports car. The view in summer is 360 degrees and in practice a lot of people hang out on the flybridge underway with zero eagerness for a forward view. People lounge around chatting, looking sideways and aft as much as forward. Plus on this boat there is a sofa in the bow for forward viewers/sunbathers, very connected to the flybridge by the side gate and direct walkway port side. So my ten years running the Sq78s tells me that the thing you're worried about is any kind of a problem. I can see that it might be on Superhawk 55.

No I can't store all those toys at once, and I don't have a flybridge crane other than a carbon Atlas baby davit but that won't haul jetskis. However I have a cunning plan that I'll illustrate in a later post when I explain the chase boat. Basically I have bought the berth alongside mine, so I have 2 berths, and my brother owns the next one along so we have three berths together, and the second/middle berth will be home to the chase boat (shared with my brother) on a floating dock that will also have space for other smaller boats/jetski. So each morning I can choose what toys are required for that day and swap them around. When on a trip away from home berth I can take the jet tender and a jet ski, or the Novurania plus jet ski, plus in either case paddle boards, all in the garage or swim platform so not "cluttering" anywhere else, but not a sailing boat unless I haul it up to the fly using the Atlas davit which I think I'll rarely do because I want the flybridge clear of toys. I can take the sailboat in the garage if I leave the jet ski behind, and if I put the sailboat on the flybridge a lot I'll swap the Laser for an RS Aero which is a fun boat and incredibly light. hence easy to put on the flybridge (35 kilos for the hull, IIRC). So, basically, I'll see how it plays out.

Not doing a video - lots of permission would be needed and to be honest I can't be bothered. It would be nice, but I'm spending enough time on details of this project as it is. Multiple emails each week with factory or other suppliers. Multiple emails/calls this week re-designing the coffee table in the salon (circles, instead of rectangle shape shown in renders), and commissioning a piece of art from an Italian artist in Venice via his gallery in Geneva, for example. I nipped over to Geneva last Saturday for the day to see his art 🤦‍♂️:)

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The Swift Trawler 50 used to have a dumb waiter...I know the comparison between boats isn’t realistic..but a dumb waiter could ensure all your food arrives at once hot...and the dishes go back down easily

jfm

Visit site
Yup plenty of boats use them. I hate them - staircases much quicker. Dumb waiter costs time due to lack of coordination because the two people either end can’t talk. Flybridge person waits for the thing to return to load more dirty plates, while galley person hasn’t finished unload or hasn’t noticed previous load has arrived. And all the noise of dirty plates being stacked in it. No way will hot food arrive at once- they fit 2 plates not 10.
If in the standard spec I would de-spec :) :)

Portofino

Visit site
I don't buy any of that engineeringly. The last thing I want in a joint like that is a spongy component whose properties change over time. I expect the tension in the bolts will reduce over time, as the teak settles, urgh. You absolutely want lots of tension in those bolts - they should be loaded only in tension not in shear. The shear loads from tight mooring lines should be taken by friction between the cleat and the boat, not shear in the bolt, and the bolt tension is what creates that friction.
Exactly .It won’t be a typical soft teak that compressors like normal deck stuff .It will be a bigger pad area of some steel like hard wood .There are some hard woods out there that almost break drill bits very dense stuff ,tricky to even saw .No sponginess to see here .

Think the principal of normal washers used in bolting up .Aside there will be a backing plate underneath normally aluminium . So this is a additional surface area increase thingy on the top surface .

Your compressive dismissal does not account for the grp + it’s core+ reinforcement if any .All of which will dimensionally alter with temp fluctuations and as you say time .

It’s a good way of maxing up the SA and being reasonably aesthetic .It ain’t gonna compress , loosen out the bolts no more than any other of the materials between the blots on the underside of the cleats + nuts securing .

Aesthetically of course it’s subjective.It ain’t there only for this though.

As far as failure it ain’t anything to do with or very rare the bolts , it’s the material the thing s attached to .Ie a huge dinner plate of grp or what ever rips out taking decking .Not a couple of bolt fractures leaving clean holes as you infer .

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Exactly .It won’t be a typical soft teak that compressors like normal deck stuff .It will be a bigger pad area of some steel like hard wood .There are some hard woods out there that almost break drill bits very dense stuff ,tricky to even saw .No sponginess to see here .

Think the principal of normal washers used in bolting up .Aside there will be a backing plate underneath normally aluminium . So this is a additional surface area increase thingy on the top surface .

Your compressive dismissal does not account for the grp + it’s core+ reinforcement if any .All of which will dimensionally alter with temp fluctuations and as you say time .

It’s a good way of maxing up the SA and being reasonably aesthetic .It ain’t gonna compress , loosen out the bolts no more than any other of the materials between the blots on the underside of the cleats + nuts securing .

Aesthetically of course it’s subjective.It ain’t there only for this though.

As far as failure it ain’t anything to do with or very rare the bolts , it’s the material the thing s attached to .Ie a huge dinner plate of grp or what ever rips out taking decking .Not a couple of bolt fractures leaving clean holes as you infer .
It’s a good job you aren’t practising as a mechanical engineer :)

colhel

Visit site

Think the principal of normal washers used in bolting up .Aside there will be a backing plate underneath normally aluminium . So this is a additional surface area increase thingy on the top surface

As this backing plate is hardly any bigger in diameter than the base of the winch, I can't see any benefits. I can see a benefit of a backing plate hidden underneath where the bolts come through, which is normal, but not on top.
If the bolts are sufficiently tightened you're not going to get any movement which could cause crushing.