New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

jfm

Visit site
That’s an incredible looking RIB.
I’m perpetually amazed at how much things cost in boat world and ribs are no exception, however it’s very in keeping with the mother ship. Would you normally tow a chase boat? (Zero exposure to this world!).
For short trips a crew member or mate would drive the chase boat, and for longer trips it would be towed or not taken at all (it's far from essential!)

jfm

Visit site
For towing are you going to pull her by the Samson post, or use a bridle, or tow alongside ?
Towing forces are too big for a samson post. For a proper trip, the tow rope needs to be attached to a dyneema bridle, attached to three tow points on the hull. One on the stem, and one either side on the hull, about a metre back from the stem. The RIB will transmit AIS and be visible in a rear-view camera, so the towboat will know its status.

jfm

Visit site
Limited indeed, in my opinion with only single engine control you are really missing the most important feature of joystick piloting which is the ability to truly move the boat in any direction as this can only be achieved with either multiple independently steered engines or a system which incorporates bow thruster control in a single engine setup. I have seen joystick systems which do incorporate bow thruster control so I'm surprised Yamaha haven't got there yet.

I'm still amazed at how good joystick piloting is on multi engine boats, it must be the single biggest advancement in vessel manoeuvrability since the bow thruster was invented. It can make tricky berthing even by completely unskilled people look easy and in some situations it gives you a level of control not even possible without such a system as you obviously can't steer outboards independently with a traditional helm. Plus the extra convenience features like side push and dynamic positioning make things so effortless.

Just out of interest why did you choose to go with the single 300 instead of twin 150 or something? Apologies if you've already covered this, I haven't read the whole thread
Yup all agreed. But I can live with the single engine limitations - it's only a chase boat.

As for twin versus single engines, I just prefer single. Less hassle, better access to the swim ladder. I get the advantages/disadvantages, but I want a minimum hassle solution with easy swimming access to the sea.

I don't buy into any reliability arguments on single/twin - with this modern stuff the reliability just isn't an issue any more, and with this boat there will be a mother ship with tender close by. Furthermore this boat will be lucky to see 50 hours/year. It will live on a floating dock so the engine will be stored dry.

jfm

Visit site
Looks fantastic I do like Ribeye's - Some throw away thoughts: I can see the aft facing diagonal support just below the Canopy/Bimini being used as a grab rail, so assume it will be significantly robust! A stanchion either side running down towards the stern would significantly strengthen it, but may spoil the look. I agree one engine makes perfect sense, perhaps adding a fitting for a Torqeedo or similar as a backup for emergency use, just to get back to base - expect you could cobble that together to use a common battery....
Yes the bimini frame/T-Top is surprisingly robust and will be ok imho. Stanchions at the aft corners would be too ugly imho. Ribeye have installed dozens of these T tops without any problems.

I'm not going to bother with a back up engine. New Yamaha stuff is incredibly reliable, and this boat will generally be in the company of a mother ship that has another tender on board, so breakdowns are unlikely/rescues are easy.

jfm

Visit site
Swings and roundabouts: my preference would have been to helm on the RHS and not to have my throttle arm waggling around in front of the passenger, but I'm not sure how that could be achieved with that dash layout. Probably less of an issue if you are driving LHD cars on a regular basis anyway.

Looks fab otherwise.
Each to their own. I like the throttle in the middle, because on a boat like this lots of friends and kids want to "have a go", so I can stand alongside them and override any bad throttle decisions they might make. And a I want right hand throttle when driving, so that dictates a port side steering wheel. But it's a free choice any customer can make when ordering the boat and as a very rough guess Ribeye seem to build these consoles 50/50 with port/starboard steering wheels.

jfm

Visit site
Haha she has her priorities right Hurricane :) Hope you're having a nice time in Spain.

The table stows in a sort of big "laptop-case", in a locker, and deploys when needed, using a leg that plugs into deck sockets in the stern or the bow.

Ribeye-table.jpg

z1ppy

Visit site
The whole project looks amazing John, attention to detail as expected is astonishing! love seeing this come together.

I maybe way off the mark but didn't Ribeye buy the old Revenger moulds and rights with them, using them for the larger Prime range?

Great to hear that the traditional cottage industry Rib business is stepping up and great that its a British company leading the way in customer service, hopefully they can push this out with the XO range of boats also.

jfm

Visit site
Thanks H. I don't know for sure but I can't see any similarities between the 8-9m Revenger hull/deck mouldings and the Ribeye Prime 8-21 and 9-41 mouldings, so I somewhat doubt it tbh, but happy to stand corrected if anyone knows more.

Yup I have nothing but praise for the Ribeye team. Really nice crowd, and they keep in touch with quick emails on technical aspects of the build and send me pictures. Pity Dartmouth is such a long way for me otherwise I'd drop by more often to take a look.

I'll post some build pics soon...

Elessar

Visit site
Yup all agreed. But I can live with the single engine limitations - it's only a chase boat.

As for twin versus single engines, I just prefer single. Less hassle, better access to the swim ladder. I get the advantages/disadvantages, but I want a minimum hassle solution with easy swimming access to the sea.

I don't buy into any reliability arguments on single/twin - with this modern stuff the reliability just isn't an issue any more, and with this boat there will be a mother ship with tender close by. Furthermore this boat will be lucky to see 50 hours/year. It will live on a floating dock so the engine will be stored dry.
Totally agree. Single beats twin up to about 35ft except for race boats. Even when shaft driven (as long as you fit stern thruster)
Serviceability, accessibility, simplicity - cost too but I doubt that's your prime motivator. The reliability argument doesn't stack.
I've done plenty of cross channel and 200+ mile trips single engined.

Elessar

Visit site
Thanks H. I don't know for sure but I can't see any similarities between the 8-9m Revenger hull/deck mouldings and the Ribeye Prime 8-21 and 9-41 mouldings, so I somewhat doubt it tbh, but happy to stand corrected if anyone knows more.

Yup I have nothing but praise for the Ribeye team. Really nice crowd, and they keep in touch with quick emails on technical aspects of the build and send me pictures. Pity Dartmouth is such a long way for me otherwise I'd drop by more often to take a look.

I'll post some build pics soon...
It's only about 75 miles if you had a decent RIB.......

Parabolica

Visit site
The whole project looks amazing John, attention to detail as expected is astonishing! love seeing this come together.

I maybe way off the mark but didn't Ribeye buy the old Revenger moulds and rights with them, using them for the larger Prime range?

Great to hear that the traditional cottage industry Rib business is stepping up and great that its a British company leading the way in customer service, hopefully they can push this out with the XO range of boats also.

I can definitely state for a fact that Ribeye 100% generate their own designs and have their own unique tooling now days. Nothing shared except for the XO boats range of course. What they used when they first got going though, I don't know.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Nice bucket Mr G, and I dont like anything about Parabolica's picture :)eek:, but as Bouba says there is a lift up door on front face of console. It's surprisingly ok size-wise in there, and the WC is set down below deck level.

Here's a pic grabbed off the net. Ours will be a bit tidier - won't have those battery switches etc. Not expecting this loo to be used a lot but it's there just in case, mainly for women, as in, I don't think any guys will be told it even exists :)
Ribeye-WC.jpg