Neel trimaran failure

veshengro

Visit site
I would think it only a matter of time at sea before something structural gave way. That Tri must have been shifting and working like an old wooden boat, even in a moderate sea.

MikeBz

Visit site
How could you gain faith in the integrity of the design and construction just by laminating over the cracks? If the design/engineering/build got that part so wrong what does it say about the rest of it.

geem

Visit site
How could you gain faith in the integrity of the design and construction just by laminating over the cracks? If the design/engineering/build got that part so wrong what does it say about the rest of it.
I helped a guy with a Neel go up the mast. He needed winching up. Everything was super flimsy. I was really not impressed. I know they need to be light but they don't feel well engineered. This video simply reveals the truth.

NewForester

Visit site
I had been following Neel/Leen with some interest and wondered if there might be something in the Trimaran concept.

If what this german chap says is true, then how disappointing of the yard not to have had the integrity to speak up and take action to address the problem. I know that we have only heard one side but Neel yachts are billed as blue water and so if the yard knew that there were customers sailing across oceans with these problems, then that is unforgivable.

It just shows how important it is to choose a yard with real experience and a reputation to defend.

fredrussell

Visit site
I have always assumed that ALL fibreglass boats had laminated ‘joins’ and/or fasteners wherever a join was required. Is it now common for just an adhesive to be used?

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
It is commonplace in the motor industry to use flexible adhesives to join, or help join, panels together and most will be familiar with the stuff used to hold car windscreens in place; Windscreens are not known for falling out nowadays... Also AIUI some titanium panels on aircraft are glued.

But there is a lot more to it than just squirting something into the joint if you want it to do something structural. The gap has to be set correctly, the adhesives properties matched to the expected stresses and strains, and the correct environmental conditions maintained during application and curing.

A class action might be the best way of approaching this, given the manufacturer's reticence. Assuming that they have product liability insurance that is, because otherwise they may just declare bankruptcy...

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
It is commonplace in the motor industry to use flexible adhesives to join, or help join, panels together and most will be familiar with the stuff used to hold car windscreens in place; Windscreens are not known for falling out nowadays... Also AIUI some titanium panels on aircraft are glued.

But there is a lot more to it than just squirting something into the joint if you want it to do something structural. The gap has to be set correctly, the adhesives properties matched to the expected stresses and strains, and the correct environmental conditions maintained during application and curing.

A class action might be the best way of approaching this, given the manufacturer's reticence. Assuming that they have product liability insurance that is, because otherwise they may just declare bankruptcy...
Interesting .
I know nothing about modern multihull construction but I'm guessing that they might flex a bit more than mono's. Wondering how other multihulls that don't have these issues are constructed.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I had been following Neel/Leen with some interest and wondered if there might be something in the Trimaran concept.

If what this german chap says is true, then how disappointing of the yard not to have had the integrity to speak up and take action to address the problem. I know that we have only heard one side but Neel yachts are billed as blue water and so if the yard knew that there were customers sailing across oceans with these problems, then that is unforgivable.

It just shows how important it is to choose a yard with real experience and a reputation to defend.

I am a prudent chap. My last two boats have encapsulated long keels, heavy traditional build and a keel stepped mast. Thirty five year old ones are undergoing complete refurbishment and upgrades in their country of origin. Because their inherent quality and strength makes this a goer.

I fully understand the lightness/speed issue some boats have for superb perfomance. I have used that philosophy during my motorbike racing days.

Building leading edge stuff comes with responibilities.

Those responsibilities are easy to be compromised, leaving owners in the deep and smelly-or worse!

As it appears in this situation.