Navionics app on a tablet, and integrating AIS targets

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I am thinking about an android tablet to run Navionics, and specifically an AIS receiver to input targets over Wi-Fi.

I have an18yr old Cobra plotter with Cmax NT+ which I am still really happy with, and a little Nasa AIS/radar stand alone, which is good for it’s age, but a bit faffy mentally calculating (guessing) which ferry, pilot boat or oil tanker is going to run me down first.

A couple of years ago I was on a charter boat with an integrated MFD showing a plotter with an AIS feed in. I didn’t pay any attention to the brand etc, but I really liked the way the AIS targets (Darts if I remember right) changed colour if there was a risk of collision, just bearing off a degree or 2 at a mile or 2 distance and the system knew pretty much straight away.

If I get the Navionics app on a tablet and connect it via Wi-Fi to an AIS rx, does the Navionics app have this kind of AIS EBL or other kind of collision warning?

If not I won’t bother spending the £220 or so for a tablet and AIS Wi-Fi engine, and just stick with what I have.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I'm not sure when navionics app started putting Ais onto the chart display, but you did need an active navionics subscription ie annually 30 odd quid, not just a one year subscription and download the charts. I subscribe and the AIS is good.

Dellquay13

Visit site
I'm not sure when navionics app started putting Ais onto the chart display, but you did need an active navionics subscription ie annually 30 odd quid, not just a one year subscription and download the charts. I subscribe and the AIS is good.
Looks like it started in 2019 from their website. The annual uk sub is £39.99. Whether I would pay every year is undecided, as long as the AIS interface keeps working.
As for updating charts, UKHO themselves don’t come around my area resurveying too often, I guess steep to rocky coasts don’t change much from one century to the next.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I have the AIS working on my Android tablet (10" car stereo) as well as the d3pth data.
The only issue I have with it is the the green and red targets are exactly the same green and red as navigation bouys and in the clutter of a busy harbour it can be a bit difficult to tell them apart....

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Looks like it started in 2019 from their website. The annual uk sub is £39.99. Whether I would pay every year is undecided, as long as the AIS interface keeps working.
As for updating charts, UKHO themselves don’t come around my area resurveying too often, I guess steep to rocky coasts don’t change much from one century to the next.
That's my question. Does the AIS functionality continue to work without a current navionics subsciption? I suspect not but don't want to be definitive on it.

Dellquay13

Visit site
That's my question. Does the AIS functionality continue to work without a current navionics subsciption? I suspect not but don't want to be definitive on it.
The app is getting the AIS data via local Wi-Fi generated by the AIS receiver, would it need a continued sub to keep it reading the data? it’s not coming in via the app and mobile data.
Paying for an annual sub in return for a really useful traffic feature when I’m based in a crowded energy port wouldn’t be too onerous

Refueler

Visit site
Considering that the charts and their all functions except updates continue to work after sub runs out - why would AIS overlay not work ?

I have expired Sd card in my main plotter - AIS and all work as normal - but similar to the sub expiring - updates do not register.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
The app is getting the AIS data via local Wi-Fi generated by the AIS receiver, would it need a continued sub to keep it reading the data? it’s not coming in via the app and mobile data.
Paying for an annual sub in return for a really useful traffic feature when I’m based in a crowded energy port wouldn’t be too onerous
Indeed the question. But if you connect your phone or tablet to mobile data when you are away from the boat at some point surely the navionics app will work out the date and withdraw its AIS co-operation. I didn't want to find out so go for the annual renewal. They did make a big deal of the AIS being part of the active subscription part.

Refueler

Visit site
Indeed the question. But if you connect your phone or tablet to mobile data when you are away from the boat at some point surely the navionics app will work out the date and withdraw its AIS co-operation. I didn't want to find out so go for the annual renewal. They did make a big deal of the AIS being part of the active subscription part.

The online blurb about the APP is in my mind misleadingly vague .... designed to fool people into continuing the subs....

I would be very surprised if AIS integration stops with the sub ...

Dellquay13

Visit site
If the App wanted to switch off some features upon expiry of subscription, it would be easy to programme, it would just need to store the date of renewal every time a subscription is made. The App knows the exact time and date every time it is used from the gps time code and could switch off functions on passing the last stored renewal date whether connected to mobile internet data or not.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Thank you, I’ll just keep paying then.
Just to add to the AIS issue...I fitted a Quark receive AIS a few years back. I get the impression that transceivers for AIS are less expensive now so might be worth considering. In the busy Solent I get by quite happily knowing which big boats are moving, but turn the collision alarm off. But for longer passages I think an AIS transceiver would be nice to have.

Refueler

Visit site
The AIS feature is disabled unless you have an active subscription.

Just to be sure ....

Please detail the evidence for that statement .... not the vague Garmin Online blurb which already has been shown on another thread to be misleading - it was claimed based on Garmin's Online wording that the Charts stopped working if sub ran out ... which is total b******s ...

escapism

Visit site
Just to be sure ....

Please detail the evidence for that statement .... not the vague Garmin Online blurb which already has been shown on another thread to be misleading - it was claimed based on Garmin's Online wording that the Charts stopped working if sub ran out ... which is total b******s ...
So just to be really clear: the AIS feature only works on a tablet or phone with an active subscription. A subscription allows 2 devices.