Navionics app on a tablet, and integrating AIS targets

Refueler

Visit site
So just to be really clear: the AIS feature only works on a tablet or phone with an active subscription. A subscription allows 2 devices.

Do you know that from actual personal experience or just saying it based on what ?

I know that certain overlays which need to be synched via internet cannot be displayed once sub runs out .. but AIS is not using internet .....

Supertramp

Visit site
I use AIS on my Navionics tablet, with a subscription. Useful on passage but not so good near lots of other boats as all the close CPA's make alarms go off in tandem with my main unit downstairs and clutter up the display. But worth having.

I have the AIS display and a plotter inside (visible from outside) but use the tablet on deck where I can move it wherever I want.

AIS is very useful on long passages, at night and in poor visibility. It also lets those at home see where you are. Not a fan of electronics but AIS is worth having.

Geoff Wode

Visit site
I’ve got an iPad Pro (boo, hiss) with a cheap monthly sim (Smarty). I use Boat Beacon for AIS. It overlays on to Navionics nicely and seems a reasonable solution for not much outlay.

The limitation is: no mobile data coverage = no AIS.

Refueler

Visit site
Do you know that from actual personal experience or just saying it based on what ?

I know that certain overlays which need to be synched via internet cannot be displayed once sub runs out .. but AIS is not using internet .....

I'm not meaning to be rude about this - but the answer is important ....

There are people here who are going to spend money based on the answer ... its not just a matter of who's right or wrong.

I pay my Sub because the system IMHO is good and in many ways better than the Card based plotter - where its significantly more expensive ...

Unfortunately I do not know anyone with an expired sub to ask ... otherwise I would sit them on my boat and WiFi the AIS into their tablet and get the answer ...

Crossed my mind that I might be able to try installing a non sub onto another spare phone I have ... see what happens on the base map ... but then again - would need to wait till the 'free period' expires.

Refueler

Visit site
OK ...

I took my spare phone and installed a 'non sub' of the app .... basically just installed with a different ID and PW. It picked up surprisingly my current Baltic Maps and displayed fully - BUT stated across top title bar - Navionics+ - Expired.

OK - so we have a chart set that is 'expired' - my other Tab and Phone are still updating fine .. PHEW !!

I went to the AIS menu and tried to enable the AIS ... a box came up inviting Navionics + subscription. It then went on to say - Connect to AIS data and display. But I am at home and will check this later when I get to boat ...

So far until I confirm on board - it does appear that expired Sub may stop AIS overlay.

Once I confirm on board - is that not better than just posting without actually testing ???

Ooooh ... but I now have a spare back up chart set !!

chris-s

Visit site
Just to be sure ....

Please detail the evidence for that statement .... not the vague Garmin Online blurb which already has been shown on another thread to be misleading - it was claimed based on Garmin's Online wording that the Charts stopped working if sub ran out ... which is total b******s ...
Like I said, you need a subscription to activate the ais overlay. Simple as that.

Refueler

Visit site
OK ... went to boat ... braved the biting cold wind for you guys !!

AIS had varying 13 to 16 targets .... Garmin UHD 92sv showed ... Android Tablet with subscribed app showed .... Samsung phone with same sub showed ... Samsung with non subscribed did not show AIS - but general functions except Nav+ overlays showed fine.

Refueler

Visit site
Like I said, you need a subscription to activate the ais overlay. Simple as that.

You don't get it do you ?

Its easy to SAY something ... and then walk away. I asked for confirmation - people are looking to spend money because of this ...

Instead of just blindly saying .... blah blah blah ... I actually went out and tested to see the REAL truth - not some forum post.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
OK ... went to boat ... braved the biting cold wind for you guys !!

AIS had varying 13 to 16 targets .... Garmin UHD 92sv showed ... Android Tablet with subscribed app showed .... Samsung phone with same sub showed ... Samsung with non subscribed did not show AIS - but general functions except Nav+ overlays showed fine.
Thank you for the definitive answer, your time and effort is appreciated

MoodySabre

Visit site
I’ve got an iPad Pro (boo, hiss) with a cheap monthly sim (Smarty). I use Boat Beacon for AIS. It overlays on to Navionics nicely and seems a reasonable solution for not much outlay.

Not much good where you really need it offshore crossing TSSs etc. I have a Yakker Wi-Fi bridge fed from my SH VHF.

fredrussell

Visit site

You don't get it do you ?

Its easy to SAY something ... and then walk away. I asked for confirmation - people are looking to spend money because of this ...

Instead of just blindly saying .... blah blah blah ... I actually went out and tested to see the REAL truth - not some forum post.
I don’t know why you’re getting your knickers in a twist over this. Instead of messing about with your various gadgets you could just have gone to the Navionics site where it clearly states:

How to activate the AIS feature
What you need:
- The latest version of the Boating app with an active subscription

That seems fairly definitive to me!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Which is exactly why I stated the obvious limitation of an AIS system that depends on IP.

It works fine for me in the Clyde. It’s also worth noting it functions as a class B transponder.

Better functionality in hardware is around £700 and is on the “list” for me. Those working with priorities and budgets might find it a good temporary solution, as I have.
The class b transponder function is interesting. Do you happen to know how frequently it sends out your data? Is it sending it out to somewhere that other vessels will routinely receive it or just to some internet place where apps get their data? If the OOW on the LNG tankers and Irish ferry around Milford Haven could see me on their AIS I’d be interested in that app in addition to my hardware AIS receiver

wonkywinch

Visit site

Although the supplier says they operate their own network of shore based Internet linked receivers, the system appears very similar to Marine Traffic etc.

I would be very wary of the latency of this method of AIS reception in close quarters situations. The output may look convincing but it can't match the accuracy of a proprietary AIS receiver on board.

They claim it works "up to 15nm" from the shore, but again, that is theoretical because the phone network companies will be making sure they don't radiate too much wasted signal over (relatively unpopulated) water.

Add AIS Coverage for Your Area – Pocket Mariner

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Disappointingly, I’m talking rubbish… apologies!

Unless the other vessel is receiving AIS NMEA data via IP, they won’t see see you.

“You will not be visible to other ships on their AIS systems unless they also use data from the same land based AIS networks.”

I remember reading this when I subscribed. It’s still a very useful tool even with the stated limitations.

mikegunn

Visit site
I had been using an expired subscription version of Navionics on an IPad and successfully overlaying a wireless AIS signal. I hadn’t updated the app, for possibly at least a year, but decided to do so recently. From that point on I lost the AIS facility!! I will now need to re-subscribe to regain the AIS facility.
Mike

requiem

Visit site
I would be very wary of the latency of this method of AIS reception in close quarters situations. The output may look convincing but it can't match the accuracy of a proprietary AIS receiver on board.
AIS also has some inherent latency, but Marine Traffic has far greater delay than is strictly necessary. (Likely because it's also incorporating historical data rather than intending to provide a real-time feed). Here's a comparison between MT (background) and a nav app (foreground) consuming a dedicated feed I suspect is similar to Boat Beacon's:

37R2KOw.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
I don’t know why you’re getting your knickers in a twist over this. Instead of messing about with your various gadgets you could just have gone to the Navionics site where it clearly states:

How to activate the AIS feature
What you need:
- The latest version of the Boating app with an active subscription

That seems fairly definitive to me!

Read the whole site and you will then get to understand the wording ... Garmin have left various lines indicating cessation of Chart service when sub ends - but in fact does not.
This fact has been highlighted many times on this forum and I for one wanted to be 101% sure - not just take Garmins sligh wording.

So you think I'm Knickers in a Twist over it ?? Maybe Dellquays question of paying sub to get the asset is not worthy of investigation and full practical confirmation ?

Last edited: