My holes too small

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Rigged my Genoa yesterday all well (once I got the furling line on the right way) but found that the cringle was too small to take both sheets (its the first time it's been rigged by me) so at the moment I can only sail on starboard tack.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
An alternative is using a sheet twice as long as a single sheet and tie a bowline in the centre of the rope. Advantages are that it NEVER snags when tacking on babystays/shrouds etc. BUT jam in about 3 short pieces of disposable rope into the knot to make it easy to untie at layup - drag/cut these pieces out and the bowline unties easily. I was lucky in that I had recently aquired surplus climbing rope cheap so had a long length available, it's colourful too! Works really well.

Poecheng

Visit site
Tie the port sheet into the existing loop that goes through the cringle - both don't have to go through the cringle.

[this is known as "dipping the rope":encouragement:]

Topcat47

Visit site
You could get a soft shackle and tie the sheets to that. I'd not recommend using a hard one. I prefer thicker sheets for ease of handling and it works for me.

Boo2

Visit site
Rigged my Genoa yesterday all well (once I got the furling line on the right way) but found that the cringle was too small to take both sheets (its the first time it's been rigged by me) so at the moment I can only sail on starboard tack.
My boat uses a dyneema soft shackle to attach the sheets to the genoa, maybe you could do the same ?

Damn - beaten to it :)

Boo2

NormanS

Visit site
An alternative is using a sheet twice as long as a single sheet and tie a bowline in the centre of the rope. Advantages are that it NEVER snags when tacking on babystays/shrouds etc. BUT jam in about 3 short pieces of disposable rope into the knot to make it easy to untie at layup - drag/cut these pieces out and the bowline unties easily. I was lucky in that I had recently aquired surplus climbing rope cheap so had a long length available, it's colourful too! Works really well.

Climbing rope is normally notable for its stretch, so would seem a strange choice for sheets, but each to his own.

MM5AHO

Visit site
A single sheet sounds like it would solve my "tangle on the stays" problem, but my current ones are colour coded. Red sheet for the port side, and green for stbd. How would I ever remember this colour code if I had a single sheet?

VicS

Visit site
. How would I ever remember this colour code if I had a single sheet?

How much RED PORT is LEFT in the bottle is one method

but how do you get the sheets the right way round when you first put them on at the start of the season

.I know you ask the forum !

Last edited:

Norman_E

Visit site
My boat uses a dyneema soft shackle to attach the sheets to the genoa, maybe you could do the same ?

Damn - beaten to it :)

Boo2

My boat the same, and I think it is the best way to do it as it allows you to eye splice the ends of both sheets and attach them with the soft shackle, leaving less bulk in terms of knots to snag against shrouds when you tack.