My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
No worries then . Not trying to be gloom and doom , just looking at things you might have missed, you come across as capable. Again just saying, the temp gauge looks faulty its still reading a high temp. Also its a quick turnover as he's only had it ,what, 1 to 2 years. All said and done its not a huge amount of money where boats are concerned. Some people on here pay that for mooring fees a year. (y)

That's ok. It's all welcome as that's how I'm going to learn. Didn't notice that on the temp gauge.

Yes, the previous owner to this one informed me that its was being bought at that time to take to France just before covid started. Looks like that didn't happen.

The ebay seller who works for the owner now advises the owner has bought a new boat so selling this one.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
When the time comes, I think a lake would be good ide for a first run out. Removing the complexity of tides / currents / other traffic would be wise.

And really needs to be done with a mate or someone who knows how to launch, drive and recover a boat. I wouldn't take the wife, family, etc no matter how excited they are about it.

Good idea ... who was my new best friend on this forum again that lives close to me? ?

@chillee ?

Spot on....... If your families experience of the first use of the boat is bad that is sometimes the end of boating for you.

Good advice.

I shouldnt laugh... ? so what did he do wrong here? Underestimating the wave? .. is there anything he could have done to avoid it?

Last edited:

bowler

Visit site
Spot on....... If your families experience of the first use of the boat is bad that is sometimes the end of boating for you.

This is probably the most important thing you have been advised to do! Plenty of idle boats sitting about for this reason alone.

Second is starting on inland water until everyone gets the hang of things.

Good times ahead!

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
This is probably the most important thing you have been advised to do! Plenty of idle boats sitting about for this reason alone.

Second is starting on inland water until everyone gets the hang of things.

Good times ahead!

Really glad I joined this forum ?

Thinking about it now... there are quite a number of boats with covers on drenched in leaves around the streets near my home... should have just knocked their doors amd offered to buy ?‍♂️

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Really glad I joined this forum ?

Thinking about it now... there are quite a number of boats with covers on drenched in leaves around the streets near my home... should have just knocked their doors amd offered to buy ?‍♂️
Not a bad plan B
I think I would just post a note through the doors showing your interest and wait for any responses.

Hangie

Visit site
Managed to get hold of the previous owner again... he has advised it is around 1,750kg excl. fuel.
If it is really 1750kg, which I doubt, double check the trailer MAM ,on an axle ideally. Single axles are normally up to 1500kg. Also good to check if transom is fully supported, which might not be theses if trailer is too short.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
If it is really 1750kg, which I doubt, double check the trailer MAM ,on an axle ideally. Single axles are normally up to 1500kg. Also good to check if transom is fully supported, which might not be theses if trailer is too short.

Singles do go up to 1800kg. Just make sure the tyres are also suitably rated (as well as the axle and hitch) as people often don't think of this when replacing them. Look for a 104 rating, which is 900kg per tyre.

bowler

Visit site

I would agree.

You could knock 500kg off that.

QBhoy

Visit site
I would agree.

You could knock 500kg off that.
I’d think it’s going to be 1500 anyway dry on a trailer. It’s definitely going to weigh 1000 kgs dry at least (that would be light) and the trailer will be 500kgs anyway if it’s good. I know my Canadian built 18ft bowrider weighs 1400kgs dry and over 1500 with fuel on it just…on its trailer it’s certainly 2000 kgs. I’ll admit that’s a heavy built boat and is unusual with having a big V8 in her…but even still…I’d doubt there are any inboard 18ft boats that come in less than 1000-1100 kgs…even with a 3.0. My thoughts anyway.