My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Big or small car - the critical thing is traction. RWD is fine because on a slip with nose high weight 'fall backwards' and will push harder on the rear axle.

However, if the driving wheels are on a slimey/weed/algae slippery surface they'll spin at even lightest touch of the throttle. Hence pdending on the actual situation and how far you need reverse to recover the boat.

4x4 of course will solve the problem but only if the transmision is intelligent enought to route power to the wheels on firm ground - or that feature can be managed from the drivers seat (diff lock). If in addition you can select low range in the trans you can ensure the wheels will turn slowly and the torque will be extremely high - ie. to pull a huge load in idle.

The Sea Ray + trailer isn't a huge load by any means though.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Ive never had a lease car before.. always thought they were a money trap. was always taught to buy "liabilities" with cash?... thinking about it, a few hundred a month sounds ok though vs depreciation of an already "used" car perhaps ? ... and can invest the money was going to buy a Q7 with.... time to get Excel out and do a CBA I think :D

I am not sure but you might find that a lease vehicle may not have a tow bar or be allowed to fit one..... Make sure you check this out

chillee

Visit site
As you won an auction on ebay, I am not sure you will have any recourse for price adjustments. I think I recall the advert saying, sold as seen or something similar?
To the discussion about using your Muscle car to tow. Personally I would not. It might be fine towing on the road, but on a steep and slippery slipway at low tide, I would think that traction when recovering the boat could be a bit challenging at times. Just my view.

If you get bored of towing and launching/recovery. Which I did. You could get a marina berth and a drive on floating dock. Keeps the boat out of the water, no need for antifoul, and she is ready to go whenever you want.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
As you won an auction on ebay, I am not sure you will have any recourse for price adjustments. I think I recall the advert saying, sold as seen or something similar?
To the discussion about using your Muscle car to tow. Personally I would not. It might be fine towing on the road, but on a steep and slippery slipway at low tide, I would think that traction when recovering the boat could be a bit challenging at times. Just my view.

If you get bored of towing and launching/recovery. Which I did. You could get a marina berth and a drive on floating dock. Keeps the boat out of the water, no need for antifoul, and she is ready to go whenever you want.

Yes but I have not seen it yet though. If it turns out broken, engine doesn't work or not as advertised "“Good condition as seen in pictures - Used” then I wont be parting with the cash (trading standards!). I'm probably being over cautious though and it will be alright on the night ;)

advert also said "Service receipts dating back to 2005 to include pre delivery inspection." but they are largely missing most years and not seen the pre delivery inspection document?

serv.jpg

ps: In a marina though means I am going be limited on places I can visit / start off from?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Yes but I have not seen it yet though. If it turns out broken, engine doesn't work or not as advertised "“Good condition as seen in pictures - Used” then I wont be parting with the cash (trading standards!). I'm probably being over cautious though and it will be alright on the night ;)

advert also said "Service receipts dating back to 2005 to include pre delivery inspection." but they are largely missing most years and not seen the pre delivery inspection document?

View attachment 128356

ps: In a marina though means I am going be limited on places I can visit / start off from?

Pre delivery Inspection I think just means you look at it first...... The Delivery bit is odd......... Were they offering delivery because if so this is a classic scammers comment on adverts

hinch

Visit site
I am not sure but you might find that a lease vehicle may not have a tow bar or be allowed to fit one..... Make sure you check this out

nope they come with them if you request them my ranger has one factory fitted including the full tow pack for cameras etc which is also low range able and 4x4 able not just rear hence the suggestion. + practical load bed for carrying things like fuel for the boat etc.

stelican

Visit site
Pre delivery Inspection I think just means you look at it first...... The Delivery bit is odd......... Were they offering delivery because if so this is a classic scammers comment on adverts
A pre delivery inspection is carried out by the manufacturers agent/dealerusually a tick list maybe 50 /60 items for a boat of that size.
The dealer is required to send this to the manufacturer to commence the warranty. A copy is often left with the owners pack.

Seastoke

Visit site
All, advice time again pls.... just had a reply from the eBay seller (selling on behalf of her boss) with:-

"Either myself or Craig [owner] will meet you for handover depending on commitments."

I believe the Ebayer is the company secretary / office manager but:-

1) how can she have authorisation to sell on behalf of an owner in his absence?
2) I would need a bill of sale at the time of me paying but does owner not have to be present?
3) is there a formal transfer of ownership from owner to me ... is it online?
What if it’s an angry wife and he is working Saturday , ie don’t pay cash

Nito

Visit site
On the subject of theft and finance, make sure you get sight of the owners ID, personally I would ask to see his license and either take a photo of it if he’s ok with that or at the very least write down the number and check the address against the one on the receipt. Get him to write on the receipt that the boat passes with clear title and that there is no outstanding loans or finance secured against the vessel. At least this goes someway to anything coming back on you. Also visually verify the hull number and write that on the receipt also.

As per previous advice. If there is a chance he won't be meeting you I would communicate to him now that you would be expecting a bill of sale with the above info included on it and if he's not meeting you to send you a form of ID (driving Licence photocard) and that you won't be completing or handing over any funds unless you have this. If he wants to sell it he should have no issue with it. Or insist that he is there to meet you anyway, if he can't make that day to pick another!

Last edited:

chillee

Visit site

View attachment 128356

Yes re marina. Just saying, if you decide to settle down somewhere at sometime, it's a good option.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
As per previous advice. If there is a chance he won't be meeting you I would communicate to him now that you would be expecting a bill of sale with the above info included on it and if he's not meeting you to send you a form of ID (driving Licence photocard) and that you won't be completing or handing over any funds unless you have this. If he wants to sell it he should have no issue with it. Or insist that he is there to meet you anyway, if he can't make that day to pick another!

Thanks... I've delayed it to the following Saturday 22nd now as he can make that day.... I can wait another week :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
A pre delivery inspection is carried out by the manufacturers agent/dealerusually a tick list maybe 50 /60 items for a boat of that size.
The dealer is required to send this to the manufacturer to commence the warranty. A copy is often left with the owners pack.

Don't forget this is an Ebay purchase

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Ok...

✅ Marine engineer booked to do survey
✅ I'm going up same day
✅ Owner will meet me
✅ delivery company booked to tow

Guessing even though delivery company is insured I need my own insurance that day?

1️⃣ Any good insurance companies?
2️⃣ what's an approx. cost?

I think that's everything I need to think about for now yes?

benjenbav

Visit site
I know but I was pointing out that that cant sort of apply as this is an Ebay Purchase
I think there was a reference (100 posts ago :)) to the original PDI report being included in the paperwork rather than it being something being carried out now.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Ok...

✅ Marine engineer booked to do survey
✅ I'm going up same day
✅ Owner will meet me
✅ delivery company booked to tow

Guessing even though delivery company is insured I need my own insurance that day?

1️⃣ Any good insurance companies?
2️⃣ what's an approx. cost?

I think that's everything I need to think about for now yes?

Craft insure online Cost around £150 a year based on last year but might have gone up. Link below

Craftinsure Boat Insurance