My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
4 cyl. 3 litre and 135 hp, must achieve 4400-4800 rpm at full throttle under normal load (and will have most hp at 4800). Ol' fashioned carburettor as opposed to injection.
Sterndrive would be Mercruiser Alpha.

Ability to pull toys (and achieve speed) will depend very much on the propeller dimension and the boat GW is crucial (where a prop's pitch equals gears on a bike: Too much pitch and you wont accelerate fast or pull hard, too low pitch and you won't get the highest top speed).

US boats by default commonly are powered in aim of approx. 30 knots top speed, but the calculation is based on "135 horses can push xx load to yy speed". The by far easiest performance gain is by removing unneeded/unwanted weight!

So start throwing people overboard if I want to go faster... got it thanks ;)

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
This Saturday fingers crossed. I was going to buy another car .. a 4x4 today... went from a Audi Q7, to Land Rover discovery 4... but a colleague just talked me out of and advising I should buy something else? So going to take my time and for now I am just going to drive up in my car and get a towing company to bring it back down after I have inspected it with the marine engineer.

Personally would look for a Toyota with reduction gearbox.

No option to retrofit a tow bar to current car?

Last edited:

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I used to tow (an S230) with a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 TD down to Spain. (In hindsight probably not legally!!)
These (Shogun) imports are cheap as chips and bullet proof (eg chain drive overhead cam not belt)
Still got it. It‘s 20 years old, passes MOT’s first time and is the family skip now. :unsure:

Portland Billy

Visit site
The steering issues re- outdrives is due to the vessel being steered by the props and not a rudder. This gives a much faster response to adjustments and may take a bit to get used to.

limecc

Visit site
Not torque. My Kad 32 Sealine S24 has a contra rotating duo prop and it is just as bad
ahh true, I have the same. Didn't think of that
For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. With a single RH propeller a boat hull will be pushed anti clockwise and to port.
Suprised a contra rotating prop would cause torque steer, you would expect it to be reduced or eliminated. There must be an imbalance between props where the forces are not cancelled, or something else is going on not yet considered. Either way it's the prop that's transferring the power and is responsible. Different hull shapes are more susceptible to the effect that's clear. This thread isn't the place but clearly worth discussing on another or new one.

Last edited:

chillee

Visit site
This Saturday fingers crossed. I was going to buy another car .. a 4x4 today... went from a Audi Q7, to Land Rover discovery 4... but a colleague just talked me out of and advising I should buy something else? So going to take my time and for now I am just going to drive up in my car and get a towing company to bring it back down after I have inspected it with the marine engineer.
Another option to look at is the Mercedes R class. I had 2 of these and towed my boat with them. More car like to look at, and have 3 proper rows of seats., but powerful and 4 wheel drive. Out of production now, and a marmite car, so you might find them at a good price.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Another option to look at is the Mercedes R class. I had 2 of these and towed my boat with them. More car like to look at, and have 3 proper rows of seats., but powerful and 4 wheel drive. Out of production now, and a marmite car, so you might find them at a good price.

R class looks nice. Shall look into it. 7 seats too win win.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Actually there is but it's a 5.7L V8 and a RWD so might not be suitable for a trailer? Plus I would have to buy it from America and ship over... wouldn't get here quick.
You won't get a UK type approved towbar for a US import unless the car you have was sold here with type approval for towing, AND a towing fitment was made available.

Think your best bet is indeed to buy a tow car. Discovery 4 a great choice but you might prefer German, so the Merc GL (aka GLS for newer models) also a good bet. Braked towing weight 3500kg (bit less for the bonkers V8 AMG) and it's a 7 seater to boot.

Last edited: