Which First Boat -For River/Canal Cruising

jandnrowe

Visit site
I spent nearly 2-3 years looking for a craft with a shortlist of essentials - which these boats have.
I spent a week on her in May and never felt like I was cramped in despite her size. Having said that, I'm no giant, but the cross berth under the deck was very cosy and I had plenty of space for all my stuff.
We immediately liked our boat when we stepped onboard the first viewing, and though she is 30yrs old, she been well looked after. 'Yours' looks similarly well cared for.

Alicatt

Visit site
You deffo don’t need A cert. What you definitely do need is support from Mrs Alicatt, happy wife easy life etc. I’ve found it make my boating life much happier if my wife likes what we have…! And, when considering changes, that her needs / expectations are met first.
O/T
It has taken a few years to get Mrs Catt on a small boat and in conditions that would not frighten her off, slowly been ramping up the conditions until last year I persuaded her to do a powerboat level 2 course at Largs, we were out in a force 5/6 with some nice waves and Mrs Catt loved it on a Merry Fisher 725, now we have the Placom 750 with a 13hp engine and Mrs Catt would like a bit more room and a bit more speed (not a lot mind you) it was coming back from Maasmechlen at 10km/h and the other boats were doing 12 - 14km/h and how quick they disappeared on the canal that finally she said "We need a bigger boat"
I would like something I can take to the sea and go along the coast so the Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge would fit that bill, in that it is slightly bigger, and the bed is a lot bigger, has a nice galley leading to the cockpit, and a 200pk VP diesel sterndrive to give it a bit of oomph

Contessa2.jpgContessa1.jpg

Dannyc

Visit site
A good choice and you get a lot of stuff for a starter boat. I've got the Faircraft version and really like her. Easy to single handle too. If this has folding screens that's another advantage if low bridges need to be considered. Sadly mine's fixed.
Have you had a look at her yet?

I meant to ask, was your Faircraft version a shaft drive too? I’m just interested in the manoeuvrability as I’ve had conflicting advice on shaft vs stern drive in terms of that.

Regarding this particular craft, I’m going to view it tomorrow.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
O/T
It has taken a few years to get Mrs Catt on a small boat and in conditions that would not frighten her off, slowly been ramping up the conditions until last year I persuaded her to do a powerboat level 2 course at Largs, we were out in a force 5/6 with some nice waves and Mrs Catt loved it on a Merry Fisher 725, now we have the Placom 750 with a 13hp engine and Mrs Catt would like a bit more room and a bit more speed (not a lot mind you) it was coming back from Maasmechlen at 10km/h and the other boats were doing 12 - 14km/h and how quick they disappeared on the canal that finally she said "We need a bigger boat"
I would like something I can take to the sea and go along the coast so the Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge would fit that bill, in that it is slightly bigger, and the bed is a lot bigger, has a nice galley leading to the cockpit, and a 200pk VP diesel sterndrive to give it a bit of oomph

View attachment 179152View attachment 179153
Go for it!

jandnrowe

Visit site
I meant to ask, was your Faircraft version a shaft drive too? I’m just interested in the manoeuvrability as I’ve had conflicting advice on shaft vs stern drive in terms of that.

Regarding this particular craft, I’m going to view it tomorrow.
Yep, shaft drive but Perkins 29hp diesel. Not the original engine though. Happy viewing.

Dannyc

Visit site
Viewed the boat yesterday but was sadly disappointed. I’m quickly learning that buying a used boat is exactly the same as buying a used car, with online photographs often being rather flattering.

I did however take the opportunity to view some other boats while I was down there, including a cuddy/day boat, which I think is the route I’m now going to go down. A season or two gaining confidence on the water, then look to move onto something a little bigger in the future for longer trips away.