My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

Hangie

Visit site
For such a small trailer you don’t need big 4x4.
I got a similar 1000kg boat and I’m using my wife Honda CRV. No issues with recovery on a slipway and for most time rear axle is not even powered.
I’ve also done a multiple trips from Surrey down A3 to Chichester harbour no issues whatsoever - beside low mpg :)

For slipways I can recommend penton hook, and Chichester marina. Of course both come at pricey the latest one is £40.
Walton marina is bit cheaper but manoeuvre is rather tight there.

You really don’t need real 4x4 with low drive and 4L V8.

unless you really want to splash on a tow car there really will be many opportunities to spend money on a boat.

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
Here you go Tony!!

1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 AMAZON 4.5 VX 5dr Auto - LOW MILES - RARE CLASSIC | eBay

or a newer one…
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon 4.7 V8 5dr (8 Seat) | eBay

We’ve had both and they are awesome. We sold our 80 with about 180k miles and our 100 series has over 270k now. The 80 series is actually an 8 seater!
Had a Landcruiser FJ80 4.2 Turbo Diesel Amazon VX, great tow vehicle and very reliable as long as the service interval is met, for me it was once a fortnight to meet the 4.5k mile service interval, I put more than 100k miles on it in quite a short time. My wife is a big fan of Land Rover/Range Rover and when I took early retirement bought myself a Range Rover Sport TDV8, not quite as reliable as the Amazon but not too bad, it has now done almost 120k miles. It has been quite a good tow vehicle and I use it to haul my son's plant and machinery around.

FJ80 at work:
NoCjC8Q.jpgqi1c82y.jpg

RRS at work:
nermeMA.jpg5FzUyKUCrop.jpg

Edit:
What you up to Saturday 2pm ;)
Ah sorry, was going to be heading north to Scotland after catching the ferry from France, but plans changed today so it will be the end of the month before we leave for Scotland.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
It is nowt to do with the Prop...... This is going up a complete blind ally
Totally agree. Wandering at slow speeds isn’t anything to do with a prop. It’s just what a short stern heavy planing hull with do with an outboard or stern drive. To do with keel tracking. Or the lack of it. Especially noticeable on shallow American hulls.

limecc

Visit site
Totally agree. Wandering at slow speeds isn’t anything to do with a prop. It’s just what a short stern heavy planing hull with do with an outboard or stern drive. To do with keel tracking. Or the lack of it. Especially noticeable on shallow American hulls.
I agree as well at displacement. My comment was referring to torque steer on the plane. Actually there can be two unwanted effects, torque roll and torque steer.

QBhoy

Visit site
I agree as well at displacement. My comment was referring to torque steer on the plane. Actually there can be two unwanted effects, torque roll and torque steer.
Got you. Yeah. Torque steer can be a real issue on larger gearbox/prop set ups. I had a real time of it with a new boat I got a couple years ago. Adjusted the engine height and fitted hydraulic steering. Problem gone now. Without hydraulic steering…can do a good job of lessening the issue by getting the engine height sorted and a bit of trim. But there will always be a slight issue at slow planing speeds without proper steering. Mine was the worst I’ve known on a boat. Caused by a fairly big engine and large gearcase. Worsened again by having a big diameter prop on it.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Why dont you book sea monkey to go with you , he should be able to run the engine

Great minds... I called a number of marine surveyors listed on the York marina website yesterday (someone here sent me a link) but either the wait was long (1 mth+) or they did not do proper engine checks. So I called sea monkey again last night and booked him in for Saturday :D(y)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
For such a small trailer you don’t need big 4x4.
I got a similar 1000kg boat and I’m using my wife Honda CRV. No issues with recovery on a slipway and for most time rear axle is not even powered.
I’ve also done a multiple trips from Surrey down A3 to Chichester harbour no issues whatsoever - beside low mpg :)

For slipways I can recommend penton hook, and Chichester marina. Of course both come at pricey the latest one is £40.
Walton marina is bit cheaper but manoeuvre is rather tight there.

You really don’t need real 4x4 with low drive and 4L V8.

unless you really want to splash on a tow car there really will be many opportunities to spend money on a boat.

I have a Rear Wheel Drive 5.7L V8 ... so getting a tow bar attachment for my car should suffice instead? Thought RWD was a no no for a trailer? I already have a hard time going around roundabouts but my foot is rather heavy ?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Had a Landcruiser FJ80 4.2 Turbo Diesel Amazon VX, great tow vehicle and very reliable as long as the service interval is met, for me it was once a fortnight to meet the 4.5k mile service interval, I put more than 100k miles on it in quite a short time. My wife is a big fan of Land Rover/Range Rover and when I took early retirement bought myself a Range Rover Sport TDV8, not quite as reliable as the Amazon but not too bad, it has now done almost 120k miles. It has been quite a good tow vehicle and I use it to haul my son's plant and machinery around.

FJ80 at work:
View attachment 128324View attachment 128325

RRS at work:
View attachment 128326View attachment 128327

Edit:

Ah sorry, was going to be heading north to Scotland after catching the ferry from France, but plans changed today so it will be the end of the month before we leave for Scotland.

Thanks. Not sure the wife will like the Toyota land cruiser but shall check... She likes the look of an Audi, BWM and Merc!! but don't think they are as functional? Range Rover I believe she likes though.

ps: I was hinting pop over to Driffield Saturday :ROFLMAO:

hinch

Visit site
The yank tank will tow just fine if although very fuel hungry tbh i've towed with the mustang before although only a twin bike trailer.
get a ford ranger (or pick up of your choice) on personal lease you only need the bottom of the range and give it back when you're bored cost a couple of hundred a month and it'll be new rather than old and need loads of maintenance and a damn sight cheaper than a q7

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
The yank tank will tow just fine if although very fuel hungry tbh i've towed with the mustang before although only a twin bike trailer.
get a ford ranger (or pick up of your choice) on personal lease you only need the bottom of the range and give it back when you're bored cost a couple of hundred a month and it'll be new rather than old and need loads of maintenance and a damn sight cheaper than a q7

Ive never had a lease car before.. always thought they were a money trap. was always taught to buy "liabilities" with cash?... thinking about it, a few hundred a month sounds ok though vs depreciation of an already "used" car perhaps ? ... and can invest the money was going to buy a Q7 with.... time to get Excel out and do a CBA I think :D

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
All, advice time again pls.... just had a reply from the eBay seller (selling on behalf of her boss) with:-

"Either myself or Craig [owner] will meet you for handover depending on commitments."

I believe the Ebayer is the company secretary / office manager but:-

1) how can she have authorisation to sell on behalf of an owner in his absence?
2) I would need a bill of sale at the time of me paying but does owner not have to be present?
3) is there a formal transfer of ownership from owner to me ... is it online?

markc

Visit site
As purchaser you are responsible for the due diligence. There is no on-line record of ownership unless the boat is Part 1 registered (which it's not), so it's buyer beware. A Bill of Sale traditionally is also a function of selling a boat / share of on a Part 1 vessel, but they are regularly used for non Part 1. If you are satisfied with the trail of ownership evidence that is presented, and you feel that you are buying from the legitimate owner, then go ahead. Also, there could be other liens on the boat due to unpaid bills or other ownership claims. It could be stolen. Buyer beware could not be more apt.

julians

Visit site
All, advice time again pls.... just had a reply from the eBay seller (selling on behalf of her boss) with:-

"Either myself or Craig [owner] will meet you for handover depending on commitments."

I believe the Ebayer is the company secretary / office manager but:-

1) how can she have authorisation to sell on behalf of an owner in his absence?
2) I would need a bill of sale at the time of me paying but does owner not have to be present?
3) is there a formal transfer of ownership from owner to me ... is it online?
Theres not much/any official paper work that provides evidence of the boats real owner in the world of small boats (its not like cars where a v5 provides definition of ownership) . You need to establish that the seller has the authority to sell the boat for yourself, for example by looking at a papertrail of previous bills for that boat in the person who is selling its name, or just take a chance.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
As purchaser you are responsible for the due diligence. There is no on-line record of ownership unless the boat is Part 1 registered (which it's not), so it's buyer beware. A Bill of Sale traditionally is also a function of selling a boat / share of on a Part 1 vessel, but they are regularly used for non Part 1. If you are satisfied with the trail of ownership evidence that is presented, and you feel that you are buying from the legitimate owner, then go ahead. Also, there could be other liens on the boat due to unpaid bills or other ownership claims. It could be stolen. Buyer beware could not be more apt.

I see. Is there a format / template for a boat Bill of sale? Everything seems legitimate.. just I would have liked to talk to the owner instead of his secretary on the day... and do not know if she is authorised to sell on his behalf or can make decisions on any price amendments should the marine engineer find any major issues?

Theres not much/any official paper work that provides evidence of the boats real owner in the world of small boats (its not like cars where a v5 provides definition of ownership) . You need to establish that the seller has the authority to sell the boat for yourself, for example by looking at a papertrail of previous bills for that boat in the person who is selling its name, or just take a chance.

I just spoke to the previous owner and he is digging out the Bill of sale copy that he kept when he sold the boat to the current owner so that's reassuring... but as I mentioned above just the secretary of the owner is selling it and will do the handover... but I guess thats what boat brokers do also?