My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

Seastoke

Visit site
W
Ok...

✅ Marine engineer booked to do survey
✅ I'm going up same day
✅ Owner will meet me
✅ delivery company booked to tow

Guessing even though delivery company is insured I need my own insurance that day?

1️⃣ Any good insurance companies?
2️⃣ what's an approx. cost?

I think that's everything I need to think about for now yes?
What would answer a lot of questions would be if there was some where , close to where the boat is you could launch and try out , ask sea monkey

Visit site
All, advice time again pls.... just had a reply from the eBay seller (selling on behalf of her boss) with:-

"Either myself or Craig [owner] will meet you for handover depending on commitments."

I believe the Ebayer is the company secretary / office manager but:-

1) how can she have authorisation to sell on behalf of an owner in his absence?
2) I would need a bill of sale at the time of me paying but does owner not have to be present?
3) is there a formal transfer of ownership from owner to me ... is it online?
Is this boat owned by a company? While I have no real reason to believe this is a scam It does sound like its not 100% above board. paying folding cash / owner not going to be there/ will be now /might have a change of plan he cannot get out of on the day. I don't know the answers but I would be very very careful. If its a company a bit of a background check free on google will show "red flags" it you need to look further.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
W

What would answer a lot of questions would be if there was some where , close to where the boat is you could launch and try out , ask sea monkey

Good Idea I shall ask sea monkey. Assuming he has a vehicle to tow (as I don't) and that the owner is comfortable taking the boat out?

Thre are a few lakes just south of Driffield, search "boating lakes in east yorkshire" ie Billabong - Caravan Park & Water Sports, touring caravan site, holiday homes, static caravans, Brandesburton, Beverley. about 8 miles away.

Thanks

there's also bridlington not 10 miles away to test it on the sea ;)

Thanks

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Is this boat owned by a company? While I have no real reason to believe this is a scam It does sound like its not 100% above board. paying folding cash / owner not going to be there/ will be now /might have a change of plan he cannot get out of on the day. I don't know the answers but I would be very very careful. If its a company a bit of a background check free on google will show "red flags" it you need to look further.

I don't think it is owned by the company? It is stored at the owners company. My wife first checked via google earth using the background of the ebay photos (i.e. screwfix was in the back) so she located the address the boat was stored at this way. I am in the same field of work (construction, infrastructure, properties, etc.) and coincidentally I knew about this company which gave me a bit more reassurance. I'm normally busy with work commitments on the weekend also so I can cut him some slack on not being available.

Also, my wife did some double checks on the company via. google and the Director name is in fact the owner of the boat the ebay seller has advised. Also I spoke to the previous owner via. facebook messenger and he confirmed the name. Also told me a bit more about the boat and what went wrong under his watch and what he repaired.

Just read post 33, she didn't answer anything and I feel like the answers are deflective. 8 and 11 contradict each other. 6 : deflection 4/5/9/10/ ; not answered.

True. Probably as it is not her boat? I shall talk to the owner on the 22nd about these things... full list of replies as below...

1) One of the pictures which has a serial number (I think photo 5). where is that located on the boat and is that mould or rust shown in the bottom half of that photo? - Please send me email address so I can send further images and docs over
2) Is there a cover for it so when it rains the kids won’t get wet? - No cover
3) does anything need repairing on it either the engine or the boat? - No, newly fitted battery with 3 year warranty
4) Are You The Original Owner of The Boat or how many owners has it had? - Unsure of owners, I can see 3 from the paperwork we have which dates back to its pre delivery inspection from new.
5) is it registered with The UK Ship Register? - Unsure
6) what kind of little quirks does the boat have? - Sony CD sound system with speakers throughout boat
7) why are you selling the boat? - I am selling on behalf of my boss who has bought a new boat
8) How, and how often, has the boat been used? - Unsure as selling on behalf of boss
9) Has the Boat/Motor Had Any Major Repairs? - I have all the paperwork for servicing and repairs if you could send me an email address I can send over the scans?
10) How Many Hours Does The Motor Have on It? - A colleague is checking this for you.
11) Was The Boat Used in Saltwater - Not under our ownership.
12) Is All The Boat’s Equipment Included? - Only pictured included.
a) Who is the actual owner of the boat please? My boss, namely Carmichael
b) is proof of ownership available? There is a receipt between previous owner and current
c) Is there proof that the UK vat has been paid (this is a US import boat and any boats past 1984 need proof) - I have sent all paperwork we have, cannot see this certificate amongst this.
d) is there a Bill of sale record from previous owners - There is a receipt between previous owner and current
e) is there a Boat Safety Certificate (I will need this in order to use on a river) - I have sent all paperwork we have, cannot see this certificate amongst this.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
I just went to get a quote on craftinsure and it is asking me for the top speed of the boat? Googled and can only find sites showing the cruising speed of 23 Knots (see below)... anyone know what the maximum speed would be in knots?

and can I agree to this... the smallprint:-
  • The boat will only be moored or anchored on inland non tidal waters and in tidal marinas.
  • The boat has her permanent home mooring in the UK.

boat insurance quote (craftinsure.com)

speed.jpg

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
I have entered this for now.... itching to click buy policy but shall do it on the day of the sale 22nd Jan... unless can delay the start.. and cancel if boat sale does not go ahead?
1641970337431.png
1641970380553.png

bowler

Visit site
Just a thought on towing Tony.

I pulled almost exactly the same boat around for years with an old fwd transit (100hp version) and had no issues, and one of the ramps I used was super steep. Van was handy for gear like wakeboard and tubes. I ended up carpeting it and it became a changing room for getting into wetsuits as well. I miss that van.

I ended up getting a 4wd (Isuzu Trooper) with a low box when I changed to a boat more than twice the weight.

D

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Just a thought on towing Tony.

I pulled almost exactly the same boat around for years with an old fwd transit (100hp version) and had no issues, and one of the ramps I used was super steep. Van was handy for gear like wakeboard and tubes. I ended up carpeting it and it became a changing room for getting into wetsuits as well. I miss that van.

I ended up getting a 4wd (Isuzu Trooper) with a low box when I changed to a boat more than twice the weight.

D

I tried to hint about getting a van but it did not go well with the wife... she looked at me all funny! I'm a serial entrepreneur and thought could get the van to use for something else too.. turn it from a liability into an asset is always the goal. She used to have company cars but she has been off work for a several years looking after the little ones (thats more than a full time job)... and she has her heart set on an SUV or MPV... something that looks really nice is important apparently :rolleyes: ... and with the Alaskan malamute puppy growing real fast we need something with a lot of space and seats.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I just went to get a quote on craftinsure and it is asking me for the top speed of the boat? Googled and can only find sites showing the cruising speed of 23 Knots (see below)... anyone know what the maximum speed would be in knots?

and can I agree to this... the smallprint:-
  • The boat will only be moored or anchored on inland non tidal waters and in tidal marinas.
  • The boat has her permanent home mooring in the UK.

boat insurance quote (craftinsure.com)

View attachment 128373
Just a double check on lying “Granada”
Craftinsure have a quirk where it always says “home mooring Uk“ even if you’re in Spain. Just checking that you are not paying a premium for Granada Spain.

Visit site
I don't think it is owned by the company? It is stored at the owners company. My wife first checked via google earth using the background of the ebay photos (i.e. screwfix was in the back) so she located the address the boat was stored at this way. I am in the same field of work (construction, infrastructure, properties, etc.) and coincidentally I knew about this company which gave me a bit more reassurance. I'm normally busy with work commitments on the weekend also so I can cut him some slack on not being available.

Also, my wife did some double checks on the company via. google and the Director name is in fact the owner of the boat the ebay seller has advised. Also I spoke to the previous owner via. facebook messenger and he confirmed the name. Also told me a bit more about the boat and what went wrong under his watch and what he repaired.

True. Probably as it is not her boat? I shall talk to the owner on the 22nd about these things... full list of replies as below...

1) One of the pictures which has a serial number (I think photo 5). where is that located on the boat and is that mould or rust shown in the bottom half of that photo? - Please send me email address so I can send further images and docs over
2) Is there a cover for it so when it rains the kids won’t get wet? - No cover
3) does anything need repairing on it either the engine or the boat? - No, newly fitted battery with 3 year warranty
4) Are You The Original Owner of The Boat or how many owners has it had? - Unsure of owners, I can see 3 from the paperwork we have which dates back to its pre delivery inspection from new.
5) is it registered with The UK Ship Register? - Unsure
6) what kind of little quirks does the boat have? - Sony CD sound system with speakers throughout boat
7) why are you selling the boat? - I am selling on behalf of my boss who has bought a new boat
8) How, and how often, has the boat been used? - Unsure as selling on behalf of boss
9) Has the Boat/Motor Had Any Major Repairs? - I have all the paperwork for servicing and repairs if you could send me an email address I can send over the scans?
10) How Many Hours Does The Motor Have on It? - A colleague is checking this for you.
11) Was The Boat Used in Saltwater - Not under our ownership.
12) Is All The Boat’s Equipment Included? - Only pictured included.
a) Who is the actual owner of the boat please? My boss, namely Carmichael
b) is proof of ownership available? There is a receipt between previous owner and current
c) Is there proof that the UK vat has been paid (this is a US import boat and any boats past 1984 need proof) - I have sent all paperwork we have, cannot see this certificate amongst this.
d) is there a Bill of sale record from previous owners - There is a receipt between previous owner and current
e) is there a Boat Safety Certificate (I will need this in order to use on a river) - I have sent all paperwork we have, cannot see this certificate amongst this.

No worries then . Not trying to be gloom and doom , just looking at things you might have missed, you come across as capable. Again just saying, the temp gauge looks faulty its still reading a high temp. Also its a quick turnover as he's only had it ,what, 1 to 2 years. All said and done its not a huge amount of money where boats are concerned. Some people on here pay that for mooring fees a year. (y)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
When the time comes, I think a lake would be good ide for a first run out. Removing the complexity of tides / currents / other traffic would be wise.

And really needs to be done with a mate or someone who knows how to launch, drive and recover a boat. I wouldn't take the wife, family, etc no matter how excited they are about it.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
When the time comes, I think a lake would be good ide for a first run out. Removing the complexity of tides / currents / other traffic would be wise.

And really needs to be done with a mate or someone who knows how to launch, drive and recover a boat. I wouldn't take the wife, family, etc no matter how excited they are about it.

Spot on....... If your families experience of the first use of the boat is bad that is sometimes the end of boating for you.