My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

limecc

Visit site

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Aghhh. just realised I have another dilemma in buying this boat vs. the other Regal one I was looking at... My girls are 5, 6 and 7 and not too fond of the cold and rain... (leaving the UK for a warmer climate may be a bit extreme... maybe)... so now I need to find a company that can make a custom enclosure for the Sea Ray. It will need to be designed to minimise drag as much as possible too. Is there anyone in the UK that can do this and how much would it cost?... Want to try and get it done in the next month or so. The boat I am buying is in the first two pics and something like that in the last 3rd pic perhaps ... or better looking (found via google)

ENC1.jpg
ENC2.jpg

Looking for something like this below maybe to fit the boat above?

ENCLOSURE.jpg

Bigplumbs

Visit site
There are many Many People who can make that sort of thing. But To get it done in 1 month would be incredible. These sort of People have very long waiting lists. I had one made for my 19 foot Fletcher Bowrider last year.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
There are many Many People who can make that sort of thing. But To get it done in 1 month would be incredible. These sort of People have very long waiting lists. I had one made for my 19 foot Fletcher Bowrider last year.

Oh... more realistically for around May? Thinking about it... I need some boat training first and then a few sessions out with a mate before I venture out with the family. Where did you get yours done.. any pics?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
got location wrong.
He used Trim Shop in Penton Hook
very happy with the work. Whole newly designed frame and canopy. Stainless frame too, so nice and strong.

thanks spoke to Steve. Coming around in a few weeks to measure up and takes about 2 to 3 month to make.

I used these guys to make a SS bimini frame for me and the covers, shipped to SoF. They were good value and good quality. I supplied all the measurements and they made a CAD drawing for approval then manufactured the frame and canopy, In your case you could easily take the boat to them for final fitting. Canvasman: We Have The Outdoors Covered

Thanks. Seems like a bigger company and spoke to the receptionist as all in Sales were tied up.. calling me back tomorrow... They have a 4 to 5 month build time.

Hangie

Visit site
Bowrider with a full canopy - why not :)
just be mindful that is quite a frame and won’t be easily demountable. Do you have a way to close the bow passage ? Without it you will have draft and noise as air with come under canopy and won’t have way out.

Im not sure if you are aware how much such things cost. for a bespoke design I would not be surprised if it would be in around 30%-40% value of the whole boat. Of course you will never recover that when selling.
Last year I’ve paid almost £300 just to produce a single s/s missing bow from a Bimini.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Bowrider with a full canopy - why not :)
just be mindful that is quite a frame and won’t be easily demountable. Do you have a way to close the bow passage ? Without it you will have draft and noise as air with come under canopy and won’t have way out.

Im not sure if you are aware how much such things cost. for a bespoke design I would not be surprised if it would be in around 30%-40% value of the whole boat. Of course you will never recover that when selling.
Last year I’ve paid almost £300 just to produce a single s/s missing bow from a Bimini.

Thanks. Initially had a £90k budget to buy a bigger / newer boat but wanted something really cheap to learn in as its my first one... only paid c.£9k for this boat so another £3k to £4k or so is ok for an enclosure as want to make the boating experience pleasant for the family.

Didn't realise it isn't easily dismountable and don't think the bow passage can be completely closed but shall investigate.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Have you actually bought the boat?
I‘m thinking is this the right boat for you family needs?
What will it look like with a canopy you can stand up in? Have you sketched it out?
Worth some reflection before parting with the cash.

Not yet, buying the boat on Saturday. Did some more research and to my surprise they actually do these for a version of the Sea Ray 180 bowrider... links below.

Convertible Top Aft Curtain For 1999 Sea Ray 180 BR IN - Bimini Option A89 - Toast Tweed (greatlakesboattop.com)
Convertible Top Side Curtain Set For 1999 Sea Ray 180 BR IN - Bimini Option A53 - Mediterranean Blue Twd (greatlakesboattop.com)

1642448986667.png

1642449040847.png

Hangie

Visit site
There is plenty boats between 9 and 90 :)

Bowrider like that got very low free boards. to have canopy where you can stand will be a significant construction on the top. Check out the example, not very drag efficient.

Maybe think about bow cover to have a semi cuddy cabin, will be also way cheaper plus will help with the water intake on sea.

Bimini and canopy will require torx/Allen to dismount and are quite fiddly to handle/store.
Plus are a pain when towing.

Attachments

• D6E88600-7263-4D14-BF4E-CD051BA6F806.jpeg
    D6E88600-7263-4D14-BF4E-CD051BA6F806.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 51F09BA4-B146-4812-B446-BB637B330637.jpeg
    51F09BA4-B146-4812-B446-BB637B330637.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 580BA58B-76BB-4765-AEC4-92BB77C23A7F.jpeg
    580BA58B-76BB-4765-AEC4-92BB77C23A7F.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Hangie

Visit site
Buying not bespoke for sure will bring the cost down but the boat on photos is not 18ft for sure. In your case proportion will be way more “awkward”

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
All, unfortunately Sea Monkey has caught covid. He is doing OK but unfortunately he cannot give the boat I'm buying a once over? Anyone in the Yorkshire area on this forum free this Saturday 2pm fancy a day out in Driffield and some £££ ?‍♂️