My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

chillee

Visit site
Oh I see. Depends on how long launching takes for me I guess ... May consider a marina then ?‍♂️

Closest to me in Wokingham I think are:-
? Thames and kennet Marina
⚓ Windsor Marina / racecourse Marina
? Bray Marina
? Penton Hook marina

But these are less than an hours drive
⛵ Southampton
? Portsmouth
? London
For a boat like this, I would consider drystack. Then you don't have to antifoul her.
Somewhere like Southampton dry stack

limecc

Visit site
I wondered if there was room for a small pop up tent in the bow of ours. You know the kind that pops up in 2 seconds and takes 2 hours to fold up again :unsure::LOL:

Hangie

Visit site
For a boat like this, I would consider drystack. Then you don't have to antifoul her.
Somewhere like Southampton dry stack
Antifouling small boat is not so bad. I'm paying £275 for the job, plus £125 for a recovery on a trailer, lift for painting and launching. +VAT so not so bad and I got it always ready in the water if I want to go fishing at 6AM.

As for marina, questions is if you want to stay on Thames or not. Penton Hook is not bad, but please be aware there is a speed limit on thames - 5mph. And it is not a road where you can ignore and do more. If you go quicker you will create a wash and bounce everything around - including kayaks, paddle boards and kids swimming in the middle of the river. Not to mentioned every 2 mins someone will be shouting at you from theirs riverboats/back gardens to slow down! Finally there are never ending locks. In the seasonIt could be like 30min boating, 1h waiting for a lock, 30min boating, 1h lock. And in bowrider like that, locks wont be easy as you are very low profile so you wont be able to put ropes on bollards easily when water at the low end.
Oh and have I mentioned day boats renters who bounce like pinball from everything - they are fun to look at unless they hit you :)

I'm sure you can enjoy Thames in 40ft cruisers with glass of Prosecco in hand but in a small bowrider it wont be the same. At least it wasn't for me and now we are in Chichester Marina. Just over 1h drive from North Surrey. Check out
- the best spot in the area for a day on on a boat/beach.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
A boat like yours Tony doesn't take any effort launching, it's a pleasure. And you can keep a closer eye on it at home, tinker with it etc. No marina fees. Better to find a local farmer or caravan storage or dry stack if ever you get fed up of towing it to a holiday destination.

That's reassuring to know. Thanks. Can't wait to learn the ropes.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
If sensible I think so. Especially on the river. Will be a bit claustrophobic.

I agree with others on here though, probably it is the wrong boat for you, but if you keep it perhaps with another boat it can be a lot of fun too.
For instance we used to take ours down toSpain for 3 weeks in the summer, and also to Lake Annecy one year. Absolutely stunning place to be on the water.
Few pics to wet your appetite, plus one with a bimini up and with the cockpit tonneau cover.

Great photos ? looks like you had fun. do you use a boat transport company to get it to Spain?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Antifouling small boat is not so bad. I'm paying £275 for the job, plus £125 for a recovery on a trailer, lift for painting and launching. +VAT so not so bad and I got it always ready in the water if I want to go fishing at 6AM.

As for marina, questions is if you want to stay on Thames or not. Penton Hook is not bad, but please be aware there is a speed limit on thames - 5mph. And it is not a road where you can ignore and do more. If you go quicker you will create a wash and bounce everything around - including kayaks, paddle boards and kids swimming in the middle of the river. Not to mentioned every 2 mins someone will be shouting at you from theirs riverboats/back gardens to slow down! Finally there are never ending locks. In the seasonIt could be like 30min boating, 1h waiting for a lock, 30min boating, 1h lock. And in bowrider like that, locks wont be easy as you are very low profile so you wont be able to put ropes on bollards easily when water at the low end.
Oh and have I mentioned day boats renters who bounce like pinball from everything - they are fun to look at unless they hit you :)

I'm sure you can enjoy Thames in 40ft cruisers with glass of Prosecco in hand but in a small bowrider it wont be the same. At least it wasn't for me and now we are in Chichester Marina. Just over 1h drive from North Surrey. Check out
- the best spot in the area for a day on on a boat/beach.

That's true. May focus on the south coast instead of the Thames... albeit some good sights along the Thames. Chichester marina is a little further at 1hr 25 mins from me vs. Southampton which is 1hr. Not a deal breaker shall check it out. ?

Great vid. Is that you .. Alex? Definately a "to visit" place for us. We've been to west whitering beach a number of times.. . my girls love it there... Nice seeing it from a drone perspective.

limecc

Visit site
If considering Chichester area, which I would heartily recommend, then launching from Hayling Yacht Co would be a good bet. I've looked at many ramps between Calshot and Chichester Marina and that's my favourite for ease of accessibility from the motorway, condition, price and tidal window, and there's docking, although parking might be tight. We used the campsite next door.

chillee

Visit site
Great photos ? looks like you had fun. do you use a boat transport company to get it to Spain?
No used to tow it.used to tow a caravan down with an inflatable zodiac on the roof and outboard in the boot.
Then left caravan down there in storage, bought my first boat on a trailer, and took that down. The campsite we used had it's own moorings onto a lovely river and out to sea.
Lake Annecy, did the same but rented a static caravan directly on the lake with its own slipway and mooring.
Caravan gone now, preferring hotels, and my 25ft caravan on water :)

Hangie

Visit site
That's true. May focus on the south coast instead of the Thames... albeit some good sights along the Thames. Chichester marina is a little further at 1hr 25 mins from me vs. Southampton which is 1hr. Not a deal breaker shall check it out. ?

Great vid. Is that you .. Alex? Definately a "to visit" place for us. We've been to west whitering beach a number of times.. . my girls love it there... Nice seeing it from a drone perspective.

Regarding the distance, if you stay in Southampton area, to go to the sea you need to drive through the city, might not be perfect with a trailer.
While Chichester Marina/harbour even if a bit further is easily accessible (beside last few miles of A286 when everyone goes to West wittering).

I personally prefer the Chichester harbour with all pleasure boats rather than busy shipping channels of Southampton or Portsmouth. Just be prepared you might not always be able to leave for the sea in a small boat as inlet waters can be quite rough with southern wind over tide.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
In the size of Boat you are buying It is not practical at all to have a Canvas where you can stand up. Scotch up is Ok but stand no way

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Regarding the distance, if you stay in Southampton area, to go to the sea you need to drive through the city, might not be perfect with a trailer.
While Chichester Marina/harbour even if a bit further is easily accessible (beside last few miles of A286 when everyone goes to West wittering).

I personally prefer the Chichester harbour with all pleasure boats rather than busy shipping channels of Southampton or Portsmouth. Just be prepared you might not always be able to leave for the sea in a small boat as inlet waters can be quite rough with southern wind over tide.

Didn't think about that. Also, will I be able to take the bowrider right up to the beach? Need to learn about tide times.

limecc

Visit site
Lymington is 1hr 20min from you and also a great base to consider.

Anyway now's the time to get accessories you've possibly not got yet. Such as: (in no particular order)
Handheld vhf with DSC
Imray tide planner app
Towable toy with bridle
GPS Plotter/Sonar
Fenders
Flush muffs
Collapsible hose pipe and nozzle
Anchor, chain and rope
'Anchor buddy' bungee
Self inflating LJ's
Buoyancy aids
Waterproof bags/rucksack/phone wallet
Etc etc

Oh and Bigplumbs recommends a cheap Chinese inverter and kettle for brewing up :coffee::coffee::unsure::unsure::sneaky::sneaky::p

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
If considering Chichester area, which I would heartily recommend, then launching from Hayling Yacht Co would be a good bet. I've looked at many ramps between Calshot and Chichester Marina and that's my favourite for ease of accessibility from the motorway, condition, price and tidal window, and there's docking, although parking might be tight. We used the campsite next door.

So based on this for 7 months... is that £269.6 x 5.5m = £1482.80 ?

Screenshot_20220118-213656_Chrome.jpg

limecc

Visit site
So based on this for 7 months... is that £269.6 x 5.5m = £1482.80 ?

View attachment 128776
No not to store the boat at Hayling or anywhere else because it means to commit. Just use their ramp to launch your boat. Far easier to reach by road than Chichester Marina which is behind a lock and a long way from the sea. Are you aware of Boatlaunch website?

If you decide to store or not, consider a tracker like a Rewire Security DB2. Only two wires to connect.

Last edited:

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Lymington is 1hr 20min from you and also a great base to consider.

Anyway now's the time to get accessories you've possibly not got yet. Such as: (in no particular order)
Handheld vhf with DSC
Imray tide planner app
Towable toy with bridle
GPS Plotter/Sonar
Fenders
Flush muffs
Collapsible hose pipe and nozzle
Anchor, chain and rope
'Anchor buddy' bungee
Self inflating LJ's
Buoyancy aids
Waterproof bags/rucksack/phone wallet
Etc etc

Oh and Bigplumbs recommends a cheap Chinese inverter and kettle for brewing up :coffee::coffee::unsure::unsure::sneaky::sneaky::p

Did not see that marina but yes its just past Southampton. It has many Google reviews but I'm assuming not as busy though? Also, can one crossover to the Isle of white from there?

....and great, that's exactly what I needed to start my checklist of accessories to buy... thanks... that's the fun bit.

I'm a big of a gadget nut (our home is completely smart) so interested to see what new tech is useful. (May need to get some extra batteries or a solar panel ... joking... maybe ?‍♂️?)

Ps. I've seen the thread on the inverter... but may just take a thermal flask for tea and coffee ?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
No not to store the boat at Hayling or anywhere else because it means to commit. Just use their ramp to launch your boat. Far easier to reach by road than Chichester Marina which is behind a lock and a long way from the sea.

Oh I see. Assuming thats just a small launching fee then. That makes sense.