My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’ve really enjoyed your voyage this past few weeks but can I (without offending you) be brutal.
Its the wrong boat!
I don’t see the point in buying a cheap boat to start with if you have the cash to buy something better. If you buy for say £30-40k that you don’t have to start adapting to family requirements you will get most of that money back when you upgrade.
My first boat was a Sealine 195 and met family requirements
Sporty looking
Toilet
Cooking
Towable ( we used to go to Yugoslavia…… that dates me)
Small family can have sleep overs.
There must be a modern day equivalent of the Sealine 195 that would suit you.

Please take this comment as trying to be constructive and not being critical. I love your enthusiasm and energy.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Good luck with your purchase.

Just a small point, with that much canvas up you'll be able to sail everywhere...

Seriously it will make handling a challenge in anything of a breeze.

Thought about that... was hoping someone could design it a little better to consider the streamlines ?‍♂️

Nito

Visit site
I’ve really enjoyed your voyage this past few weeks but can I (without offending you) be brutal.
Its the wrong boat!

Completely agree with this and also where my first comment on this thread was coming from. For your requirements, you really want to be looking at a cabin/sports cruiser imho or with your budget an offshore cruiser kept at a Marina is also in reach (though I can understand you not wanting to go straight to this level of liability). Something that already has camping covers, a toilet, overnight accommodation and large and wide enough that every movement isn't rocking the boat and everyone isn't getting soaked.

Things like Sealine S23 trailer able, or being totally bias for an offshore in budget, any number of Sunseekers, Fairline etc!! But be careful opening that Pandora's box, but now that you've mentioned a bigger budget ;)

We skipped the starter level boats and went straight to a twin engine 40ft in a Marina!

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Its the wrong boat!
I don’t see the point in buying a cheap boat to start with if you have the cash to buy something better. If you buy for say £30-40k that you don’t have to start adapting to family requirements you will get most of that money back when you upgrade.
Sporty looking
Toilet
Cooking

Please take this comment as trying to be constructive and not being critical. I love your enthusiasm and energy.

That's ok.. don't think I remember the last time I've been offended... think you've just persuaded me to buy 2 now.. thanks ?. I really like the 180 bowrider looks fun.... any good websites / companies to look at for a more family boat?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Completely agree with this and also where my first comment on this thread was coming from. For your requirements, you really want to be looking at a cabin/sports cruiser imho or with your budget an offshore cruiser kept at a Marina is also in reach (though I can understand you not wanting to go straight to this level of liability). Something that already has camping covers, a toilet, overnight accommodation and large and wide enough that every movement isn't rocking the boat and everyone isn't getting soaked.

Things like Sealine S23 trailer able, or being totally bias for an offshore in budget, any number of Sunseekers, Fairline etc!! But be careful opening that Pandora's box, but now that you've mentioned a bigger budget ;)

We skipped the starter level boats and went straight to a twin engine 40ft in a Marina!

40 foot ?

Nito

Visit site
40 foot ?

Yes eek! We started out contemplating Dory's or Shetlands just to dip a toe in the water, with the intention to launch it from a trailer or keep it moored on a river to avoid incurring Marina fees. We quickly came to the conclusion that launching wouldn't be for us plus all the local launches are packed in nice weather, river was nice but I'd get fed up going up and down the same stretch and at river speeds. That left Marina. Always loved Sunseekers so we set off looking at a San Remo 33 entry level and then got hooked in to our journey from there. Took a year to find the right one, lots of frustrations along the way and it's not plain sailing when you get one either as there is a lot to take onboard (excuse the pun) with regards to all the systems a boat has etc. Like you I was always into my cars (and motorbikes) but not being able to use the performance is frustrating, boating gives you a freedom out there on the water. We don't go fast, it's just wonderful to have so much space around you. We had some fantastic days last year. We've had a few boat problems but it's a case of systematically seeing them through and ending up with a better boat in the process but it takes a bit (or a lot) more time, money and effort maintenance wise compared to a trailerboat or something with an outboard but then being in a Marina makes a days boating so much easier, and cooler.

Do you have any Marinas near you?

limecc

Visit site
Instead of full cover, a bimini might work and wrap up well in case of the worst? Depends on what you plan to do with her. We are fair weather weekend boaters, but that would change upon retirement. Hence looking to trailer something much bigger at that point.

School or work obviously a factor for you and how you can use it. Even if you have extra budget, how much do you want to sink into a money pit, as opposed to say buying a second property to do up or rent? Or making some other investment? So many decisions. Ongoing costs rise dramatically with size.

No big deal if you sell your new-to-you boat after a year or two and depending on the initial deal, somebody could end up selling for more than the purchase price. Enjoy your boat. Much better for towing a ringo than a 40 footer and you'll be glad when it comes to fuelling her.

Last edited:

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Instead of full cover, a bimini might work and wrap up well in case of the worst? Depends on what you plan to do with her. We are fair weather weekend boaters, but that would change upon retirement. Hence looking to trailer something much bigger at that point.

School or work obviously a factor for you and how you can use it. Even if you have extra budget, how much do you want to sink into a money pit, as opposed to say buying a second property to do up or rent? Or making some other investment? So many decisions. Ongoing costs rise dramatically with size.

No big deal if you sell your new-to-you boat after a year or two and depending on the initial deal, somebody could end up selling for more than the purchase price. Enjoy your boat. Much better for towing a ringo than a 40 footer and you'll be glad when it comes to fuelling her.

We have several different investments and also quite a number of properties been amassing since 2005. . currently in the process of buying another 4 .. but my wife knows I've always loved boats so got a pass to buy one now ?

True on sinking money into a money pit... always seen money as just a tool but of course still frugal and somewhat sensible with it (was bought up in poverty so still value it !!)

Have a 9 to 5 too but have 7 weeks hols and more for studying each year can divert towards this hobby... most other ventures we have are largely passive apart from our photography company and yes need to think about kids school times. ?Really hoping long weekends of boating can be done in the summer.

chillee

Visit site
There is plenty boats between 9 and 90 :)

Bowrider like that got very low free boards. to have canopy where you can stand will be a significant construction on the top. Check out the example, not very drag efficient.

Maybe think about bow cover to have a semi cuddy cabin, will be also way cheaper plus will help with the water intake on sea.

Bimini and canopy will require torx/Allen to dismount and are quite fiddly to handle/store.
Plus are a pain when towing.

I had a bimini on my 20ft bowrider, and left it up and wrapped the canvas around the horizontal bar, and had a cover to go over it. Looked fine.

For what it is worth Tony, my recommendation would be.
Have tonneau cover made for the bow and for the cockpit. Keeps the weather out when stored, and if the weather is a bit inclement or chilly, can leave the bow cover on to stop the wind coming through the walkway.
Have a good sized Bimini made with waterproof material. If it did rain, you at least have some level of protection, although some rain will come through the sides. That with waterproof jackets would get through showers.

I don't think you would really want to head out on a crappy weather day anyway with the kids.

If the weather did turn, the kids can always crawl int the cuddy under the cover and lay on the bow seats. My son used to do this and have a kip on the way home.
At least this way, you are spending enough money to protect the boat when stored, give a little help in bad weather, but not over investing. My guess is, you will get the bug and want to change the boat pretty quickly once you get a feel for things.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Yes eek! We started out contemplating Dory's or Shetlands just to dip a toe in the water, with the intention to launch it from a trailer or keep it moored on a river to avoid incurring Marina fees. We quickly came to the conclusion that launching wouldn't be for us plus all the local launches are packed in nice weather, river was nice but I'd get fed up going up and down the same stretch and at river speeds. That left Marina. Always loved Sunseekers so we set off looking at a San Remo 33 entry level and then got hooked in to our journey from there. Took a year to find the right one, lots of frustrations along the way and it's not plain sailing when you get one either as there is a lot to take onboard (excuse the pun) with regards to all the systems a boat has etc. Like you I was always into my cars (and motorbikes) but not being able to use the performance is frustrating, boating gives you a freedom out there on the water. We don't go fast, it's just wonderful to have so much space around you. We had some fantastic days last year. We've had a few boat problems but it's a case of systematically seeing them through and ending up with a better boat in the process but it takes a bit (or a lot) more time, money and effort maintenance wise compared to a trailerboat or something with an outboard but then being in a Marina makes a days boating so much easier, and cooler.

Do you have any Marinas near you?

Oh I see. Depends on how long launching takes for me I guess ... May consider a marina then ?‍♂️

Closest to me in Wokingham I think are:-
? Thames and kennet Marina
⚓ Windsor Marina / racecourse Marina
? Bray Marina
? Penton Hook marina

But these are less than an hours drive
⛵ Southampton
? Portsmouth
? London

julians

Visit site
Its the wrong boat!
Sporty looking
Toilet
Cooking

I said in post #74 that I see Tony in a 60 foot flybridge based in the med before the end of the summer? . I stand by that prediction......

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
I had a bimini on my 20ft bowrider, and left it up and wrapped the canvas around the horizontal bar, and had a cover to go over it. Looked fine.

For what it is worth Tony, my recommendation would be.
Have tonneau cover made for the bow and for the cockpit. Keeps the weather out when stored, and if the weather is a bit inclement or chilly, can leave the bow cover on to stop the wind coming through the walkway.
Have a good sized Bimini made with waterproof material. If it did rain, you at least have some level of protection, although some rain will come through the sides. That with waterproof jackets would get through showers.

I don't think you would really want to head out on a crappy weather day anyway with the kids.

If the weather did turn, the kids can always crawl int the cuddy under the cover and lay on the bow seats. My son used to do this and have a kip on the way home.
At least this way, you are spending enough money to protect the boat when stored, give a little help in bad weather, but not over investing. My guess is, you will get the bug and want to change the boat pretty quickly once you get a feel for things.

Googled tonneau bow cover and that looks great ? is it safe for kids to go under whilst on?

limecc

Visit site
A boat like yours Tony doesn't take any effort launching, it's a pleasure. And you can keep a closer eye on it at home, tinker with it etc. No marina fees. Better to find a local farmer or caravan storage or dry stack if ever you get fed up of towing it to a holiday destination.

chillee

Visit site
Googled tonneau bow cover and that looks great ? is it safe for kids to go under whilst on?
If sensible I think so. Especially on the river. Will be a bit claustrophobic.

I agree with others on here though, probably it is the wrong boat for you, but if you keep it perhaps with another boat it can be a lot of fun too.
For instance we used to take ours down toSpain for 3 weeks in the summer, and also to Lake Annecy one year. Absolutely stunning place to be on the water.
Few pics to wet your appetite, plus one with a bimini up and with the cockpit tonneau cover.

Attachments

• Mariah Annecy 1.jpg
    Mariah Annecy 1.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Mariah Annecy 2.jpg
    Mariah Annecy 2.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 12
  • Mariah annecy 3.jpg
    Mariah annecy 3.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 12
  • Mariah Annecy 4.jpg
    Mariah Annecy 4.jpg