Mallaig marina

NormanS

Visit site
I didn't realise that Mallaig claimed to be a marina. I thought it was just some pontoons in the bay, which is very exposed to NW winds. Maybe they call it a marina to try to justify the frightening charges, like £12 for less than four hours. :disgust:

Minchsailor

Visit site
Actually it is £12 just for tying up. I grumbled loudly.

It was full price when they had just opened and there were no 'facilities' at all. Should have been reduced fees. Tried to get my laundry done at the Mission and was told (not altogether politely) to go away. Had to get the train to Arisaig. I could have gone there in the first place.

[I}Can't help but the fish and chips in the railway station is excellent.[/I]

+1

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Actually it is £12 just for tying up. I grumbled loudly.

It was full price when they had just opened and there were no 'facilities' at all. Should have been reduced fees. Tried to get my laundry done at the Mission and was told (not altogether politely) to go away. Had to get the train to Arisaig. I could have gone there in the first place.

I found Arisaig this year and have no plans to go back to Mallaig, except by train.

Quandary

Visit site
The guy who collected the dues was a bit embarassed by the charges too, and use to knock a couple of metres off. He also used to keep a load of containers on a yard trolley so that you could go round to the harbour to buy Diesel at fishing boat prices. Both customs seem to have ceased.
Mallaigs problem (like Ullapool) is that it is part of a commercial fishing harbour, they would be much happier not to have to put up with visiting yachts but changing times have caught up with them.
I was told by a local that the delayed shoreside facilities were the fault of the landlord who was supposed to contribute, that impresario guy that also owns all the south side of Loch Nevis and has been attempting 21st century clearances there, Cameron MacIntosh?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The guy who collected the dues was a bit embarassed by the charges too, and use to knock a couple of metres off. He also used to keep a load of containers on a yard trolley so that you could go round to the harbour to buy Diesel at fishing boat prices. Both customs seem to have ceased.

When I was there in 2013 you could buy diesel from Johnson's (?) and have it delivered to the entry to the pontoon. Reasonable price, nothing spectacular.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I was told by a local that the delayed shoreside facilities were the fault of the landlord who was supposed to contribute, that impresario guy that also owns all the south side of Loch Nevis and has been attempting 21st century clearances there, Cameron MacIntosh?

I gather there was some sort of dispute with the landlord, but not sure it is Cameron Mackintosh.

dunedin

Visit site
Don't know about the toilets completion - but we left the boat there for a week or so late seasons this year.
Harbour master was very friendly and helpful. Also as we were leaving the boat and some northerlies expected he specifically found us one of the most sheltered berths.
To us it was preferable to Arisaig for a stopover, as the available moorings were a long way out and would have neede to leave dinghy and outboard ashore for a week. (And having previously ridden out a F10 on the moorings in Arisaig, it was like a 48 hour beat to windward due to the waves in Arisaig and circa 4-5 boats came ashore from the moorings - exceptional weather but not the most sheltered place either)

biscuit

Visit site
Whoops... I have been in a couple of times recently. The shower block buildings were well under way. On the plus side, the HM was very helpful, as was a local (peripatetic) engineer. The berths are a very generous size and very stable.
Fuel is available in cans and Mallaig is a great little town for a short stop. The weather needs some improvement though !

ianj99

Visit site
Mallaigs problem (like Ullapool) is that it is part of a commercial fishing harbour, they would be much happier not to have to put up with visiting yachts but changing times have caught up with them.

Sounds like Mallaig marina's operators need to take some lessons from Tarbert Harbour Authority (Tabert Loch Fyne).

They are busy having another main pontoon installed so there is clearly a demand for berths, making over 160 finger berths available.
The amenities block is still on the cards and as the current facilities are pretty dire, hopefully it will be built sooner rather than later.

NEW YEAR 2015 BOOST FOR TARBERT HARBOUR FROM THE COASTAL COMMUNITIES FUND

Summer Pontoon Upgrade: A scheme to upgrade, redesign and improve the summer section of pontoons and provide additional berthing facilities for larger boats has been recognised by the Coast Communities Fund with an award of £500,000.

The Coast Communities Fund is funded by the Government with income from the Crown Estate’s marine assets. It is delivered by the Big Lottery Fund on behalf of UK Government and the Devolved Administrations in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. 27 coastal towns and villages across Scotland will benefit from £9.58m of UK government funding through the Coastal Communities.

The project will see the final phase of the upgrade of the Harbour pontoons and the first stage of the larger Harbour Development, which also includes for new shower, toilet and laundry facilities and a new visitor reception/heritage centre, separate funding is still being sourced for both of these new builds and all avenues are being explored in order to bring this project to fruition.

http://www.tarbertharbour.co.uk/

pagoda

Visit site
I gather there was some sort of dispute with the landlord, but not sure it is Cameron Mackintosh.

He owns the new building and was not apparently happy with the standards of construction / materials during construction. Part of it will become an "artisan bakers" - part for the marina. As a consequence things became considerably delayed. The gatekeeper/ collector of monies was much embarrassed by the problem- and the official reluctance to reduce fees due to reduced amenities. Though exposed a bit to N or NW weather it's not a bad place to visit otherwise. If you don't like it you can always anchor in Loch Nevis or at Isle Ornsay?

Aja

Visit site
"Sounds like Mallaig marina's operators need to take some lessons from Tarbert Harbour Authority (Tabert Loch Fyne)."

Sounds like they already have!!! For many many years until Tarbert got some competition from Portavadie they were complete rip off merchants. Anyone who has been in Tarbert in the past will remember being charged top buck for being rafted 6+out with no amenities at all.

I can remember when anchoring in Tarbert (admittedly with tripping line) for free was possible. In fact preferable.

regards

Donald

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I can remember when anchoring in Tarbert (admittedly with tripping line) for free was possible. In fact preferable.

I haven't been in since they turned it into a car park, though I did once use the visitors's pontoon below the sailmaker's place.

Gordonmc

Visit site
At the risk of drifting the thread further, I hope they sort out the payments for Tarbert visitor berthing soon.
On my last visit I was directed to pay in the chandlers' porta-cabin and duly handed over 2x £28 for two nights stay.
Wandering back to the notice boards I spotted a sign offering half price berthing for the last night of a multiple night stay.
When I pointed that out to the wummin the response could be summed up as "computer says no".
Shame. I like Tarbert.

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
At the risk of drifting the thread further, I hope they sort out the payments for Tarbert visitor berthing soon.
On my last visit I was directed to pay in the chandlers' porta-cabin and duly handed over 2x £28 for two nights stay.
Wandering back to the notice boards I spotted a sign offering half price berthing for the last night of a multiple night stay.
When I pointed that out to the wummin the response could be summed up as "computer says no".
Shame. I like Tarbert.

Well I can remember staying two nights and only paying for one when the offer was on. Don't know if it was a limited time offer and perhaps the sign should have been removed? Either way not great response from them.

ianj99

Visit site
"Sounds like Mallaig marina's operators need to take some lessons from Tarbert Harbour Authority (Tabert Loch Fyne)."

Sounds like they already have!!! For many many years until Tarbert got some competition from Portavadie they were complete rip off merchants. Anyone who has been in Tarbert in the past will remember being charged top buck for being rafted 6+out with no amenities at all.

Donald

You may be right about competition forcing prices down, but their berthing charges are getting on for half the other marinas and they welcome liveaboards, which is not something the rest do.

Gordonmc,
When I was berthed there, the Ardfern chandlery didn't collect the visitors berthing charges, there as an honesty box on the amenities block wall. Presumably this was ignored / overlooked and therefore removed. I think if you had contacted the marina office, they would have explained why the 1/2 price second night offer wasn't applied or refunded the overcharge.

I like Tarbert, it has lots to offer, several good walks and is very sheltered. Its a bit noisy when the fair is in town but the noise stops by 1am. As a liveaboard location, being a commercial port, the fishing boats come and go at all hours, so you need to be a deep sleeper. (most of them are not subtle in the use of the throttle when leaving the quay!)

I wonder whether the charges will go up when the new facilities are built....

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
You may be right about competition forcing prices down, but their berthing charges are getting on for half the other marinas and they welcome liveaboards, which is not something the rest do.

Think that statements needs qualified. You must surely be referring to annual/ long term berthing charges?

The nightly charge is comparable to other full service marinas without offering anything like the same level of service. Nothing against Tarbert though just the marina charges for visitors. Suppose it helps keep the fees down for locals and long term berthers!

ianj99

Visit site

Think that statements needs qualified. You must surely be referring to annual/ long term berthing charges?

The nightly charge is comparable to other full service marinas without offering anything like the same level of service. Nothing against Tarbert though just the marina charges for visitors. Suppose it helps keep the fees down for locals and long term berthers!

How does the service differ from other marinas?
There is a chandlery, water & power, showers, toilets, shops, hotels, galleries, decent walks for those with dogs, restaurants & chippy, and the ferry to Portavadie if you wish to use their spa, pool, beauty salon etc.

There will be a laundry when the new block is built, otherwise there is one in the sailmakers nearby.

Having stayed long term and overnight at Ardfern, Portavadie and Dunstaffnage, there is nothing to separate them all other than perhaps the age of the on site facilities. The charges are comparable to an overnight stay on a camp site with a caravan or motorhome.