MacGregor 26, opinions please ?

dancrane

Visit site
If I start a thread entitled "Canadian Breakfast: opinions please", is it possible I might read some points of view on boats?

Don't you complain, Madhatter: you started this!

Lakesailor

Visit site
English Breakfast is second rate swill floating in grease
You obviously never had the benefit of a breakfast at our B&B

Stockghyll Cottage Full English Breakfast

Some of the Freshly Cooked Breakfast Foods You Will Enjoy are:-

Sausages:
Hand made Cumberland breakfast sausages by Richardsons Butchers at the roundabout in Bowness.

Eggs:
Free Range from Bannerigg Farm on the main road into Windermere. Gerty and the girls get out in the fields in all weathers just for you.

Bacon:
Hand-cut locally smoked bacon. Not too salty.

Mushrooms/Tomatoes:
Not always local, but always fresh.

Hash Brown:
A tasty morsel to finish it off.

Marmalade/Preserves:
Chunky and home-made by ourselves and our neighbour Margaret who was a domestic science teacher at St Anne's girls school before retiring, with the added bonus of using local damsons, blackberries and brambles from the fields and lanes around Stockghyll Cottage.

Fresh Home Made Bread Daily

We bake fresh bread for you to enjoy with your breakfast, either on its own or with the homemade preserves, or toasted with or after your breakfast

dancrane

Visit site
Gentlemen, I'm reluctant to make such an unsavoury comment in the midst of such epicurean reflective contentment, but...

...I believe this thread has been HIJACKED!!!

...there's a company in Manitoba, Canada, called...MACGREGOR FAMILY FOODS!!!

Was the Canadian food theme here, deliberate, or just confusion? Opinion on the grassy knoll, inclines towards conspiracy.

Inclines, like a water-ballasted sailboat. :D

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
You obviously never had the benefit of a breakfast at our B&B

I am not seeing any poached eggs on a bed of hot smoked salmon and steamed spinach on a English muffin smothered in hollandaise sauce..... or a short stack with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, accompanied by crispy back bacon and warm maple syrup from the Gaspe.....

rotrax

Visit site
Poutine comes from the nation of Quebec and the others hail from Newfoundland, but have been around since before it entered confederation; when it was still a British colony. You'll have to dig a lot deeper to find real Canadian cuisine ;)

I believe there is a Newfounland delicacy called Scrod. A sailor, been long at sea stopped in the Harbour and asked where he could get Scrod. The Harbourmaster said " Big Maggies Bar. Do you know, you are the first one who has asked for it in the past pluperfect!"

dancrane

Visit site
Sounds great! Are they available from MacGregors, of Manitoba? Perhaps available in 26 different varieties?? :)

MagicIsland

Visit site
All thid food talk is great however back to the thread...

We have owned a Mac 26X for 18months now and are very happy with the amount of time we spend on water.

The year before we bought the Mac we had 1 week hired motoring on the Norfolk Broads, 2 weeks bareboat charter in Greece and another weeks hired sailing on the Norfolk broads all in all you can imagine how much we spent on getting on the water.

In the last 18months we have had many a weekend all year round motoring and sailing on the river Nene, 3 weeks sailing in June on the Golfe de Morbian (West France) , 2 seperate weeks sailing on the Broads and 12 long English weekends in Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk. This year we are planning 3 weeks in the Med pottering arounds France and Spain.

This is what the Mac does for us, my wife and I both work and live 50miles inland, we want to get out as much as we can, to as many places as we can, if the weather is bad we can stay inland on a river, if the forecast is good we can head out to sea, if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction for a round trip, we can sail in the best direction and then motor back to our mooring at up to 20knts with the 50hp on the back, if we poke our nose out and get scared we can drop the sails and motor back and be in the pub before the weather gets too bad.

The Mac as a 5ft fully lifting Keels so we can explore some of the shallowest creeks around the east coast drawing just 12inchs drying out in some beautiful places. The cockpit is very spaceous for sailing, the cabin has a 7ft by 6ft double in the aft and 2 singles or a double in the fore with a seperate heads,suits a family 2+2.
Does she sail well.....well good enough for me not to know otherwise, I've only been sailing 2 years but love every minute were afloat.:)

MagicIsland

Visit site
No - they actually recommend motoring with a full ballast tank. Copied from the manual:

It goes on to allow motoring with an empty ballast tank, but gives a load of conditions and restrictions, all on page one - see for yourself:

http://www.macgregor26.com/instruction_manual/OWNERS INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

How much ballast does a rib with a 250HP on the back have .......

The manual instructions explain how to empty the ballast tank by motoring at 6knts before you let rip !!!!

MagicIsland

Visit site
I've never sailed one so I'm reluctant to join the usual chorus of things that are wrong with them. I have my doubts though on a) watching them in action, and b) stories like these:

newsimgcapsizedyacht1jpg.jpg

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/ferry-in-solent-yacht-rescue-27482.aspx

That's a Mac 26 on its side...

Or this one...

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

Is that the same Mac that tried to cut in front of that tanker in the solent while racing and lost it's mast........death trap :)

MagicIsland

Visit site
Exactly my point when commenting of the lack of trim when planing.
Someone else poo-pooed my suggestion.

I don't know what trim is but when we motor our Mac over 20Knts and loose our butties over the back and can't see where were going we press a button the speed thingy and the front of the mac goes down so we can go faster and the dog can hang over the side with its ears really flapping :D

Madhatter

wp.me
None food related post

Well, a whole can of worms opened up here !
So what boat would you choose to meet the following requirement seeing as the Macgregor is "the spawn of the devil !":eek::D

1/ trailer sailer
2/ beachable
3/ for a couple (in their 60s.)to have a holiday on as well as pleasure sailing
4/ clean inside and easy to clean as well
5/ ability to do canal work for long trip
6/ easy mast dropping single handed
7/ substancial room inside
8/ 6ft. headroom
9/ newish design
10/ between 10--15 K
11/ bearing in mind the canal/broads trips good motoring ability
12/ moderate maintainance
13/ ability in the sailing department limited
14/ SWMBO not the best of sailors
16/ store at home
17/ larger than 21 ft.
18/ easy to launch/recover

and several other requirements too many to list (without boring you)

dancrane

Visit site
Mister, this here's a breakfast forum. Where d'you get the idea we know anything about boats?

Have you looked at Hunters? Nice little yachts. Lots about, mostly smaller than you're looking for though. Good sailers:

http://hunterboats.apolloduck.com/boats.phtml?id=388

Not much headroom, though. And only a small galley, so: limited breakfasts. Now, talking of breakfasts...

(sorry, those Hunters are mostly NOT centreboarders, so not a lot of use...I told you this is a breakfast forum... :D)

Last edited:

RobF

Visit site
So, to summarise, we're suggesting that we fill the ballast tanks of MacGs with Velveeta to improve stability and give sustenance whilst doing a trans-atlantic circuit. The outboard should be at least 90HP (Halloumi Power) and the centre cheese board can be raised and lowered. Importantly, you don't want to be out in more than a Beauvoorde F5?

Last edited: