MacGregor 26, opinions please ?

Irish sailor

Visit site
I have noticed that these appear to be quite cheap so I was wondering why :confused:
I have had a MacGregor 26X for a few years now and I must say it has proven to be an excellent family boat. I am not a very experienced sailor but I have sailed on lakes and on open seas and the boat has behaved well. I tow it with the family estate car. On decent sailing days she will sail well, she won't win any races but that suits me, on calm days you have a 50hp engine to play with. Inside the cabin you have almost 6ft of headroom and a decent size heads, I have a chemical toilet. If you follow the instructions and ensure the water ballast is right and you operate the centre board and rudders correctly it is a safe boat. My only issue is that it is a little slab sided and catches the wind when you are mooring into tight spaces. It is a hybrid boat and does sailing and motoring well, there will be better sail boats and better motor boats but I do enjoy the flexibility the MacGregor brings

dancrane

Visit site
"If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread..."

Unsubscribing. :sleep:

Sorry, Irish. Look at those dates. Even the most recent opinion (whatever it was worth) was more than a decade ago.

Try making your defence of this design in a fresh thread. I'm still quite interested - whatever I may have said all those years ago. ?

Wansworth

Visit site
There’s one for sale in Galicia.A few years ago Imet the man who ran or runs the junk rig association and he had one junk riggedtowed it behind hiss car and had a mast that fitted in the length of the boat,spacious interior I recall